Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sullivan Cables Cox_ba12

Sullivan Cables Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by mike in SC Today at 7:31 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Today at 7:08 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sullivan Cables Empty
Live on Patrol

Sullivan Cables

Go down

Sullivan Cables Empty Sullivan Cables

Post  Kim Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:09 am

Yo Guys,

I recently ordered a set of Contol Line Cables for my bud, Patrick.  He wants a set of 70 footers for his Flite Streak, and I got him a set from Omni Models.

When they arrived, I noticed that the ends were finished with sizable loops left in them.  I know there's been a fair amount of discussion here about the proper way to crimp them, but don't remember seeing them finished this way:

Sullivan Cables Cables10

I emailed the Sullivan company and got this response:

On 6/23/2014 11:56 AM, Kim Stricker wrote:
> Good Morning Folks,
>
> I just received these cables, S-136 .018 Dia. 70 Ft form Omni Models. and noticed that there are large loops left in the finished ends.  They appear to not have been drawn down before crimping and I was worried that they may allow slippage when under tension.
>
> Is there a way I can exchange them for another set?  I have not yet opened the package.
>
> Thank You,
>
> Kim Stricker
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kim,

They are, surprisingly, as they should be. It sounds strange, but the
line is stronger with a loop like that then a tight bend, which would
create a kink in the line. Those bends or kinks would become to weakest
point in the line and could lead to a break and then slippage. The
strength is fairly important, as you are well aware, and we want them to
pass the required AMA regulations.

Thank you for the email, and please let me know if you have any more
questions.

William Connolly
Brand Manager|Sullivan Products
P: 410-732-3500|www.sullivanproducts.com
william.connolly@sullivanproducts.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Their Ebay photos, however feature this version:

Sullivan Cables Cables11

So, I'm now wondering if I should try to return them for another set either from Omni or some other dealer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I DON'T want Patrick's Flite Streak back on my work table in the near-future!

Loopy Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Sullivan Cables Empty Re: Sullivan Cables

Post  gcb Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:24 am

I have never seen this before either. I would ask for either my money back or a set that you wrap yourself (and use the AMA wrap)...and I would cross  Sullivan off my list for finished lines.

I would be afraid of a loop getting tangled in the other line.

In all fairness this is speculation and I may be talking through my hat. Has anyone actually used them?

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Kim,

Sullivan is correct, in a way. That loop is highly exaggerated though and it should have been pulled tighter. It's possible to leave a very small loop.

Left as is they can cause issues, I would either re-terminate or get your money back and buy an un-terminated set as George suggested. The advantage to the latter is that you can verify that lines are equal length. In my experience Sullivan lines are a crap shoot on length.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:00 pm

That's the poorest example yet I've seen from Sullivan. Obviously, whoever is in charge of overseeing this process has never flown a control line model. The lines are never the claimed length on the package and they're almost never equal to each other in length. Now this is another problem from them. Tom Morris provides the best lines in the hobby. Here's an example with some nice terminations. http://stunthanger.com/hobby//product_info.php?products_id=139&osCsid=b169a8d0e1d2741887f2ea235d92f56f

Kim, in my honest opinion I feel that 70' is too long of a length for a Flite Streak. It could certainly cause issues. If this Streak has one wheel, I wouldn't consider using that line length due to the plane rolling inboard and the lines getting snagged on the ground. If that desired line length is due to trying to lower the speeds, I would seriously consider changing to a lighter pitch prop. I have no idea what engine your using or even if this is a Top Flite kit or a ARF. I personally wouldn't get the line length too long. I would try 63' handle to centerline of plane and go from there. I wouldn't shorten them anymore than 58' as this will keep your line length at 60' center of plane /center of handle. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks very much guys...think I'm gonna return them.  I appreciate you including Mr. Morris' site Ken...I intend to send him some business.

I got a special situation with Patrick, in that he lives in his own little world of what's cool in model airplanes.  He's been flying control line for forty some years, but pulled his first loop only just a couple years ago, and STILL doesn't really register about what the plane needs to be controlled...hauling in full UP whenever he's faced with an unfamiliar situation.

His Streak is the ARF I assembled for him last winter, and has been hanging in there fairly well...especially after being looped into the ground after a pitched-up stooge launch.

He is absolutely obsessed with flying his planes on the longest lines possible, and yes, were gonna have issues...but he keeps insisting.  

SO....I guess I'll give him the option of rolling the dice on another set of Sullivan Lines or buying some from Tom.

Again, appreciate the returns on the thread.   Gonna see what Patrick wants to do...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Kim, Tom offers his lines in 2 versions. He offers a 7 strand and a 19 strand. While the 19 strand is absolutely beautiful to even run through your fingers, it's also fragile. I wouldn't recommend those for the sport flier. The 7 works just fine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:09 pm

Kim,

Why not have Patrick join the forum? Perhaps hearing it from more than one person will quell the stubbornness.

He is going to be sorely disappointed when he does his first loop on 70 footers. I can guarantee some more time on the workbench is in your future... Very Happy

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:19 pm

I purchased lines from Tom Morris. Fast turnaround time and equal correct length lines.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:50 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Kim,

Why not have Patrick join the forum? Perhaps hearing it from more than one person will quell the stubbornness.

He is going to be sorely disappointed when he does his first loop on 70 footers. I can guarantee some more time on the workbench is in your future... Very Happy

Yeah, I've tried to get him to use the Library's computers in town to check out the Forum and learn to cruise Ebay to check on stuff he's always asking me about.

Once he leaves the field though, he seems to have no interest in reading any of the Forum Notes I've printed for him, and prefers just to tell me tall stories from his past flying experiences.

If he DOES plant the Streak though, he'll have a good long wait for more time on the work table ! I got 'bout a ton of crap going on right now.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:14 pm

Kim,

"One day at a time"