Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Is this crazy or what? Cox_ba12

Is this crazy or what? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Anzac Day!
by Oldenginerod Today at 6:07 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 5:34 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 4:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 7:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 1:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 6:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 4:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Is this crazy or what? Empty
Live on Patrol

Is this crazy or what?

Go down

Is this crazy or what? Empty Is this crazy or what?

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:35 pm

I put this together many years ago out of a crashed R/C airplane horizontal stabilizer and a throttled Enya .15. You can call it "experimental" Smile

Is this crazy or what? Nieuport-Flaps012_zpsaf537b1e

I rigged it so when I gave the model full up it would open the carburetor all the way and full down would retard it the same amount. Level flight held the throttle midway. As I recall it was a lot of fun to fly and I can't wait to try it again. Anyone ever try something similar?

Is this crazy or what? Nieuport-Flaps013_zpsf78656c1

Is this crazy or what? Nieuport-Flaps016_zps3432e5b3

Is this crazy or what? Nieuport-Flaps010_zpsb8dcd31e

Comments negative or positive are invited. My feelings arn't easily hurt... Sad Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Is this crazy or what? Empty Re: Is this crazy or what?

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:26 pm

I like the looks of it. Pretty cool the way you designed the throttle. But I have to ask why you would want full throttle for inside maneuvers but not outside ones?

If it was just a fun experimental thing then I get it. Maybe that's the crazy part! Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Pretty slick idea. Outsides would be better with power though.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:44 pm

You'd be pouring on power during the last half of an inside loop too. But if you could think up ways around those things, it becomes a great idea, maybe a substitute for a 4-2-4 break that could be used on your modern schnuerle engines. Maybe?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:02 pm

I was happy just to see this thing loop. I don't think I ever tried an outside even if it could do one. Probably fall off the lines and crash.

I always wanted to try a throttled C/L but wasn't thrilled with the idea of a three line system. Roller coasters were fun as I recall, listening to that Enya respond was sort of thrilling. Smile

The link between the two flaps is broken, I will have to remove them and fix it before trying it again. I wonder how it would fly if just the inside (throttled) flap was operational.. Huh...
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:03 pm

It might fly "fine" sorta.  Not pretty for hard maneuvers but lazy maneuvers would be fine.  Up input will roll out, and up elevator will keep the lines tight.  Down would roll inward, with down elevator keeping the lines tight.  Just fine.

What would work better is to have throttle added with any control input, and a moderate high throttle for level.  A "toggle" mechanism might do the trick.  Think taking a linkage to rotate a disc.  Take the throttle connection off the edge exactly facing (or away from) the carb linkage.  At neutral the throttle would be where it is set, and in either direction  of control deflection the throttle would be increased.  If you put an extension and dogleg on the existing linkage, and make a horn that sticks directly off the flap TE that should do it.

Wiring the throttle wide open would be easier, and probably work just as well.

Phil
(and repair the flaps)
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:01 pm

A "cam" (lobe).. type horn and either a spring or centrifugally actuated weighted linkage that wouldn't be dependent on a throttle-return spring would be "trick". W.O.T "exponentially" with either up/down control-input.. and "kicked down a notch" (adjustable by the cam profile) at neutral setting. Huh... (the wheels are turning.. Smile )

Navy Carrier has always fascinated me... but they're "scale models".. designed for a scale event... and not built for stunting. I wouldn't be surprised if modern "AMA Carrier" models incorporated "servo-driver's" of some sort, to replace the 3-line system. I'll bet that a system could be designed; limited to stranded-steel lines (for continuity) that would transmit resistance through a "finger-trigger" in the handle.. to a servo-driver unit in the model. Shocked Imagine the possibilities...

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:08 pm

Or.... Just set it uo to run a 4-2. The Enya is pretty much a wet 2 engine by nature. The throttle linkage is neat for playing around, but it would be disastrous if you want to pattern fly.

I wouldn't even consider flying with one flap, or should I say aileron Laughing
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:44 pm

You dudes want to do with IC engines what the electric stunters are already doing with inertial sensors and engine load control. I don't know their jargon for all that stuff but I think that's what it is. Igor Burger the current World Champ from Slovakia is a cutting edge pioneer on those systems. As a mechanical sidebar here, the guy makes logarithmic control linkages for his control surfaces. Brilliant man.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:59 am

RknRusty wrote:You dudes want to do with IC engines what the electric stunters are already doing with inertial sensors and engine load control. I don't know their jargon for all that stuff but I think that's what it is. Igor Burger the current World Champ from Slovakia is a cutting edge pioneer on those systems. As a mechanical sidebar here, the guy makes logarithmic control linkages for his control surfaces. Brilliant man.
Rusty

This is the simple application for electrickery control line motor control. Read and enjoy!

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/control_line_stunt_setup.html

The electrickery surrounding the motor can be applied also using height and angle sensors.

Now if ASX (artificial stabalisation) technology was applied to self trim the control line model!!!!!

(WARNING - IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY THE ADVANCES IN RC DO NOT WATCH)

However, this is quite a moving little video with the background muzac!

Move onwards and upwards with SAFE technology for assistance and getting out of trouble!

With more explanation!

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:45 am

I admire your tank installation. That wedge tank  is extremely problematic with that engine specifically if mounted hard onto the outboard doubler. Seeing that you have the tank set into the fuse allows that engine to achieve a proper run . I struggled with the 3303 for a long time due to the wedge having the pickup too far outboard. That engine is just extremely sensitive to that once the head pressure of fuel begins to reduce. The stock control line Enya venturi is considerably larger increasing the throat area of the venturi but it reduces the engine's ability to draw fuel . TO extract the power I required I needed the larger venturi as the stock control line version came with 2 of them. The engine does make a little more power in a true control line version. I tried several different tank configurations and settled on one in particular. Terrific little engines once run in. The Enya's take an incredibly long time to break in. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:42 am

RknRusty wrote:You dudes want to do with IC engines what the electric stunters are already doing with inertial sensors and engine load control.

Really, I thought it was the other way around, and they are just trying to do what IC engines have done all the time, i.e. they are trying to emulate a decent 4-2-4 break...

Back on topic, why not make the throttle increase either way from neutral elevator?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks for all of your responses.

roddie, if the wheels are turning - I expect to see something by Christmas. Smile

I refer to them as "flaps" as they operate in unison, it would be interesting flying C/L with ailerons. Smile

Ken, if I got that tank position correct, it was by accident. The old Kelly Johnson routine of "cut and try".

Those Parkzone models are neat, My son has sworn off gas and now flies electric exclusive. The advances in servo and battery miniaturization is amazing.

I posted this picture before. The servos and battery in that T-28 are tiny.

Is this crazy or what? B-25etc002_zps69a08db5

Flying that F4U inside a building was amazing.

Thanks all.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down