Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ressurection of a BRM Cox_ba12

Ressurection of a BRM Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by getback Today at 12:19 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:29 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by rdw777 Today at 9:55 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 9:49 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 9:39 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:32 am

» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ressurection of a BRM Empty
Live on Patrol

Ressurection of a BRM

Go down

Ressurection of a BRM Empty Ressurection of a BRM

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:23 pm

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Ressurection of a BRM Empty Re: Ressurection of a BRM

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:37 pm

Good work, Ron. I can't see where it was ever broken. It'll probably fly better this time around.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:01 pm

Hey Ron, could you try downsizing your pictures a little? They are quite large, and the only way I can see them is by downloading it.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 pm

microflitedude wrote:Hey Ron, could you try downsizing your pictures a little? They are quite large, and the only way I can see them is by downloading it.
He puts the link under it. Or, right click and select View Image.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:01 am

I'm only seeing the mota too.

Once downloaded tho it looks Wundabar Ron.
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:02 am

Thanks Guys,

It now sports ply doublers, glassed in nose and epoxied firewall. I also epoxied and glassed the LE and TE where they split.Hopefully she can now withstand the rigors of my training.

I will try and figure out the picture issue.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:32 am

Just a quick update, I put the BRM through it's paces last night, it seems to fly much better with nice tight loops. I also went inverted for a couple seconds and then flipped topside and put it into the ground lol!

Things just seem to be happening too fast! I am having trouble getting my bearings from time to time. Good news is the nose held really well even after it came in under full speed.

I had a 6x3 on it to slow it down some. I have a 6x2 and I wonder if that would slow it down enough while still providing enough torque to stunt.

Guess the only way to find out is to try it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 am

Hello Ron, I myself was never quite happy with the run of the 6x2. I had a black Cox 6x2 and also a APC 6x2. Both props did nothing more than beat the air. The only way to know is to try it, you may just like it. They had no drive for me and the engine sounded like it was gonna launch the piston. I certainly would even try and launch a bit richer to try and keep things a bit more steady. Even adding additional head shims will tame the power and probably even give you better fuel economy. You would have to lean the engine a tad more to regain the power which is why the economy would increase. Going out on line length an additional 2' or so could also help if possible. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:55 am

Ken Cook wrote: Hello Ron, I myself was never quite happy with the run of the 6x2. I had a black Cox 6x2 and also a APC 6x2. Both props did nothing more than beat the air. The only way to know is to try it, you may just like it. They had no drive for me and the engine sounded like it was gonna launch the piston. I certainly would even try and launch a bit richer to try and keep things a bit more steady. Even adding additional head shims will tame the power and probably even give you better fuel economy. You would have to lean the engine a tad more to regain the power which is why the economy would increase. Going out on line length an additional 2' or so could also help if possible. Ken

Ok Ken,

I guess it's time to do some experimenting. Problem with Cox engines is that they get cranky when they run slow. Sometimes even cutting out. I am sure it can be done. I could also just put the Babe Bee back on. I need to fuel proof the Bean and see if it works better.

I also need to set up another handle at 35' I am at 30ish right now. I have to be careful as there is a large Elm that likes to eat little planes looming in the background.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 am

Maybe try a 6x4 and really richen it up Ron. It should have plenty of pull even blubbering rich. Short flight time, but it would allow you to get some easy circuts in,,so you can stay ahead and increase your experience.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:32 am

PV Pilot wrote:Maybe try a 6x4 and really richen it up Ron. It should have plenty of pull even blubbering rich. Short flight time, but it would allow you to get some easy circuts in,,so you can stay ahead and increase your experience.

I think I have some of those. I also have some 5.5x4s and Tornado 5x4's so I suppose I have options.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:47 am

cribbs74 wrote:

Things just seem to be happening too fast! I am having trouble getting my bearings from time to time

Ron:

Ah, yes same for me with my BRM/TD .051 combo on 35 foot lines! Actually my problem is keeping rather than getting my bearings. I start out fine but THEN............ Wink

Thus my interest in larger and slower 1/2A stunters like the "Pinto" by RSM.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:56 pm

cribbs74 wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:Maybe try a 6x4 and really richen it up Ron. It should have plenty of pull even blubbering rich. Short flight time, but it would allow you to get some easy circuts in,,so you can stay ahead and increase your experience.

I think I have some of those. I also have some 5.5x4s and Tornado 5x4's so I suppose I have options.

There ya go!. Each plane flys differently, so you have to learn all of there characteristics. But once you have baseline experience of what you need to do, all the rest falls into place.

Mindset and preparation,,get into your zen mode before flight,,see the plane in flight beforehand. You ever watch the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds and see there prep meeting before a show?. Once they get done talking about the show, they go thru there flight ritual, envisioning the moves and call outs buy the lead pilot,,all with there eyes closed and waving there hands as they envision the flight.

Ok, before you all start laughing and guffawing at PV Pilot because he has obviously fallen off the deep end year ago (yes, I Know), It really does help to envision the flight beforehand. Maybe not taking to the extreme as the demonstration teams do, but a more subtle version of the same thing. Talk your self(quietly) thru the flight, call out or envision your next move. Try not to allow the fast heartbeat excitement to override the grey mass on top.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Keith:

Very Zen indeed! During CL flight I chant Ohmmmmmmmmmm.......................

lol!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:34 pm

PV Pilot wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

There ya go!. Each plane flys differently, so you have to learn all of there characteristics. But once you have baseline experience of what you need to do, all the rest falls into place.

Mindset and preparation,,get into your zen mode before flight,,see the plane in flight beforehand. You ever watch the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds and see there prep meeting before a show?. Once they get done talking about the show, they go thru there flight ritual, envisioning the moves and call outs buy the lead pilot,,all with there eyes closed and waving there hands as they envision the flight.

Ok, before you all start laughing and guffawing at PV Pilot because he has obviously fallen off the deep end year ago (yes, I Know), It really does help to envision the flight beforehand. Maybe not taking to the extreme as the demonstration teams do, but a more subtle version of the same thing. Talk your self(quietly) thru the flight, call out or envision your next move. Try not to allow the fast heartbeat excitement to override the grey mass on top.

Feel the Ring, Be the Ring....... lol!

Actually, I get what you are saying and it makes sense. I do visualize what I am trying to do beforehand. Unfortunately the connection from my brain to my elbow/wrist has an intermittent disconnect.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:03 pm

I don't have anything to add that might help except, if your lines are 30'ish, you definitely need 35' There is a big difference in ease of control. Add a couple of feet for your arm and the difference in circumference is about 33'. That's a 232' circle as opposed to a 201' circle.

Other than that, you just need practice. CL is just inherently unpredictable and requires reflexive muscle memory that can work the plane faster than your conscious brain can. Keep at it and you will improve quickly. After I take a Winter break, I always get amped up and excited and then run out to the field and crash a plane.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:42 pm

cribbs74 wrote: I also need to set up another handle at 35' I am at 30ish right now. I have to be careful as there is a large Elm that likes to eat little planes looming in the background.

Use a marker, such as a handkerchief, to mark the center of the circle so you won't wander.

Good luck,

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Ron:

Metaphorically, learning CL flying is like playing golf: practice, practice, practice and along the way you will improve! In the process you most certainly crash a few times as I did.

Once they're developed the reflexes will be never be forgotten. After a hiatus of over thirty years, save for the shaky knees, I came into the circle with confidence. Smile
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:52 pm

"Like riding a bicycle..."
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster