Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics) - Page 6 Cox_ba12

Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics) - Page 6 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Yesterday at 6:07 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics) - Page 6 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics)

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics) - Page 6 Empty Re: Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics)

Post  GUS THE I.A. Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 pm

This was great fun!

The engine I flew in the contest always drew alot of attention. I made only four flights with no one else in attendance. The point of the contest was to give exposure to the Cox brand. That meant to me, getting it out in front of the people, and showing what it can do.

I'm looking forward to receiving the engine! Ron, if you still have my address, you may forward it to Matt, for shipping it to me.

Thanks to Matt at EX Model Engines, for making prizes worth competing for! This will be a fun engine, too!

Thanks to everyone who competed, too!

Sincerely,
GUS THE I.A.
Doug.
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics) - Page 6 Empty Re: Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics)

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Doug,

Glad you had fun! You put some serious time on your TD. I am going to place an order with Matt and have the engines shipped to me in the order. Once received it will ship to you.

Since one of the engines is going to England I felt Matt shouldn't have to foot the bill for that.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:46 pm

I really thought I stood a chance last year, but then my hobby took a big detour. The year long tine frame was okay with me, I never forgot about it, but I let too many novices tear my planes up. I'm going to build a new Stuntman23 for them and fix my Streaks for the next go-round. I'll have a streak and A Satan that no one but me flies, I was logging times every month until the equipment faltered. I was giving it a try, knowing I'd never beat the RTP plane. I'm glad Ian got to do that. It was fun and interesting, but now that he's getting interested in the real thing, maybe we can eliminate RTP from the C/L bracket.
Just thinking back about it.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:51 pm

I second eliminating RTP if we do it again. And let's do it again! I have another Skyray kit in the box, and a baby ringmaster that needs a new "reedie" fuselage. Start in July?

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:25 am

July is good for me. I can fix my Streak and use the new Cox International Tee Dee cylinder and Piston to rejuvenate my .051... 'cept it'll be an .049, but no matter if it flies. Theresa says they hand fit all of their Tee Dee P/C sets.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:59 am

Congrats to the winners!!!!!!! I very happy for you bother.

Ian, it's great that you were able to get the RTP working so well. I tried it, and still have the pole in the back yard and the plane on the bench. I didn't have the time to work through the bugs.

Gus, I'm glad you were able to get your plane in front of so many people. I've joined an RC club since the last contest and would like to build an RC plane if we do it again.

Again, great job guys. Hope we all get a run at the current record holders. At least for bragging rights.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:51 am

Well...

I would consider doing another round, but it would only run from July through Sept. I don't want to cross contests (reed speed) this time. That way we can have max participation for both. I will omit RTP as an option. The only reason I allowed it was to not deny anyone from flying.

If you think about it RTP has no real advantage over another discipline. Time aloft is time aloft. Ian still had to control that plane for 5+ hrs of time. It was less physically demanding than conventional CL, but if you followed his reports it was no picnic either. I think removing it would even up the playing field and leave nothing to doubt.

Also, it would only be for bragging rights as I don't want to burn bridges with Matt and Bernie.

Lastly, whomever signs up needs to make every effort to fly and post times.

I'll set up a new thread and see if there is enough interest for another round.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Thank you for your comments chaps.

I entered this competition to join in, feel part of something but not to win. It is the same motivation I have in the photo competition.

It was a surprise to me that I won and, although I am pleased, my entry was a bit off beat but there to try and show that you could take a small plane, with a Cox engine and fly it in a small space.

I haven't yet acheived my ambition with it - to perform stunts and extremely slow flying but that will come and I will post my results - good or bad!

I would like to donate my prize to the contest organiser - not that he will have a choice because I won't tell him where to send it to! Cool

I must say though that it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I had "imagined" that I would be able to fly "hands free" but it got quite fraut at times. Small adjustments to make "improvements" had unexpected consequences. I never got it to fly level and true!

Thanks again.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Very tricky Ian........

I had no idea RTP even existed until this contest. It opened my eyes up to possibilities in the future.

I hope you had some fun with this even though it was a rough go at times. You logged an impressive time!

I certainly appreciate the gift and if you should ever change your mind let me know and I will gladly send it to you. It might be a bit worn and oily though... Very Happy 

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:42 pm

After finally tidying up the garden ( all the time levelling last year was a waste - the rain had washed it all away!), I took the KK Radian to one side and told him that he wouldn't be allowed to enter the competition.

"What!!!!" was the reply, followed by

"Why did I let you install that mass produced thing in my nose when you have such a marvellous selection of diesels!"

I explained that this combination was perhaps a very rare Cox build. The combination of a Medallion 049 and the Hiscott silencer make this engine probably the best Cox RC candidate.

Reluctantly, KK agreed to fly!

Took some trimming - bumpy take offs and quite a bit of hedge trimming followed by grass cutting by KK.

Here is the first flights (including oopsies!)

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 pm

Ron
Are we going to start this contest again? After the speed contest?
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:53 pm

Possibly, I will re-evaluate after the speed contest and see if the participation is there.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Possibly, I will re-evaluate after the speed contest and see if the participation is there.

Ron
It's there and it's drying in my living room right now.
Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics) - Page 6 LiqaETB
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Very Happy 

Funny Jim, hopefully more folks have wet planes ready to go.

Edit: I just did a quick tally on folks who signed up to those who posted times and and it was right at 50%

I may also consider doing a CL only event as there was only 1 RC entry and he also flies CL quite regularly.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox flight contest time log (Winners announced and prize pics) - Page 6 Empty Contest duration

Post  VUgearhead Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 am

Perhaps, instead of making it a year long event, we limit it to a summertime event. That way, contestants in the southern climes don't have an advantage of suitable flying time over the boys/girls up north. 3-4 months would seem good; maybe May-August.

That would also free up 2/3's of the year for those who prefer to build over flying!

Only problem I see with that schedules is contestants south of the Equator, where the contest would be running during their winter.
VUgearhead
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:26 am

Hi, anybody out here? It has been a long since anything was said on this thread.
Is there any chance of running another flight time contest for 2016?
I think this is a good idea - a little message from the back of the brain every month to get out and fly.
I need the challenge.

Cheers - Poughkeepsie Pete
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:55 pm

Pete,

I put up a poll to see if it garners enough interest.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:06 pm

Hey thanks Pete, I think it's a great idea. No way I'll compete for a top place time, but like you said, just a little kick to get out with a Cox and fly.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6