Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Cox_ba12

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Empty
Live on Patrol

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Empty I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee!

Post  pkrankow Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:52 pm

So I ordered a Brodak Baby Flight Streak for one of these TeeDees to run, most likely on bladder (My .051 will require bladder, I know it is reamed out and has a fine NVA that appears to be a Texas Timers, one other teedee .049 may need bladder too.)

Of course I need to build it, and I need to do everything else to it, before I get to flying it.  

The only thing I have ironed out is to build the airframe, then paint, then cover the wings with my choice of film.  I have had much better results with this order than with anything else.

So, before I even have the kit in my possession....Tips?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Empty Re: I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee!

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:17 pm

Phil,

I have one coming as well, I think Rusty did a build thread on his over in the modeling section.

From my understanding they fly well right off the board.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Empty Re: I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee!

Post  pkrankow Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:40 pm

That's why I ordered one! I am sick of trimming and trimming and trimming only to not have an excellent flying machine. (or a broken one)

I'll have a look for Rusty's thread.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:56 pm

Phil,

The biggest tip I can pass along to anyone is to make sure the wing is razor straight. Your elevator can be a tad crooked or you rudder a bit off, but if the wing is even the slightest bit warped then it will fly like dung. Especially on 1/2A!

Of course you probably knew all that anyway Phil. Just wanted to share in case anyone else is reading.

The BFS has a good amount of squares and I am sure that helps the flyability a bunch. Looking forward to another BFS build thread.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Phil, if you choose to use the landing gear provided, I would certainly sweep it slightly forward as to the way it's built on the plans. The gear configuration allows the plane to trip over it's own gear. Prior to installing the wing, glassing the rear of the cutout is highly recommended. The tail acts like a fly swatter and snaps off directly at the point the flaps meet the fuse. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:21 pm

The only time mine has ever crashed was 2 minutes into a tail heavy maiden flight, and my fuse broke just under the stab. After fixing that and balancing, it's the best 1/2A I've ever flown. It's an absolutely wonderful plane and will do anything you input. A 5.25 MA prop and 45 foot lines is perfect with the Tee Dee. Mine has a Tee Dee .051 too. I have another with a Big Mig .061 at 7.2 ounces and it's a dream flyer too. Someone else built it.

I'll try to find that build thread. Click on the Youtube button under my avatar to see it fly.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Enjoying this , thanks.
Here's the link to Rusty's build thread.
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t2293-baby-flite-streak-build-thread_it-flies
Keep us posted Phil.
Bob

Last edited by dckrsn on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:37 pm

I just changed the title in case that breaks Bob's link.
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t2293-baby-flite-streak-build-thread#33145

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:44 pm

RknRusty wrote:I just changed the title in case that breaks Bob's link.
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t2293-baby-flite-streak-build-thread#33145
Should be saved in "Models and Modeling" or somewhere, for ease of access.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:41 pm

I just perused it. It's a long thread, but some good info in there. Pay no attention to my clunky over complicated bladder. It's gotten much simpler with a little experience. And I can fly it much better now too.lol! I can't believe how bad I looked in that maiden video. But... that was the only crash this plane has ever had, and it has a lot of flights on it now.  It's a fine little plane. Tighter on the lines than any other 1/2A I've flown. Same with my other one with the Norvel, which I refer to as BFS II.

Phil, I'm excited to see another one being given life and looking forward to the build thread.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 am

I read that thread through last night.  Probably going to read it again.

So...

build the wing straight

glass the fuse at the end of the wing

make sure it isn't tail heavy, especially for the maiden

Is there a better way to run bladder?  Inside the wing maybe?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:10 am

I got overnight serviced! OK, PA to OH isn't that far, and it was ground, and I ordered before noon...BUT I GOT OVERNIGHT SERVICE FROM BRODAKS!!!

Can't start on this till I have a bathroom tiled though.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 am

The bladder swells up just a little bit too large to fit inside the wing, unless you want to give it a way to bulge out of the top. If you leave off all the junk hanging behind the early attempt in my picture, it tucks under the wing pretty inconspicuously. I usually put it under the outboard wing, unlike the picture. The back of the bag is tied to the fuse or boom with dacron string colored with a Sharpie. Make sure it doesn't constrict the inflated bladder.

Here's what one looks like on my Li'l Satan. Since there are no wheels, I put it on the top, which some would consider aesthetically unappealing. But you can hide it pretty well on the Streak.
I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Lil_sa10
You can clip the zip tie and change to a new bladder in a minute or two.  Here, I just have the filter stuffed into the bladder front end, but on the planes with more room for hardware, I use a Texas Timers bladder fitting to a 1" piece of medium thick fuel tube to the filter. The bladder pictured will easily hold an ounce.

EDIT: The TT fitting is conical and prevents burps from air until it's almost time to land. I like the warning.

Last edited by RknRusty on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 am

pkrankow wrote:I got overnight serviced!  OK, PA to OH isn't that far, and it was ground, and I ordered before noon...BUT I GOT OVERNIGHT SERVICE FROM BRODAKS!!!

Can't start on this till I have a bathroom tiled though.

Phil
Don't lay the tiles crooked!lol!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:52 am

I built that kit not long ago, the way the leading edge went together is kinda Micky Mouse.
Had to resize the the leading edge pieces to make it work. They give you jig pieces to glue it up, did not fit the ribs well.
A solid leading edge would be nice.

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Img_2110
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:05 am

I botched my LE. I didn't quite understand the instructions. After I sanded to get the shape right, had to do some gap filling with Titebond, but it came out looking fine and seems sturdy enough.

One thing to WATCH OUT FOR is the booklet tells you where to locate the CG and it's different from the plans... by a lot. The plan has it right on the money. USE THE CG ON THE PLANS. I'll look at the booklet this evening to make sure I back up my statement. They might have changed the book since last year.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:30 am

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Img_2012

Yea, getting there
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:34 pm

RknRusty wrote:I botched my LE. I didn't quite understand the instructions. After I sanded to get the shape right, had to do some gap filling with Titebond, but it came out looking fine and seems sturdy enough.

One thing to WATCH OUT FOR is the booklet tells you where to locate the CG and it's different from the plans... by a lot. The plan has it right on the money. USE THE CG ON THE PLANS. I'll look at the booklet this evening to make sure I back up my statement. They might have changed the book since last year.
I've had two Brodak models and the booklets left alot to be desired in both instances. Plans were great but it's like the booklet was written in a foreign language and then poorly translated to English. Also the photos didn't necessarily match the corresponding text. Great planes though, just a bit confusing if you don't have a ton of building experience.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:48 pm

They threw extra pictures of OTHER airplanes in, confusing, yes.

They used generic pictures of a different airplane for certain steps, confusing, yes.

The book states 1 1/2 inch from LE for CG, and the plans measure about 1 inch (15/16, but I'll check again later)

I will be using Elmer's wood glue, primarily , unless my gallon has gone bad (then I'll get a small bottle of some type of PVA wood glue like Elmer's or TightbondII. I don't use glue like I used to anymore). I will use epoxy, Testors wood and metal cement, and CA for certain steps that these other adhesives are superior for.

This is a D-tube LE wing. I have been wanting to build/study one of these because I am considering a DLG/TLG for RC (Discus/Tip launch glider)

The built up LE appears to be a fairly standard assembly. Most of the plans I have looked at recently have been asymmetrical airfoils, so the LE is shaped differently, and frequently 3 pieces.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:14 pm

Yeah, that 1-1/2" is way too far back. Your plans are right on the money. 15/16" is about where both of mine fly. That's just about touching the front leadout tube, and hangs slightly nose down. You're gonna love this plane. It's a superior airship.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:08 pm

RknRusty wrote: You're gonna love this plane. It's a superior airship.
I second that. It's not a Baby Flite Streak, but here is a pic of me flying my Flite Streak at one of my clubs annual community days.

I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Ftstrk10

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:47 pm

Very nice.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:03 pm

BAM!
I ordered a Baby Flight Streak for a TeeDee! Img_2013

No, I haven't started the plane.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:35 pm

Aw mannn! Well, nice tile work anyway.
Are you planning to go with the traditional color scheme on the Streak, or have you even thought about that yet? When I built my Baby Streak I was determined to do the original colors. I thought the dark part was blue, so that's what I bought, but I think it's actually supposed to be black. I like the Navy blue though.

Shawn, do you consider your big Streak to be as superior of a stunter in its class as the Baby Streak is? I'd really like to have one some day. I thought maybe an ARF, but I've heard they're flimsy. I'd like to be able to survive at least a moderate crash or two.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:57 pm

No, I'm not going to do the whole scheme, but I have white and red, and I can paint blue or black. eh...ask me when I get a real build thread going.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next