Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly Cox_ba12

So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 9:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 8:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 8:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 2:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Today at 12:25 am

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 10:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 6:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Yesterday at 12:33 am

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly Empty
Live on Patrol

So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly

Go down

So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly Empty So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly

Post  flyjsh Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:23 pm

Howdy all,

Forgive me for not posting in a long time, things have been... well, life-ish.

So, I adopted my gal's 17 year old daughter who is heading for MIT, and she seems interested in little screaming hunks of metal.  I'm going to fix up one of those cardboard pizza box flyers to get her started, but they are so darned ugly, I really want to share a build with her.  Now, being as I am a greedy b*****d, and I want to build a 1930ish looking plane to go with my Gilbert Thunderhead .11 (art deco meets model airplanes), I am looking for ideas for a trainer (not a stunter, not a lifeless round and round, but one that can lumber through a loop).

Initially, I was thinking a slab wing and profile, but was unsure of the size (maybe 30 inch span, 150 inch area?).  Or a flat bottom airfoil (easy build and thick wings keep the speed down) on a profile or simple box fuselage (again, easy build).  Or crazier yet, I stumbled on this plan http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_files_02/2713/PropSaver.pdf (it is pretty weird for a weird looking engine).  

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John
flyjsh
flyjsh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly Empty Re: So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly

Post  batjac Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:58 pm

How did I ever miss THIS plan on Outerzone. Looks like a winner to me. For a Gilbert .11, I'd say it's about right if you can get the balance point where it needs to be. I look at the Gilbert as more of a .09 or slightly less power output. Granted, I've just played with running mine on a bench, but it seems to be about Medallion .09 power. Show us the build pics when you do it.

The Seemly Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly Empty Re: So I have a Gilbert Thunderhead and a Step Daughter who wants to fly

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:09 pm

Hey, welcome back John!
MIT, eh, that suggests other than your run o' the mill personality for a 17 year old... girl. That's exciting. With only 8 weeks or so to go before she's off to college, the best route to keeping the airplane flame lit might be function first, style second. Getting her in the air with a quick stable airframe to kindle her itch to fly and tinker might be the way to go. Then when she's home for the holidays, you can show her the classic masterpiece on the work table as y'all are headed out to put another flight on the beater.

Rusty

EDIT: all sorts of philosophical blabber about my own once-child scientist deleted.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:03 pm

RknRusty wrote: With only 8 weeks or so to go before she's off to college, the best route to keeping the airplane flame lit might be function first, style second. Getting her in the air with a quick stable airframe to kindle her itch to fly and tinker might be the way to go.

Yeah, what he said. I forget not everyone is a balsa geek with no life, like I am.

The Proud Geek Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Why not "White Lightening" with a Cox TD or a NV .049 or .061 on it?
http://hippocketaeronautics.com/cl_planes.htm
SHE can build it.

The MAN-WIN is pretty fun on a bee too
http://www.balsabeavers.com/information/information.php

She can also built this.

Run Cox rubber ducky props over grass and have a blast! The soft props are less power than "competition" props, flex horribly de-powering them but if the dirt is soft-ish you can bury the engine completely and not break the prop!

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 pm

John, Congratulations on being a new proud and "official" DAD!!! We will all be very interested to see what type of model you'll choose for her. It's really great that she's interested in this common bond with you. It doesn't matter what model you build together.. it's the quality time spent, that she'll always remember.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  flyjsh Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:54 am

Thanks folks, I appreciate the advice.

I have an old wing and firewall from the T5 (see my first thread), that I am rebuilding for her.  Just a round and rounder.  I figure if she sees a battered old rebuild flier, she will get the idea that these planes were meant to be flown and broken.  And I have plans for a pizza pie flier that I am throwing together as a backup.

RE the Prop Saver, I will cut out the ribs and gather the parts.  If she wants to, we can build it together.  If not, I will build it myself (sometimes I forget that not everyone wants a build).  I promise to post a build thread.

Funny thing.... I always liked building more than flying.

Thanks,
John
flyjsh
flyjsh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  flyjsh Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:10 am

++deleted
flyjsh
flyjsh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum