Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Electric starter with a built on battery? Cox_ba12

Electric starter with a built on battery? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:31 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:17 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Electric starter with a built on battery? Empty
Live on Patrol

Electric starter with a built on battery?

Go down

Electric starter with a built on battery? Empty Electric starter with a built on battery?

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:16 pm

At least for now with my arm and shoulder problems, I need an electric starter. I've looked at Sullivan and Graupner and they all have leads for an external battery. I'd prefer to have one with a small 12v battery pack at least strapped to it. Especially when I'm cranking in front of judges, I don't want to be dragging a load of gear around. I've seen them in pictures, but can't locate one made that way, or a small battery pack that I can strap to it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Electric starter with a built on battery? Empty Re: Electric starter with a built on battery?

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:47 pm

RknRusty wrote:At least for now with my arm and shoulder problems, I need an electric starter. I've looked at Sullivan and Graupner and they all have leads for an external battery. I'd prefer to have one with a small 12v battery pack at least strapped to it. Especially when I'm cranking in front of judges, I don't want to be dragging a load of gear around. I've seen them in pictures, but can't locate one made that way, or a small battery pack that I can strap to it. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Rusty

Heres a couple:
Electric starter with a built on battery? ?ui=2&ik=3f76805d45&view=fimg&th=148c8ba22d59379e&attid=0

Electric starter with a built on battery? ?ui=2&ik=3f76805d45&view=fimg&th=148c8ba22d59379e&attid=0

The sullivan dynatron is my everyday starter. The hobbico starter is a little worn out, so I use it as a backup.
Both of these work with a 3s LIPO, but for a little extra torque with the larger engines you can use a 4s. The dynatron will take up to a 6s and would probably flip a 100cc gasser if it had a belt reduction.

I just cut the external power leads about 5" from the starter and solder on a battery connector. For the sullivan, I just used two adjustable velcro straps to affix the battery. The Hobbico has a homebuilt light plywood box, but many people use Radioshack project boxes for it.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Electric starter with a built on battery? Empty Re: Electric starter with a built on battery?

Post  crankbndr Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:41 pm

crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:00 pm

crankbndr wrote:Tower Hobbies has this setup

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ2423

You're about $80 into that by the time you purchase all of that.

My method will run about $20-$40+ for your starter (depending on model) and then you can get a $10 battery from china and thats it. Unless you need a charger, which you can get one for about $30 for a decent chinese unit. But most hobbyists nowadays have some sort of LIPO charger.
But if you want to do it the storebought way, thats fine.
Oh,and by the looks of it, that "PowerCore" is likely a NICD, NIHM, or lead acid battery. The LIPO batteries of today are much better than that as far as usable current output and capacity.
At the field where I fly RC, most of the glow pilots have a starter like the ones I pictured. I'd never even seen one of the ones linked in your post...

Not trying to start an argument here, but this truly is the one place left in this hobby where you can build it cheaper than you can buy it, with better performance to boot.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Rusty, I went through that for over a year. My shoulder pains migrate quickly down my arm if things don't go off as planned. 1/2A can pretty much break me if I'm not careful. I've almost decided to go the same route your deciding. Shawn however has been the starter lately. ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:17 pm

I had Bursitis in shoulder lately, can't even put on a t shirt. One shot of steroids in there and your done, that didn't work so I'm SOL.

Last edited by crankbndr on Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 pm

Waffleman wrote:
crankbndr wrote:Tower Hobbies has this setup

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ2423

You're about $80 into that by the time you purchase all of that.

My method will run about $20-$40+ for your starter (depending on model) and then you can get a $10 battery from china and thats it. Unless you need a charger, which you can get one for about $30 for a decent chinese unit. But most hobbyists nowadays have some sort of LIPO charger.
But if you want to do it the storebought way, thats fine.
Oh,and by the looks of it, that "PowerCore" is likely a NICD, NIHM, or lead acid battery. The LIPO batteries of today are much better than that as far as usable current output and capacity.
At the field where I fly RC, most of the glow pilots have a starter like the ones I pictured. I'd never even seen one of the ones linked in your post...

Not trying to start an argument here, but this truly is the one place left in this hobby where you can build it cheaper than you can buy it, with better performance to boot.

When you add up your numbers your at 60-80$
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Several years ago, while living in Fl, I sort of copied and built a simple but effective 1/2A starter that one of my old fellow club members had made using an old flashlight case, some rechargeable Sub C cells and a brushed high torque R/C car motor.
Although I built mine a little differently by using an old Kyosho car motor, some threaded PVC pipe, a small momentary push button switch from Radio Shack, and I modified an old Thunder Tiger Helicopter starter wand by cutting off the cone end and drilling it out to fit the motor shaft and I made the insert by filling the starter cone with high strength RTV adhesive. For power, I just ran 2 wires from the motor and switch to a 6 cell NiMh R/C car pack.
I already had the motor and battery pack so I spent maybe $10.00.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:05 pm

crankbndr wrote:

When you add up your numbers your at 60-80$

Alright lets walk through this, say with a common hobbico starter, a decent 3s LIPO, and velcro straps to attach the battery.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL396&P=ML
This is $40.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXGL9&P=SM
This is $20.
I would imagine that most hobbyists have velcro straps in the workshop somewhere, so I wont factor in that cost.

So approximately $60 If using parts available from Tower or most decent hobby shops.

Using this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10481__Turnigy_Heavy_Duty_Starter_for_2_stroke_160_110_Size_Gas_Engines.html
and this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8932

That will run you about $30.
It's a lot cheaper, but these are not available from Tower or an LHS.

Either way will work great, its really just a personal preference. Or, If you want to use a Lead acid battery hooked up to your starter then I'm not gonna stop you.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:12 pm

Just my Two Cents ... I'm sure that you could handle the wiring Rusty.. and using a lipo pack, along with the lightest weight starter you can find; that's capable of cranking your contest engine, would be easiest on your shoulder.. I would think. Even if the starter isn't a heavy-duty one.. it won't be for "all the time" use. It only needs to do the job on contest day.

I've got some nice 10ga. thin-strand "super flexible" wire if you need some.

Here's a photo of my truly redneck 1/2A starter. Much like Shawn's idea.. A brushed 540 can motor that had a gear on the output shaft, for the 3/8" rubber fuel tubing/starter-cone, a momentary switch from Radio Shack.. a bottle-cap for an "end-cap".. and a rolled aluminum flashing tube. I think I used 18ga. speaker wire. Hey.. it still works after 25+ years!

Electric starter with a built on battery? Starte10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Great, my question generated some good responses, thanks guys. I'll be starting .25-.35 size engines, I should have mentioned that. I actually have some model car motors that would make a good 1/2A starter too. I like the home built ideas, and had thought of converting a flashlight for my small planes. For the bigger ones, Waffleman put up some good info. I don't have a LIPO charger but I guess I better look into that too. Thanks for all the links. I'll let y'all know whatever I cobble together.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:45 pm

RknRusty wrote:Great, my question generated some good responses, thanks guys. I'll be starting .25-.35 size engines, I should have mentioned that. I actually have some model car motors that would make a good 1/2A starter too. I like the home built ideas, and had thought of converting a flashlight for my small planes. For the bigger ones, Waffleman put up some good info. I don't have a LIPO charger but I guess I better look into that too. Thanks for all the links. I'll let y'all know whatever I cobble together.
Rusty

Alright, if the only thing you are using a LIPO on is the starter then something like this cheap one should do it:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVZZ4&P=SM

Personally, I would recommend one like this one. Although it comes from china, it has a lot more functionality - and in my opinion is safer - than the one I linked from tower. Plus, you can charge, discharge, and cycle any kind of battery with this.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__55057__IMAX_B6_AC_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells.html
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:54 pm

What about NiCd rather than Lipo, that's probably safe and simple too.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:45 pm

crankbndr wrote:I had Bursitis in shoulder lately, can't even put on a t shirt. One shot of steroids in there and your done, that didn't work so I'm SOL.
Ken Cook wrote:              Rusty, I went through that for over a year. My shoulder pains migrate quickly down my arm if things don't go off as planned. 1/2A can pretty much break me if I'm not careful. I've almost decided to go the same route your deciding. Shawn however has been the starter lately. ken
Ken and Crank and Rusty, the CEF creaky old guys. I bet my lifetime 1/2A flip/crank ratio is at best 50/1, and that's being very generous. My stunt engine ratio is probably 5/1, thank goodness.

I have a backup plan to the electric starter but haven't tried it yet. I've been using TF wood props which seem to fly my planes the best. I bought some APC props that I can back slap. I think I can get enough force into it with my chicken stick to crank it that way without hurting myself. I rotate the prop forward until it stops, then haul off and clobber it backwards. I'd never do that to a woody. When I get to a point that I think I'm ready to fly, I'll try it at home and see. I might have to go to Huntersville with no practice at all.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:52 pm

RknRusty wrote:What about NiCd rather than Lipo, that's probably safe and simple too.
You might be able to get away with a NICD on something like a .35, I've never tried it or ever seen anybody try it. However, a NICD pack can't handle strong amp draw like even the low-end LIPO packs can. It might not be able to keep up with the amp draw from a standard starter.

And those suckers have a tendency to self-discharge. You DON'T want to show up at a competition and realize your starter battery is dead!
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:01 pm

Waffleman wrote:
RknRusty wrote:What about NiCd rather than Lipo, that's probably safe and simple too.
You might be able to get away with a NICD on something like a .35, I've never tried it or ever seen anybody try it. However, a NICD pack can't handle strong amp draw like even the low-end LIPO packs can. It might not be able to keep up with the amp draw from a standard starter.

And those suckers have a tendency to self-discharge. You DON'T want to show up at a competition and realize your starter battery is dead!
The problem with using the LiPo for a starter is there is no voltage cutoff so using LiPo might be a bad idea.
NiCd packs are cheap enough now so using 2 packs in series would be more than enough to start up to a .60 with no problems.
And you can drain a NiCd and still be able to recharge it safely.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:07 pm

sdjjadk wrote:
The problem with using the LiPo for a starter is there is no voltage cutoff so using LiPo might be a bad idea.
NiCd packs are cheap enough now so using 2 packs in series would be more than enough to start up to a .60 with no problems.

Shawn
It might work... Depends on how much compression you have.
With a LIPO, as long as you don't abuse it (EX "why won't this damn engine run, better start it again!") and don't go for a long time without charging it, you will never reach low voltage.
The guys I know (including me) go for a week or two between charges with no issues. If you charge after every flying day, you will never have any issue even after a busy day of flying.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:24 pm

Strap a 3s or 4s lipo to a battery starter and get true portable without external wires. well...velcro and short wires. I am using a mis-ordered 4000mAh 4s battery, about the size of a house brick in a protective box. I did not want to cut wires. I recommend a box or cover to protect the soft sided lipo from accident.

I wanted to use one of the extra brushless outrunners I have to make a 1/2a starter but could not figure an adapter (like that piece of hose pictured earlier). I figure some limiting resistors and a switch will make the esc function.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:16 am

getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:56 am

Hey Eric, yeah I ran across that thing last night.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 am

Hey Rusty,

I don't really know the dynamics of flying at a contest, but you might think about a regular Sullivan starter with a baby field box that's packing one of those medium-sized sealed batteries.  I can charge mine over night and be ready for several days of flying, while also having some handy stuff like glowplug wrenches and other stuff at my fingertips.

Sullivan Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Electric starter with a built on battery? Empty my electric fingers

Post  fredvon4 Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:22 pm

Have not hacked in a battery on the 1/2a one (yet) as I do not use it very much. Only on the bench for a stubborn engine then I work hard to make them one or two flip babies

The big one started as part of my RC field kit
$39 El Cheapo at Tower on a free shipping coupon and $10 off or some such thing for being a member

This is the battery holder
http://www.rchobbiesandmore.com/Century_Starter_Battery_Holder__CN2260-details.aspx
Electric starter with a built on battery? Batter10

I got two 8.4VDC  NiMH 3000mAh RC car batteries locally for $10 each and wired them in series...Yes Virginia! I am stuffing around 16Vdc to the 12Vdc starter and at the very low duty cycle these things are used, there is no apparent problem now in year three of this setup. My RC club buddies are always borrowing it out on the flight line because I seem to be only one with a on board battery setup.
It starts their big gasoline engines just fine (most have the big starters wired to their field box back in the pit area)
Electric starter with a built on battery? My_ele10

I already had one of the decent Hobby King chargers that handles just about any chemistry out there
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:00 pm

There's an Interstate Batteries store around the corner from me. I'm going to pay them a visit tomorrow and see what they have, and choose a starter online. I have a big fat Sullivan Dynatron 103, 12/24v starter given to me yesterday by one of my RC club friends, but I want a smaller one.

Thanks for all the interest and advice. I'll show y'all what I end up with when I get it. First I'm going to find out if I can crank it like I mentioned above by changing to the APC prop and back slapping it.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down