Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Cox_ba12

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 3:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Empty Re: EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE

Post  944_Jim Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:51 am

Levent Suberk wrote:Hope that Bob don't say anything about hijacking the Black Widow thread Very Happy

That happens here occasionally...weekly, maybe more than occasionally. Laughing

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Empty Thanks, weight?

Post  happydad Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:51 am

Levant Suberk: thanks. Was trying to sleep, but have a major migraine. Sad

p.s. was thinking of making it RC ??

p.s.p.s. Does anyone remember the AUW, all up flying weight?

Happydad. RC Plane Old Bugger United States

Last edited by happydad on Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added weight question.)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Empty Re: EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:26 am

Levent Suberk wrote:Hope that Bob don't say anything about hijacking the Black Widow thread Very Happy

Started way back in 2012 this thread has been stepped on so often it must feel like a door mat. I'm just one of many contributors. Smile

Migraines...........that's taking it way out. Smile Had my first one at 19. Maximum visual distortion, little to no headache. Put me in the hospital for 10 days. Rookie Navy doctors could figure it out, thought it was meningitis. Put me in the contagious ward. Finally sent me to an eye doctor who told me to go back and tell the Docs that I had a Migraine and to let me the heck out of there. Now I just lay down for 20 minutes and they are gone. Maybe one every 3-6 months caused mostly by eye strain. Working on tiny locomotive parts under a magnifying glass can really be a pain.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:29 am

Happydad, I printed the full size plan and vinyl decal sheet for various color schemes of coroplast PT 19. Here is the set is ready to mail you.  Very Happy Please send your postal address with pm, but mail delivery expected about one to two months to USA addresses.

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 20200810
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Empty Lodela Cox catalogue

Post  a betancourt Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:20 pm

Here is part of a Lodela Cox catalog from 1978 - 1979 EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Fb_img10
ue from the 70´s.
a betancourt
a betancourt
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  a betancourt Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:25 pm

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Fb_img20
EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Fb_img21
EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Fb_img22
a betancourt
a betancourt
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:43 pm

Is that French?...nicht verstehen
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:06 pm

OhBee wrote:Is that French?...nicht verstehen

No, it is Spanish. Lodela was a Mexican company with license to sell Cox brand products.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:40 pm

Aah....no 'se habla Espaniol !
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:12 am

OhBee wrote:Aah....no 'se habla Espaniol !

Should be, «No sé hablar en el español». drunken (I don't speak Spanish.) Beers

Just off hand, the translation to Spanish seems to follow closely what was said in the American English Cox brochures. Exception would be the Black Widow (Viuda Negra). It was using Jim Walker's fuselage (can't remember the model off hand, Fire Baby?) with their own unique wing shape. Lodela had rights to that. Was not imported to US or adopted for sale in US.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:07 am

Timeline for Revell/Lodela https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=194000&p=timeline This is pretty interesting , Wonder how they got the rights to the model from Cox ? Beers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:44 am

getback wrote:Timeline for Revell/Lodela  https://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=194000&p=timeline  This is pretty interesting , Wonder how they got the rights to the model from Cox ? Beers

I think it could have been a question of intellectual property rights (patents, licence rights and such). Cox may have developed the model, it looks like it could be manufactured easily and with minimal tooling cost. But another company (Jim Walker and Firebaby maybe?) may have had a US patent for some aspect of the design, making it not possible to market it in the USA. Or, it may have been a ”bought” design that came in an acquisition of another company but someone did not read the small print that may have said ”not to be marketed in the USA”. Certainly a ”DOH” moment and someone had some explaining to do at the next marketing meeting Shocked

To minimize the damage and to recoup some of the cost, the model became a part of the Mexican product portfolio, because the design probably was not patented there.

Just a guess, but that kind of stuff happens all the time in other industries.

Last edited by KariFS on Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:40 am

Better guess than i have LOL Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:58 am

Good to see you back ab, adds to the interesting history of the Cox brand.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  a betancourt Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:47 am

rsv1cox wrote:Good to see you back ab, adds to the interesting history of the Cox brand.

Thank you, have been busy with work and a couple of R/C projects.

My best wishes for 2021, hopefully this will be a more "Normal" year.

a betancourt
a betancourt
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:58 am

OhBee, rather I'd think for you it would be, «Lo puedo hablar un poquito en el español» (I can speak a tiny bit in Spanish). Smoking

a betancourt wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Good to see you back ab, adds to the interesting history of the Cox brand.

Thank you, have been busy with work and a couple of R/C projects. My best wishes for 2021, hopefully this will be a more "Normal" year.

Given the weirdness of the whole situation, I think it will be an Abby Normal year. Shocked Tired w/ Coffee Read Old Bugger Popcorn lol!

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  a betancourt Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:59 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
OhBee wrote:Aah....no 'se habla Espaniol !

Should be, «No sé hablar en el español». drunken (I don't speak Spanish.) Beers

Just off hand, the translation to Spanish seems to follow closely what was said in the American English Cox brochures. Exception would be the Black Widow (Viuda Negra). It was using Jim Walker's fuselage (can't remember the model off hand, Fire Baby?) with their own unique wing shape. Lodela had rights to that. Was not imported to US or adopted for sale in US.

Yes the Viuda Negra, Black Widow in english, used a Firebaby fuselage. As a kid I had the Lodela Cox Firebaby, it was one of the best flying Cox airplanes. Interesting the Firebaby was not marketed by Cox in the US but it was in Mexico.

Another interesting fact is that the Bell Helicopter that used a Pee Wee 020 was sold in Mexico with a 049, you can read this in the ad.

Regards,
a betancourt
a betancourt
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:29 am

The only Spanish I know I picked up watching westerns! So.....amazed I got THAT close trying to write it!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  a betancourt Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:50 pm

Here is an ad from Lodela Cox with the FireBaby, I had this plane when I was a kid and really liked it.EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Fire_b12
a betancourt
a betancourt
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:02 pm

Thanks a-b............saved it.  

This is still one of my favorite CEF threads.  Happydad was a prime contributor.  Levent's decals. WingingIt74 really started something.  

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 P1011127

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 P1011128

Going up a few responses, Lodela also had Eric's new Skycopter.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:07 pm

I wonder if Keith Morgan and Admin would allow that PT-19 plan to be parked in the "Instruction sheets" section. I don't know how many times I've referred modellers with beginner flying skills to this plan, even on CEF. Same with the Sterling PT-19 modelled in slab wing/profile fuselage here. I always wind up searching for both when someone says "I wish I still had/I wish I could get" a PT-19 to learn with. Or at least have links to them in the same section.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE - Page 4 Empty Fire Bee?!

Post  Boats13 Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:12 pm

I know resurrection of an old thread, but! Bob, @rsvcox1 (sp?) Since you have preserved several... although NOT a COX engine... Wow! What a cool find! and a vacuum controlled throttle? Hovering?! Vertical takeoff and landing? More skill than I've ever had! This link is for you!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285739412557?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=k9T5SJEFQe-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=IyNssaQSRWi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

C.T.
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 6:58 pm

Boats13 wrote:I know resurrection of an old thread,  but! Bob, @rsvcox1 (sp?) Since you have preserved several... although NOT a COX engine... Wow! What a cool find! and a vacuum controlled throttle? Hovering?! Vertical takeoff and landing? More skill than I've ever had! This link is for you!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285739412557?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=k9T5SJEFQe-&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=IyNssaQSRWi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

C.T.

Ah CT...............I missed your response. Thanks to Robert I found it again. One of my favorite threads. One day, maybe.......for sure........I will run that engine. Definate maybe.........for sure...........
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4