Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

my magnetic prop balancer Cox_ba12

my magnetic prop balancer Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 6:52 pm

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by Ken Cook Today at 5:46 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 5:19 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

my magnetic prop balancer Empty
Live on Patrol

my magnetic prop balancer

Go down

my magnetic prop balancer Empty my magnetic prop balancer

Post  roddie Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:35 pm

Here's a twist on a Great Planes "finger-tip" balance-shaft and the use of "rare-earth" magnets I got from Radio Shack. You've all seen the various magnetic balancers out there... Here's one you can build, if you like "building things"... (requests "smiley" with a hammer)

You will need a Great Planes "finger-tip" balance-shaft or equivalent, and "rare-earth" magnets similar to the one's "Radio Shack" sells in a 2-pack; which are approx. 3/16" in dia. x 1/16" thick. (see links below)

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Planes-Fingertip-Balancer-GPMQ5000/dp/B001BHK54W

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102642

My balancer has a prop capacity of 16.5" dia. (only because that's the size I decided to make)
Note: the largest prop I checked the balance on... was the largest I had; an APC 11 x 6

Here's a couple pics... Note: "Kavan" fingertip balancer shown... substitute w/"Great Planes"
my magnetic prop balancer Prop_b17
my magnetic prop balancer Prop_b18

I made a wood frame; consisting of a 6" sq. plywood base and top, with 2 uprights that were 1/4" thick x 1 1/2" wide (fir "lattice" would work fine) placed wide enough to accommodate the balance-shaft plus the magnets... plus a pair of 1/4-20 x 1"L. hex-head bolts; allowing for fine adjustment and expansion/contraction of the wooden frame. I CA glued the magnets to the two 1/4-20 hex-head bolts ends... and drilled/tapped the 2 wooden "vertical" pcs. to receive them... (tapping was a little excessive... but that's me...) My fixture is held together with 4 metal corner braces, but what's important is having the 2 adjustment points level... and "adjustable". The frame/base and top, could be however you choose to build it.

As with most magnetic balancers; the "needle-point" of the balance-shaft only contacts "one" of the magnets. The other end of the balance-shaft "floats" in the opposite magnets' "magnetic field". I personally think that this "concept" is as close as you're gonna get... to "accurately" balancing your props... which is very important for a number of reasons... less vibration... which equals; less wear on your engine, airframe, radio equipment and less fuel foaming.

What "my" design allows for; is the adjustability of the magnetic field that suspends the balance-shaft. I.E. you would "begin" balancing; with "both ends" of the shaft; in contact with "both" of the magnets... then "back-off" the adjustment-bolts; to where one side "falls off" because of gravity. Screw "either" of one side back "in" slightly until the shaft "floats" again; and lightly flick the prop to rotate it. If it falls again... adjust a magnet (bolt) "in" a little more... (Ideally... "pulsing" a little elec. fan on and off; to rotate the prop for final balancing is key.)

The little "cable" you see in the pics; is just a "storage-retainer" I made... so I don't ever lose the balance-shaft.

If anything is unclear/confusing... let me know. I'd be happy to clarify.

Roger

Last edited by roddie on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:55 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Originally)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

my magnetic prop balancer Empty Re: my magnetic prop balancer

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:47 am

I like it. I guess I missed this thread. I'd forgotten Radio Shack had rare earth magnets. I've always gutted hard drives to get them. I use them for all kinds of things, from fridge magnets to table cloth retainers on the outdoor metal table. I like magnets that will give you a blood blister.

Nice balancer. Another Roddie classic.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks Rusty, FYI... WalMart has them too, but they're twice the size of Radio Shack's @ .472" dia. and .118" in thickness. Cost is $11 for a 6pk.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down