Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor Cox_ba12

Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 10:41 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor Empty
Live on Patrol

Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor

Go down

Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor Empty Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:07 am

In a threatening situation, I'd rather have one than not.

Yesterday's school shootings in CT will once again engrage those who would ban firearms,

But are firearms but a symptom of a much deeper and complex issue?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor Empty Re: Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor

Post  duke.johnson Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:28 am

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Our thoughts and prayers go out to these families.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor Empty Re: Guns and fire extinguishers: original metaphor

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:00 am

Duke:

Without doubt.

The bigger issue is what are we going to do about "those" people?

We are now beyond the point of simplcities and into the problems a very disturbed society. Praying to God may offer solice but I believe that HE holds us responsible for our actions. It is Sripture that God never gives us a problem HE thinks we can't handle.

So where do we go from here?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:28 am

Good question. We as a people have had people killing each other from the time of Cain and Abel. I don't know if there is a way to stop it. Crazy people do crazy things.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:02 pm

duke.johnson wrote:Good question. We as a people have had people killing each other from the time of Cain and Abel. I don't know if there is a way to stop it. Crazy people do crazy things.

Duke:

It has been hypthesized that the greastest danger to democracy is an excess of democracy". People, given their own heads will turn to the excesses.

Paradoxical, no?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:00 pm

One of my favourite Punch cartoons was during the anti
Nuclear demo periods here in the late 70's.
It was 2 cavemen brandishing clubs at each and their wives are talking
Across the garden fence. One says to the other "of course neither
Will ever use it....."

Although I love guns I do like living somewhere where this doesn't
Happen simply cos most people can't get hold of them.
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:49 pm

The problem with that as I see it is, only the honest one don't have the guns. Then the ones with guns can do as they please. We just have to look at the history of other nations to see how that works out. We can even look a little closer home to. Just in the last few years there has been states that loosened up gun control with only a couple cities in the state that held to the strict gun control. These strict cities changed and loosened up after seeing crime and murder go up in there cities and down around them. Take away guns and the honest ones are the only ones without them.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:08 pm

I am an advocate for concealed carry. Criminals will always have guns wether law abiding citizens do or not.

The problem is can you trust a teacher to safely carry a gun in a classroom. And would Joe citizen be comfortable sending their child to school knowing the teachers are packing. It's a sad state of affairs really that this is even a topic of discussion. This should not be happening whatsoever. What changed? These incidents were unheard of 20-30 yrs ago.

I was absolutely ill yesterday thinking about all those families impacted. My children are home schooled and although I am on the fence about that, yesterday I was thankful they were.

Dave, it's true God will not give us more than we can handle, but in this case that applies to the families of the children. The world however, will always be in turmoil until God has enough and sends his son back.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:38 pm

cribbs74 wrote:

Dave, it's true God will not give us more than we can handle, but in this case that applies to the families of the children. The world however, will always be in turmoil until God has enough and sends his son back.

Ron

That or he pushes the reset button and slings a 10 mile wide asteroid our way.......

20 - 30 years ago there weren't video games like call of duty. We had break out and pac man. There has to be something with that.

Jason
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:45 pm

What happened yesterday was not "evil", it was the consequence of a society that does to little for the mentally ill and makes it to easy to obtain guns. If he had gone in there with baseball bat or a knife or both there would not be 28 dead people today. Guns don't kill people they just make it incredibly easy and horrifically efficient. I work with a convicted felon who served time in federal prison for armed robbery. Walked into a store pulled out a gun and threatened to kill people. He now owns more guns than anyone I know. I asked where he gets them and he laughed and said he buys them at gun shows. Thank you National Rifle Association for protecting this mans rights and creating a threat to the community at large. Are guns the problem? No not entirely, not by a long shot, but anyone who can't see that the preponderance of guns in our society threatens the safety of us all needs to wake up.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Pleased there a so many thoughtful and cogent responses.

We've been away from home all day with our children and grand children where we discussed the CT tradegy. I first asked if they like to talk about it and their reponses were all positive. Rather than preach to them I acted more as a moderator to keep the discussion going.

Helping the young process recent events is an elder's highest calling and an imparative to the acceptance of unspeakable tradgedy. During our discussion, tears, including mine flowed but in the end family love and harmony triumphed over fear, grief and shock. It was the proudest moment of my life.

Asking "why" is of little value as rational people can never understand irrational minds. Thought is better directed toward the crisis in America which has so traumatized so many. Guns are the symptom rather than the cause.
----------------------------------------------------

With that I'll close for now. It's late (for me) and I've had an eventful day. sleep

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:30 pm

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed
people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.
CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.
You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."
Morgan Freeman
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:43 am

I'd rather face and endure these events rather deny them.

Much is to be gained by face-to-face converstions with others.

Only in a "commnity" of thought will answers be found.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:06 pm

Vodka Krispies for breakfast again David?
lol!
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:09 pm

No JB, "cold turkey" with side of facts. Smile
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 pm

Shame about the 6000 miles D, my Dad sent me a bottle
Of the Macallan last week that I'd be happy to share and
I know you'd appreciate.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down