Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January Cox_ba12

Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:59 pm

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:19 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 5:19 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January Empty
Live on Patrol

Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January

Go down

Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January Empty Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Mid 60s and not a cloud in the sky, with a gusty 10MPH breeze. I stayed out at the field for about 3-1/2 hours. I flew the Baby Streak-II and the Li'l Satan, and left the neglected Streak-I in the car. I feel like I'm disappointing it lately, taking it to the field and not flying it. Crying or Very sad But anyway, I'd fly some and take a break to walk up to the RC field and yak with those guys. I offered, but none of them wanted to try the handle. I did get a compliment that CL is ten times harder than RC. I don't know about that, but I'll take it. I said, yeah it's a full body experience, and quick 1/2A is an exercise in controlled panic. They had a YAK and a Piper Cub, an F16 and a nice self-designed tri-copter that he flew with video glasses.

My intention today was to experiment with different props. I took a fistful out there and started with an APC 6x2. The Big Mig liked it and spun up pretty fast. I launched it and did a few laps to make sure my latest trim job was adequate... it was; stable but leaning toward twitchy, which is what I was aiming for. I've been receiving tutoring lately from Ken. The plane needs a few grams up front and I reduced it to about 3 grams and slid it farther forward than it was last week. The plane was nice and agile and the poor inverted performance I mentioned last week was now corrected. I also cured the odd flutter I had last week, when it felt like I was flying a fish that would wag its tail when the wind blew. It was just the overly relaxed Ultracote. I took an iron to it and tightened it and I think that helped a couple of problems I'd had on the maiden last Saturday. It might have been the inverted instability problem too.

So, she's trimmed out very nicely now. All I have left to fix is the uneven elevator throws. I have a new favorite flyer. I didn't do as much as planned with the propellers. The APC 6x2, though it let the engine rev up, flew the plane too slowly, especially for a stiff gusty breeze. But it did allow me to make my wingovers a lot prettier. I decided to go back to my 6x3 MA to get a fresh a baseline for comparison, since I had re-trimmed the plane since the maiden. But I was so happy with the performance on that flight, I just decided to leave it on and have some fun flying. Sorry, Ken, I can't report on the results of the other APCs. I'll get around to it, maybe next week.

I am getting more used to needling the Norvel and I think I can now consistently identify its sweet spot before I launch. Sometimes you really have to milk those Norvels with the hemostats to get the engine running. That's something I haven't had to do with the Tee Dees. And I think I was blaming the 6x3 for my inept needling in the past, even going back to the Refried Bean flights. This is the engine that used to have the loose venturi. I had tried silicone tube as a gasket, and Permatex too(bad bad idea), but nothing was dependable for long. A few weeks ago I tried a piece of latex bladder tube to seal it and it worked perfectly. I figured it would rot in the fuel, and I meant to replace it, but just slam forgot. And it still worked great, no leaks at all. I never imagined it would last, but it did. I will put a fresh one on before next week.

I've been practicing wingovers, overhead loops and 8s It was too windy for my own comfort for the overhead stunts, but I did a bunch of wingovers with both planes. The Li'l Satan is really easier even though it's a bit faster. I have trouble with my pullouts and sometimes climb instead of leveling off. The streak with all that wing really floats if i slightly over control it. Some of that maybe my too-short elevator horn, so that needs attention this week. I pulled a few out low and flat, while others shot back up high. It's hard to watch the wingovers on video, but hopefully you can pick out the good ones. I'll get it. I know I'm a stupefyingly slow study, but I intend to add new stunts fairly regularly, so as not to bore either myself or my movie viewers.

So, I'm happy to report, I had a great time today. Depending on the honey-do list, I will be back out next week. Or as soon as possible. It was great to be home alone for a whole weekend. I had plenty of shop time, ran my MP Jet, balanced props, made bladders and took as long as I damn well wanted. Laughing

Ain't life great!
Rusty

FULLSCREEN IS ENABLED

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January Empty Re: Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January

Post  duke.johnson Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:01 pm

Nice job Rusty. My son asked about the line length. Are you running a TD on 42" lines?
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January Empty Re: Video - Flying on a warm Winter day in January

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:11 pm

40' plus my arm makes 42'. I'm using Spiderwire 30# test. I need to get some 15# next time. I got the 30 because it's less likely to tangle and kink. My older Streak has a Tee Dee .051, but this one has a Norvel Big Mig .061.

Same line for both, and for my Li'l Satan too.

If you haven't seen my other Streak with the Tee Dee, here is a bunch of videos of it on my Tube channel if you want to see:
https://www.youtube.com/user/rastus10?feature=mhee

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Great video Rusty. Popcorn
Thanks.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Mid 60's! We won't see these temps until April. Sad

I was running my tach race engines today in an unheated garage and it was 10 F inside. Cold
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Rusty,

Your getting pret-ty good! You need to start flying the pattern or at least the beginner pattern! I think you could go to a PAMPA contest (with landing gear added) and fly beginner class and walk away with hardware!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mark. I'm probably overly critical of myself. But I've learned a lot lately since I've gotten better at understanding how to build planes that fly like they're supposed to. The Baby Streak is the best thing that has happened to me in my flying career, it's making me a better pilot. One of these days I'm going to try a 35 or 40 size plane. I was invited to fly a 40 Shoestring recently but the owner demolished it before it was my turn. Rolling Eyes

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:18 am

Looking good out there Rusty, I think all that open sky is just what you needed. I really think you should enter into a competition as well. I bet you could knock out the pattern pretty easily. Where is the closest CL club?

As soon as I can complete the beginner pattern I am going to head to an event. Probably Old Time Stunt, that is if they have a beginner class.

Too bad you didn't get to fly that Shoestring as they fly wonderfully, even by today's standards. Of course the one I saw fly was being controlled by Joe Gilbert.

Thanks for the video Rusty, good times!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:20 am

Lookin good Rusty.

Mid sixties though, what kinda winter's that?

He said, green with envy
Snowman
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:16 am

Hey rusty nice vid with some good flying just checked out your tube channell some cool vids on there too love nippers first flight didn't he do well
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:41 am

Dizzyman2011 wrote:...love nippers first flight didn't he do well
Thanks Diz. Not sure I follow that above statement, are you talking about Matthew flying the Li'l Satan, launching straight into a wingover? He did do well with that. Not bad for a first try.

John, don't worry, it gets cold here too, but we do have some unusual days in the middle of Winter. Saturday was pretty good too. It'll probably snow next week.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum