Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. Cox_ba12

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. Empty
Live on Patrol

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs.

Go down

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. Empty "Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs.

Post  Kim Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:33 am

So, traded a couple emails with Mark (rat9000), and had him ask me if I'd gotten around to trying pressure bladders (which I hadn't).  It's a truly crummy day here in SE Missouri, and so I broke out the kit I'd gotten a couple months ago.

After what I'm sure were standard beginner mistakes...fuel line pops off, hosing me with the volatile juice...a couple of "Super Floods" in the Tee Dee before I got the needle valve cranked down.

Once I got the combo going though, the Tee Dee walked right up to 20,000 rpm and stayed there...on 15% Sig (I was too lazy to retrieve some 35% from the house).

So now, I may give it a try on my little sheet-balsa Rivets, and send some time-warps back at Rusty!

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. 1_74

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. 1_122

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. 2_84

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. 3_68

A good morning going now, so guess I'm up to heading into Tailwinds to deal with some wild-eyed holiday shoppers !!!

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. Grinch10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. Empty Re: "Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs.

Post  roddie Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:04 am

Congrats Kim!! Thumbs Up This is something I need to do eventually.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. Empty Re: "Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs.

Post  Kim Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:09 am

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES/GOGGLES !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:11 am

Try this super-sophisticated solution I use on the short fuel nipples on my TeeDee-s. It only takes a bit larger dia silicone tube pulled over the fuel line end over the nipple, and acts like a press-sleeve.

Do not even fly without it or similar otherwise (as I sometimes experienced) you may bump into a lean run and your beautiful 1st generation very rare TD049 (with no screeen on the air intake, and thin wall cylinder) and oil hole on the bottom end of the conrod is endangered.

"Flirting With Pressure"...my first bladder runs. Fuel_n10

I add a similar silicone tube to the NV to seal it against unwanted air-ingress by-passing the NV threads. With these simple add-ons I have never had any engine failure with TD-s for some years now.

With a pressure bladder, tough you are in fact only risking the in-flight detachment of the fuel line from the nipple and an instant engine stall.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:45 am

Good Deal there (Santa) when I tried it using air pressure to stretch (train) the bladder , well pop the first then blew the second across the yard somewhere It and that valentine spinner that went in to orbit when the rod broke on an older TD Mad is probably together laughing at my crazy self Smile I have not got the routine down yet !! Eric Lighting The Tree
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:19 pm

I'd like to invest in the tiny fill-valve that Rusty uses. He fills the bladder (once trained) from the rear. This seems like a key element for simplicity.. and all of your plumbing joints forward, stay tight and clean.. because they don't get disconnected and re-connected repeatedly.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:46 pm

Use black latex tubing and the more you use it and the wetter it gets, the harder it is to remove. Plus you can easily pinch it off with your fingers. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:23 pm

roddie wrote:I'd like to invest in the tiny fill-valve that Rusty uses. He fills the bladder (once trained) from the rear. This seems like a key element for simplicity.. and all of your plumbing joints forward, stay tight and clean.. because they don't get disconnected and re-connected repeatedly.

Got a couple of those, and that's next on the list to be tested!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Ken Cook wrote:           Use black latex tubing and the more you use it and the wetter it gets, the harder it is to remove. Plus you can easily pinch it off with your fingers. Ken

Hey Ken,

Is this the tubing for the bladder itself, or another type for running it to the engine?
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:54 pm

roddie wrote:I'd like to invest in the tiny fill-valve that Rusty uses. He fills the bladder (once trained) from the rear. This seems like a key element for simplicity.. and all of your plumbing joints forward, stay tight and clean.. because they don't get disconnected and re-connected repeatedly.
Those and the matching filters are made by Fourmost, about $5 each. With the check valve you can't evacuate the line and bladder before filling, but if you use the cone shaped pickup from Texas Timers it doesn't matter because it keeps the air bubble away from the pickup for the whole run right until the end. With that little cone, you can't get the bubble out even if you try.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Well, it can be used both ways. I use it exclusively from the bladder fittings to the engine. I use the same size tubing for TD's as well as larger engines. Larry Driskill designed his Litehawk for this type of design. The tubing from the engine was the bladder.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down