Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Cox_ba12

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:26 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by robot797 Today at 12:12 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Empty
Live on Patrol

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Empty Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner

Post  fredvon4 Sun May 26, 2013 2:38 pm

I am looking to buy a small ultrasonic cleaner and would like your opinions and recommendations.... the biggest thing in my model shop that might see time in one, is a .90 sized SuperTiger glow engine 5" long X 5.5" tall x 2.9" fat

Would like a decent unit under $100.00
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Empty Re: Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner

Post  bullit132 Sun May 26, 2013 3:38 pm

29.00 dollars at harbor frieght,4.00 dollars for cleaning powder Small Cox Logo
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Empty Re: Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner

Post  bullit132 Sun May 26, 2013 3:39 pm

54.00 dollars for the real big one
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun May 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Yea I buy a LOT from harbor freight but probably not this item. Been a while since I looked, but the reviews on the HF cleaner were not very good a while back

I do have a great history with HF warranty/return on the few items that came damaged or missing parts

but out here in the sticks returning stuff cost much more than postage

Edited in...thanks for the response

Last edited by fredvon4 on Sun May 26, 2013 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add a thank you)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Empty ISO recommendation on Ultrasonic cleaners. 2018

Post  Marleysky Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:08 pm

I did not want to  to hijack Bobs thread, so I return to ultra sonic cleaners thread from 2013. I’m curious, just what type of cleaner you ended up being happy with?

fredvon4 wrote:Stop dinking with the aggravating micro engineering and get back to the annual gun clean task Bob

grin

my spring cleaning included a Ruger that was DIRTY!!!

BTW Bob did you ever invest in a ultra sonic cleaner.... I love my 1 liter with heater version

I have a “Gem-pro” that has a small tub that’ll fit 2 B.B. in pieces. I’m not to impressed with the cleaning so far. I’ve used just plain water, and then Dawn dish soap and water. Don’t know if I should try more aggressive solvents, or soaking in crockpot of antifreeze then use Ultra#sonic to clean and rinse?  What have you learned since 2013?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Way back when...after the sticker shock of Name brand so called professional Ultra sonic cleaners wore off I started looking into the specs of the many $300~$700 1 liter and half gallon devices

Most had a 40Khz transducer, stainless basket and stainless tub...some with and some without heat

E-bay had a (I think Ali-Babba) outlet in china and I took a dare on a 1 Liter with heat version for $ 129 or there about

I did not like how it tarnish an Enya 35 using alcohol.......grrrr....cleaned it good though

Once I got all my old used engines cleaned up I very rarely use it any more

Best solution for me was simple green and water ....I probably used too much Dawn once as it foamed like a bad washing machine commercial....grin------------------or a jug of concentrate I got from a local Jeweler to do wife's fine finger art is good stuff.... sorry he just gave me a couple of shots and no label so I do not know any brand name

It is a noisy bugger, and has a timer on it
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:38 pm

At work the nice heated ver. w/heat control we us 1 part simple green full strength to 3 parts water heat at 125F for 12-15 mins. for 2 cyl. carbs. walbro, Zama china knoc-off Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 am

Marleysky, this one was purchased here in Finland from a store for maybe 150€ but since most tools are cheaper in the USA I suppose you will find one for less. It is the ”generic” Chinese unit, it comes in several sizes, brands and prices, but most of them look the same.

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Image40

This is a three-litre one  with 100W ultrasonic power and a 100W heat element. It heats up to 80deg C. it is a lot noisier than my old one (a 35€ small unit with no heat) but also a lot more effective. I asked this one from Santa because I needed one for motorcycle parts, carburetors and such, but it works very well with model engines too. There is plenty of room in the tank as you can see:

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner 49f49310

I use denaturated ethanol for cleaning my engines. It is sold around here as camping stove fuel for about 5€ for a one litre bottle (little over 2qt). To save the fluid and to keep the cleaner cleaner (heh) I fill a glass jar (baby food or peanut butter jar or such) with the ethanol, put the engine in the jar, fill the cleaner tank with hot water and fire it up.

Delrin parts, propellers and rubber spinners generally don’t like the hot ethanol so I just add some hand dishwashing detergent to the water and dump all the plastic parts there.

Ethanol is a good and safe fluid as it will absolutely not discolour any metals. The denatured stuff does sometimes leave some white residue to some parts but if you wipe them dry after you take them out of the bath they are fine. There is also an urban legend of the ethanol giving a protective surface on aluminum after polish, helping the surface to stay shiny longer. I think the ethanol just removes grease and polishing compound residues making the shine more uniform. But after I have washed and polished the parts, they all will take another bath in clean hot ethanol.

Edit: Hey Fred, how did alcohol tarnish your Enya? What kind of problem did you have?

Here are a couple of old Enyas and a Cub, all cleaned using the process described above (not polished though). I could not see any tarnishing, maybe yours was cast using a different material?

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Image44
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 am

I was looking for some denatured alcohol/ethanol this morning but the store was sold out, but they had acetone at about half the price. I didn't buy it because of some related safety issues. But I was wondering how it would work cleaning engines in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:10 am

I keep mineral spirits, Acetone, Lacquer thinner, and MEK on hand...they all can be pretty volatile ----and I think ...since the ultra sonic is in the shop, I vetoed them just for fumes reasons

The Enya case aluminum turned a dark colour from (I think) too long in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol

Hot simple green smells good and does a good job.....harsher Burnt Castor parts get crock pot anti freeze boil first
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Tue May 07, 2019 12:11 am

fredvon4 wrote:I am looking to buy a small ultrasonic cleaner and would like your opinions and recommendations.... the biggest thing in my model shop that might see time in one, is a .90 sized SuperTiger glow engine 5" long X 5.5" tall x 2.9" fat

fredvon4, Do you really NEED an ultrasonic cleaner? Or do you simply need an effective and simple yet fast way to get your engines/parts clean? Because I can let you in on a secret and it won't cost you anywhere near a hundred bucks. No I am not messing with you.
I mean like this clean
Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Messag13
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Tue May 07, 2019 12:15 am

deleted because of duplicate
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue May 07, 2019 12:45 am

Scotty68 wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:I am looking to buy a small ultrasonic cleaner and would like your opinions and recommendations.... the biggest thing in my model shop that might see time in one, is a .90 sized SuperTiger glow engine 5" long X 5.5" tall x 2.9" fat

fredvon4,  Do you really NEED an ultrasonic cleaner? Or do you simply need an effective and simple yet fast way to get your engines/parts clean? Because I can let you in on a secret and it won't cost you anywhere near a hundred bucks. No I am not messing with you.  
I mean like this clean
Ok, give us a clue!! Huh...
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 am

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Empty VARGO and the Underverse

Post  fredvon4 Tue May 07, 2019 8:58 am

Please
When you necro thread
Read from OP to the bottom

this way your post may be relevant

And BTW.....too many necro threads make me think a long lost member is resurrected
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue May 07, 2019 10:22 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
Scotty68 wrote:

fredvon4,  Do you really NEED an ultrasonic cleaner? Or do you simply need an effective and simple yet fast way to get your engines/parts clean? Because I can let you in on a secret and it won't cost you anywhere near a hundred bucks. No I am not messing with you.  
I mean like this clean
Ok, give us a clue!! Huh...

OK! Scotty68 I’m with Rod....what’s the secret method?? Fishing
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Tue May 07, 2019 12:47 pm

This one?

Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue May 07, 2019 3:30 pm

Levent Suberk wrote:This one?

Ha-ha! That “Red-neck” sonic cleaner is not quite the answer. I’m sure it would work with blasting beads or kitty liter as a abrasive cleaner without spilling water all over the bench and floor.  The video that followed had a nice build ityourself Sonic cleaner. I still have not had a sonic cleaner soften or remove hardened castor off a engine with out using a chemical bath of some sort or additional heat.
I would like to try the secret method Scotty68 has recommended, but the user response to the product was not very complimentary. This was the first customer review, surprisingly:  

“ I could have gotten the same results using simple green. I soaked my lawn mower carburetor and valve parts for 24 hrs. and it didn't even get the loose dirt off! This isn't even close to the old stuff I used to use 15 years ago. I even taped a vibrating sander to the can to agitate things, and the carbon wasn't even soft enough to brush away with a tooth brush. The brass parts are still dull looking, not bright gold as tho old fashioned cleaner used leave them. It doesn't strip the paint either as the old stuff used to. I wish I could leave negative 5 stars this stuff is so bad.”

So, somebody didn’t like it, others said positive things , but not glowing reviews.
I’d like to see a few more before and after pictures of our type of engines before dropping $30 on heretofor untried method. And I don’t think Rod could find this in his country...under this brand name anyway!  

https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Products-0996-Arm-Chemical-Fluid-Ounces/dp/B077Y1YSZ5/ref=dp_ob_title_auto

OOPS! Cat’s out of the bag....and we ALL know how we feel about cats! Soft kitty warm kitty.....
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Tue May 07, 2019 9:43 pm

Levent Suberk, Fair enough, luckily I am a photo nut. You want more before and after pics? You gottem. When I'm done with supper I'll go downstairs I know I have tons on my computer I'll post them yet tonight. If I don't get sidetracked. LOL but when all said and done if you don't want to take my word for it don't take my word for it. No skin off my nose. I would just as soon my engines look better than everybody else's anyway (not saying that's the case) I was hesitant to give up my secret.
Scotty68
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Wed May 08, 2019 12:10 am

Marleysky wrote:
Levent Suberk wrote:This one?

Ha-ha! That “Red-neck” sonic cleaner is not quite the answer. I’m sure it would work with blasting beads or kitty liter as a abrasive cleaner without spilling water all over the bench and floor.  The video that followed had a nice build ityourself Sonic cleaner. I still have not had a sonic cleaner soften or remove hardened castor off a engine with out using a chemical bath of some sort or additional heat.
I would like to try the secret method Scotty68 has recommended, but the user response to the product was not very complimentary. This was the first customer review, surprisingly:  

“ I could have gotten the same results using simple green. I soaked my lawn mower carburetor and valve parts for 24 hrs. and it didn't even get the loose dirt off! This isn't even close to the old stuff I used to use 15 years ago. I even taped a vibrating sander to the can to agitate things, and the carbon wasn't even soft enough to brush away with a tooth brush. The brass parts are still dull looking, not bright gold as tho old fashioned cleaner used leave them. It doesn't strip the paint either as the old stuff used to. I wish I could leave negative 5 stars this stuff is so bad.”

So, somebody didn’t like it, others said positive things , but not glowing reviews.
I’d like to see a few more before and after pictures of our type of engines before dropping $30 on heretofor untried method. And I don’t think Rod could find this in his country...under this brand name anyway!  

https://www.amazon.com/Berryman-Products-0996-Arm-Chemical-Fluid-Ounces/dp/B077Y1YSZ5/ref=dp_ob_title_auto

OOPS! Cat’s out of the bag....and we ALL know how we feel about cats! Soft kitty warm kitty.....

Here are a few examples of various severity. Keep in mind, this method uses NO added heat, oscillation or elbow grease whatsoever. Just dip, wait, rinse, lube and done! Whole process from start to finish...1 - 1 1/2 hours, and 45 minutes worth of that is just waiting during soaking period.
Scotty68
There will be more pictures to come, I am just having trouble finding them on my computer.
This first one is obviously the before picture.
Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner 20180911
And this is the after picture of the exact same engine less than an hour later.
Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner 20180910

Last edited by Scotty68 on Wed May 08, 2019 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot to label the pictures)
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Wed May 08, 2019 12:51 am

This is another before picture.
Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Before10
This is the same engine after a short soak in the Berrymans.
Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner After10
This is a listing of engines that I did last fall on RCGroups. They have ALL been cleaned using only Berrymans and Formula 409. They had varying degrees of gunk on them. Sorry I don't have a before picture of the engines but common sense should tell you that putting together a group of engines of various ages and degrees of usage without a cleaning of some sort could not possible result in a group that looks as good as these engines do.
Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner Group_11
I really thought that I would have better luck locating photographic evidence of my claims but I simply couldn't locate any before pictures. I am not quite sure why I care, I only chimed in originally as a joke but oh well. Sad Take it or leave it, makes me no difference really. Good luck with what ever you end up using.
Scotty68
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed May 08, 2019 2:41 am

Scotty, looks like the chemical dip really does the job! I have a question or a couple (I often do Smile ), how do you make sure you get all the solvent out of the engine and make sure there is oil everywhere? Just rotate the engine and squirt oil everywhere or something else?

Are these chemicals safe for anodizing and blued steel? How about painted surfaces?

Honest questions, not critisizing or anything.

I usually just take my Cox engines apart for cleaning and polishing, as that is what I am used to do with them, but I have some other old engines that I want to get clean without the risk of stripping the heads of screws that are hard to replace.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Wed May 08, 2019 6:48 am

KariFS, As for getting all of the solvent out of the engines, just do the best you can. Then spray off the loosened gunk using 409 then rinse. Honestly, I just continually rotate the engine physically while turning over the crank and running under warm water. I know it sounds nuts but as long as you get it thoroughly dried and then lubed you won't have any problems.
As for lube, I use an old school mixture that is half and half klotz lubricating oil and automatic transmission fluid. I squirt a healthy bit straight into the carburetor and more straight into the exhaust port and give the engine multiple multiple flips both directions on the crank and you're good to go. Again I've never had a single issue and I've done this with hundreds of engines.
If you do happen to have an engine that seems to be particularly difficult to get dried out you can always use a moisture displacer like WD-40 before you re-Lube the engine.
As for anodizing I do not have an answer for you. But when it comes to paint I cannot recommend this procedure. I made the mistake a couple of times placing a Saito golden Knight 4-stroke engine into the berryman's and it bubbled and loosened the black coating so badly that I ended up brushing off what I could and redipping until I got all of the black coating off. It eventually became a regular aluminum colored Saito engine there was simply no way to save the coloring. But the gold valve covers weren't damaged in anyway. And that actually might answer your anodizing question.
As long as I've been using this process, and considering that I've only ever had the one issue, I can't imagine it's not at least worth a shot for anyone on this forum. It's certainly has to be better than an old crock pot and some antifreeze. Not to mention this entire process takes less than an hour and RARELY involves any scrubbing whatsoever. It is simply amazing, and I don't care what some bitter old fart has to say about it in a product review somewhere. I have been using this method for years and that is a mere fraction of the time that the individual who recommended this method to me has been using it. And I am pretty sure that he used to have coffee with Moses or Noah or ... hell who cares about the specifics the point is he's OLD! Lol!
So, give it a try, or don't, whatever. Just don't make the mistake of passing it up because you don't think it SOUNDS legit. That would be a huge mistake.
Good luck!
Scotty68
ps. I almost forgot, this is a small engine forum. So don't hesitate to drop half a dozen or even more of these little Cox engines into that basket and submerge them all at the same time. It won't hurt them a bit to sit in the solution while you're rinsing and lubing one at a time.
Now, let the criticism commence!
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed May 08, 2019 10:38 am

well i personally don't have nothing Harsh to say , its whatever works for the individual as far as i am concerned . Cinco de Mayo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Scotty68 Wed May 08, 2019 10:53 am

getback wrote:well i personally don't have nothing Harsh to say , its whatever works for the individual as far as i am concerned . Cinco de Mayo

Agreed!
Scotty68
Scotty68
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum