Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

.049 Prop bush Cox_ba12

.049 Prop bush Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:14 am

» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

.049 Prop bush Empty
Live on Patrol

.049 Prop bush

Go down

.049 Prop bush Empty .049 Prop bush

Post  Brainsparks30 Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:12 am

Hello from England, got a cox 0.49 cheap from a local bring and buy.  I bought some new 5x3 cox props from Xenalook Canada, but they dont seem all that snug a fit on the prop bolt.  I thought of reaming the prop and making a bush up from K&S metal tube, but Im not quite sure as cox hardware seems to all American imperial.  Can anyone suggest a perfect solution?
Brainsparks30
Brainsparks30

Back to top Go down

.049 Prop bush Empty Re: .049 Prop bush

Post  pkrankow Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:24 am

Are they loose and wobbly, or just a light slip fit?  A light slip fit will be fine, the grooves in the prop and hub will help keep it aligned.  Even if it is loose and wobbly it can still work fine,  you will need to use extra care setting it up though.

It it is really loose then maybe finding a tube that fits the #5 screw and reaming to suit might be a good idea.  The tube should be notably shorter than the hub, as the hub does compress some. 

I have used silicone fuel hose with over sized slow run props quite successfully, so using a rigid tube is not specifically necessary.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:40 am

Do you mean it's loose because the screw is smaller than the hole in the prop? If so, then Phil's suggestion of a piece of silicon fuel tube in the rear hole to center the hub is the widely accepted bushing, even recommended by APC propeller company.

Welcome to CEF, glad you found us.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:43 am

pkrankow:  I have used silicone fuel hose with over sized slow run props quite successfully, so using a rigid tube is not specifically necessary.

Like Phil noted, using fuel tubing is a common and effective means to center a prop.  The tubing should not extend beyond the hub, since its only function is to keep the prop centered until the prop screw is tightened.  After that, the compression on the hub will hold it in place. 

1/2A APC props have a large hole in the hub and need either a turned bushing or tubing to help center it.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 am

I had some bushings made for APC props that are very well engineered. Your problem however is with the Cox props themselves. My solution to your problem may or may not help but it's certainly worth trying. If your using a stock Cox screw, I would try another. Use a 5-40 Allen socket head which has a shoulder on the last remaining portion and not threaded the entire length of the shaft. This may just help your loose fit. In addition, many of the steel prop screws are just plain bad, they're not straight which can compound and telegraph bad vibes which can certainly rob performance. The socket head is much harder and not as susceptible to bending and it will square the spinner to the prop correctly vs the other way around. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:25 am

Just wrap a strip of paper around the shaft/screw until you get a good fit. Put a drop of glue on it to keep it from unwrapping.
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:32 am

In the meantime, why muck about?  Cox props from Bernie are $1.95 (http://coxengines.ca/propellers/) and whilst a little more expensive from Matt, he has a much wider selection (http://www.exmodelengines.com/propellers/?&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&objects_per_page=50).
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:50 am

Ken Cook wrote:I had some bushings made for APC props that are very well engineered. ........ If your using a stock Cox screw, I would try another. Use a 5-40 Allen socket head which has a shoulder on the last remaining portion and not threaded the entire length of the shaft. This may just help your loose fit.

The holes in the smaller APC props are often drilled off center --- APC admits this.  However, the recess molded in the back of the hub is centered, but bushings have to have a shoulder that fits snugly and flush.  If you either have access to a lathe or someone who can turn these, this is the best approach for APC.

I do the same as Ken WTR COX prop screws.  The shorter socket screws are almost always fully threaded, but once you get to an inch in length, they will generally have a shoulder.  I buy this type, both for COX replacement and NORVEL replacement screws, then cut to length so that the screw tightens down just before it bottoms out in the shaft.  The additional length allows maximum thread contact and helps support the bored out section of the crank.

.049 Prop bush Socket10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Paulgibeault Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:04 am

Just wrap the propscrew with a bit of tape is my easy solution. Use alum duct tape IF you feel the need to get fancy...
Cheers, Paul
Paulgibeault
Paulgibeault
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

.049 Prop bush Empty Job done

Post  Brainsparks30 Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks for your replies, went with the fuel tube over the screw option. Also now using cox cap head screw and spinner. I will probably try everything in the end, I link to tinker!
Brainsparks30
Brainsparks30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down