Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Cox_ba12

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:07 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 4:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2

Go down

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Empty Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2

Post  ZACATTACK Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Rights10 I have been told that the RED Eliminator 2 Cox .049 Dragster was only made for the first 9 months of the Cars introduction and then production shifted to the BLUE (stars and stripes model). Does anyone have information on the production of the Eliminator 2 Dragster and why the colour change....I believe production was 1969-1975. I just got Really Lucky and found a Red one in mint condition, the chrome stripping is coming off but it's minto!! Any history help on this car or links is greatly appreciated! I have more Pics if anyone wants.
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Empty Re: Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2

Post  ZACATTACK Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:57 pm

Nobody has history on these Dragsters produced by Cox??
Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Cox_10

Last edited by ZACATTACK on Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Empty Re: Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:13 pm

It's pretty cool looking, what does the sticker say on the deck?

Is it an Eliminator? Or does it just share the same body. Have you done a search for a Cox car collectors site?

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACATTACK Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:04 pm

This is an Eliminator 2 #6100 Ron....there was never a dragster named Eliminator..the red was made for the first 9 months of the cars introduction in 1969, then this car came in blue with white stars & red decals, the decal you ask about, infront of the windshield, was there at purchase in 1969, my friend who sold me this, has one NIB...$1200 Affraid or WOW! . Yup this 44 years old...The decal says Before Starting (center), at the top ( Read Instructions), at the bottom( Worlds Finest Presion Engine)...Ron, if you look at Pics of the Re Chromed Baja Bug you and I purchased today..Look at the picture of the bottom of the car on E-Bay...Zoom it and you will see this exact decal only faded!!! Cheers! Cannot find much info on this car or any Cox .049 Cars !!!!
Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Ebay_012
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Here's on i sold on ebay a couple years ago, it still brought a couple hun...minus my rat fink

yep, it weird not a lot of info out there on plastic gas toys, planes or cars, to me i'd like to know as much about them as possible, but many collectors just don't seem to care, only the value.

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 00311
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACATTACK Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:52 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Here's on i sold on ebay a couple years ago, it still brought a couple hun...minus my rat fink

yep, it weird not a lot of info out there on plastic gas toys, planes or cars, to me i'd like to know as much about them as possible, but many collectors just don't seem to care, only the value.

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 00311

Do you have ant history on these cars Mark. I purchased this from a collector who said they made the Red one for 9 months and swithched over to the blue...the Red dragster is very hard to find and history on the production is very hard to find aswell!!
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:02 pm

no, sorry, i was into plastic 'RTF' gas planes pretty heavy, still into it, but not so much now, more into collecting info, history, etc. Never really collected cars. About ten years ago i tried finding a web site for plastic plane collectors and ended up starting a yahoo group.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:47 am

How much for the Rat fink?
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:09 am

nfs. i've had that since childhood...er, i mean since i was young, lol
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:27 am

Last edited by Mudhen on Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:18 am

The only info I can find on Cox cars is in Martin Hepperles site in model database and model years.
i can't find the red dragster. Very hard to find unfueled, I saw a red one NIB go for 6 or 7 hundred not long ago.
The white on mine is yellowed even though it was never run.
Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Img_1714
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACATTACK Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 am

You can dis-assemble that bottom and bleach clean it white . That looks like the Eliminator 2 that sold on E-Bay not long ago( Nice). Why is it finding history on Cox Cars much harder then the Cox Engines? This car first was produced in 1969, according to a collector, the first 9 months of production was red in color then switching over to the blue/red/white stars & stripes theme and stayed with that theme until production ceased in 1975. Why the switch over?? Trying to find that out is like pulling teeth. Was the red color only produced for nine months? again, no answers. Cox was sold to Leisure Dynamics INc in 1969 after the death of Leroy Cox wife. Anyway...The car had a model number of #6100, later on in the years, after production ceased in 1975, the exact model number was adopted by the Cox FA-18 plane in 1983!!! Another strange fact is the car was sold in two different type boxes with different labels. One was labelled AA Fueler, this was a blue on light blue box. The other box was labelled Eliminator 2, yellow with red cars and a yellow in-lay. . Pics below

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Lg-10110
Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 02610

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 02811
Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 02711
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MeerschaumSteve Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 pm

Age yellowed plastic can be repaired. DO NOT ever use bleach! The bleach does reduce the yellowing, but damages the molecular structure of the plastic in the process.

A chemist discovered exactly what causes the yellowing, and how to reverse it. It has to do with the fire retardant bromine that's mixed in with the plastic.

The yellowing can be properly reversed, leaving the plastic in like new condition. Using ultra violet light, oxy-clean, and hydrogen peroxide. I have already tested it on an old macintosh I have, and the result was astonishing.

Here is a brilliant write-up on the subject:
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/
MeerschaumSteve
MeerschaumSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm

Thanks for the link, the gear on my Scholl Pits has yellowed badly while the white on the Stinker is still bright.
I tried many cleaners and polishes with no improvement, I'm going to try the formula on the gear and see what happens.

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Img_0610
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ZACATTACK Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Basically different plastics have different chemical makeups. That's why some plastics yellow and others dont, also exposing our toys to cigarette smoke, cooking grease in the air, ultraviolet sun rays, natural age etc also doesn't help in preserving antique plastic and yellows them quicker, I opened up a thread on the preservation and storage of our Cox toys but did'nt get much feedback and ideas from the thread, basically putting these toys in a closed display case away from sun seem to be a good thing...Let me know how this formula works on your yellowed plastic restoration, looks promising!! Sad thing is nothing lasts forever..most plastics are pretty durable but fading and yellowing is pretty common in our hobby. Please post some pics after your done...Before and After would be great. Good Luck@
ZACATTACK
ZACATTACK
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MeerschaumSteve Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:30 pm

There are two types of yellowing in plastic, one is from smoke, dirt, etc, that can be cleaned off.

The other is the chemical yellowing that comes from exposing the plastic to ultra violet light, it causes the bromine to discolor the plastic. Its interesting that the cure is also ultra violet light while in the peroxide/oxy bath. If you read the science part of that website, it shows that the actual plastic never turns yellow. Its still white. Its just coated with bromine on the surface of its molecules. The site also explains why you never use bleach to remove yellowing.

If you want your plastic to last as long as possible, keep them clean, and away from any fluorescent lights.

The yellowing removal using peroxide/oxy does not stop yellowing, it only reverses it. After the treatment, the plastic will yellow again in the future over time. It will yellow fastest if its hit by sunlight, or fluorescent lights in the house.
MeerschaumSteve
MeerschaumSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Empty Re: Rare Red Cox Dragster

Post  66 Malibu Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:04 pm

ZACATTACK wrote:Nobody has history on these Dragsters produced by Cox??
Rare Red Cox Dragster .049 Eliminator 2 Cox_10

I believe I read once that the Cox Red Dragster was inspired by the "Mangler" AA/FD owned by John Garrison and driven by Danny Ongais. I saw the Mangler turn 209 MPH in 1965 when the rest of the field was struggling to run 200MPH. It was one Bad A## AA/FD.
The stars and stripes theme was probably an amalgamation from several cars including Val LaPorte's "All American" AA/FD.
Only the Cox marketing Dept would know for sure though....FWIW Steve
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down