Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Racing Wheels! Cox_ba12

Racing Wheels! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by mike in SC Today at 1:54 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Racing Wheels! Empty
Live on Patrol

Racing Wheels!

Go down

Racing Wheels! Empty Racing Wheels!

Post  roddie Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:37 pm

I made these today during lunch on the CNC router.

Racing Wheels! 8-18-110
Racing Wheels! 8-18-111

The material is a 3mm thickness exterior-grade "sign-panel" sheet-product that we have where I work. The core is PVC with thin aluminum "faces" bonded to each side. We also have it in "white".. but the white has a white "core". The red has a black core.. and I plan on milling the aluminum "off one side" around the outer edge; to give the "faux" appearance of a black tire.

The hubs are drilled 1/8" diameter and can be "bushed" smaller, as I did with the tail-wheels that I recently made from black 6mil PVC.

Racing Wheels! Staked11

I'm not sure what would be better.. the "spoked" or the "solid" design? The solid wheel(s) would have less drag.. but the spoked version would be lighter. (I'm splitting-hairs here.. because these wheels are VERY lightweight) They also could be scuff-sanded and re-painted a different color.

These wheels are most suited to 1/4A-1/2A size models. Any bigger; you'd want to go with a conventional wheel with a sponge-tire, for it's shock-absorbing properties.

If any of you; 2nd-round "CEF Reed-Speed" contestants are building models with "gear".. these wheels would be a super-lightweight option. The ones shown are 1.25", 1.375" and 1.5" in diameter.. but I can "custom" make any diameter.. and "bush" them for your planned axle... tail-wheel as well. Let me know soon if you're interested. I'm not looking to make a lot of money off these wheels.. but what would "you" pay for a set? I'd like some feedback on this.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Racing Wheels! Empty Re: Racing Wheels!

Post  pkrankow Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:04 pm

I am building a small RC bird using dollar tree foam wheels with hot glue tires. Coffee stirrers for the axle to pass.

Yea, you have me beat by miles and miles. Nicely done.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Seems like I paid 5 or 6 bucks a set for the 1/2a proto wheels I used on my last reed speed models. I would make them solid. Unless you're  saving a significant amount of weight aerodynamics trumps weight savings.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks both to Phil and Jim.

Phil.. if I didn't have access to the CNC router.. and the vast array of interesting materials that I do at work.. I'd most definitely be experimenting with easily accessible materials available at the store.. using the tools I have at home.. the same as you are. That's truly "hand-made".. and really what modeling is all about.

Jim, The "solids" were what I was thinking would be better aerodynamically as well. The "spoked" versions look cool.. but I imagine the holes would cause unwanted turbulence/drag. We're talking "micro-grams" of weight difference between the two.

So.. Is a set of my "main" wheels worth 5 bucks.. or 7 bucks with a tailwheel plus shipping? (that's "rigid-bushed" for your axle diameters).. That's kinda' what I was thinking... but I wanted some feedback before offering them at that price.

EDIT: tail-wheels can be made of the same 3mm (approx. .118" thickness) material.. rather than the 6mil one shown.. which is for a considerably larger model.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:45 am

$5-7? wow, that's expensive, $2.50 should be enough; Tower Hobbies

Just kidding, homemade is always better, then you are sure to have something unique too. Wink
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:49 am

Machine a groove around the outside and slip on a correct sized O ring

at that size diaameter and the width of the frontal section (relative to the wind being flown through) there should be zero drag coefficient difference between the two designes
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Machine a groove around the outside and slip on a correct sized O ring

at that size diaameter and the width of the frontal section (relative to the wind being flown through) there should be zero drag coefficient difference between the two designes

I don't have access to a lathe Fred.. but there is the possibility that a tight enough fitting O-ring might "seat" itself if the wheel was heated a little.. with the O-ring installed. The PVC core might soften.. and the O-ring might "shrink-set" between the aluminum skins. I just might try that.. to see if it works. It might be as simple as laying the wheel with the O-ring around it.. in a frying-pan and heating on the stove-top.  Huh... (that's a lot of "mights"..)

Here's a look with an O-ring tire.. and some weight (in grams) comparisons of "spoked" vs. "solids".

Racing Wheels! 8-19-110
Racing Wheels! 8-19-111
Racing Wheels! 8-19-113
Racing Wheels! 8-19-112

My digital scale isn't super accurate.. but the "spoked" wheel/tire surely must weigh close to one gram. I really like the look of the O-ring tire. I thought it would add a lot of weight.. but it doesn't. If I can achieve a reliable "bond" between the two.. it would be a much better option. I may have to charge more $$ though... It all depends on how many wheels I can fit in the frying pan at a time!  Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:19 am

A regular drill on slow speed and a hand file would do the job...
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:50 am

Surfer_kris wrote:A regular drill on slow speed and a hand file would do the job...

Yes indeed it would. I have a bagful of long 5-40 screws that I could make a mandrel from, for turning in a drill before I install any hub bushings. I'll try cutting the head off one, and use two nuts and rubber washers to sandwich the wheel-hub.. to help keep it secure. I have small Riffler and rat-tail files that should do the job. Thanks for mentioning that Kris!  Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:26 pm

Here's my latest wheels consisting of a different "white" 3mm composite sheet.. with a PVC core and .010" aluminum d/s facers. These wheels measure 1" and 3/4" in diameter. The O-rings are very tight as shown without a "rim" being formed. They should fit nicely once that's done. 3mm is less than 1/8" thickness.. so these wheels will have very little drag.

cutting the sheet..

Racing Wheels! 9-9-1412

and with the O-ring "tire" look.

Racing Wheels! 9-9-1413

These will have their 1/8" dia. hubs bushed for .062" music-wire axles, using aluminum tubing.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:52 pm

They look great Roddie. Do you plan on selling them?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:They look great Roddie. Do you plan on selling them?

Ron, I wanted to see how they "fabbed-up".. and tonight I made a "turning-mandrel" from a 1"L. 5-40 machine-screw, two nuts and fiber washers.. to fit my moto-tool and hold the wheel tight, and used a small tapered round-file to cut the seat for the rubber O-ring/tire.. in between the aluminum facers.

Racing Wheels! 9-10-110

The O-ring tire was a nice TIGHT fit.. so I proceeded to cut the two aluminum-tubing hub-reduction bushings to fit a 1/16" music-wire axle.. (1/8" and 3/32" o.d. tubing diameters) to the wheels 3mm thickness.. and staked them both into the hub, using size PH-0 and PH-00 Phillips insert bit/drivers.

This is a 3/4" wheel with it's tire. It would make a sweet "pair" of mains for a little 1/4A tail-dragger model.. or serve as a tail-wheel for a larger airplane.

Racing Wheels! 9-10-111

These wheels are very thin.. about .118" (3mm) and may not work too well in the grass.. because there's not enough tire/wheel width for plowing a path for the axle/strut.. and they will snag the grass while R.O.G. or landing.

I'll more than likely mail you a set or two; for prizes/awards for CEF's Reed Speed II, as discussed previously. When you receive them, let me know what you think. I wouldn't know what to ask for a custom set. Domestically.. (U.S.) shipping is about $2.. (that's what it cost me to mail the postage-stamp mounts) I've made the "raw" wheels of this type; in sizes of 3/4", 1.0" and 1.25" diameters.. about 40 sets/ea. on the last run. I need to spec-out "O-ring sizes" for the larger two wheels.. and then I'll have the components for a production-run of those 3 sizes. I think they're a good spread for the small model airplanes that are generally discussed here.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down