Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Cox_ba12

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by getback Today at 2:32 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Empty
Live on Patrol

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015-

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Empty *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015-

Post  Admin Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:16 am

submit the next
       COX ENGINE of the MONTH!
   and have a chance to win a Black Lynx .049 Engine from Ex Model Engines!
   CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
   *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- -1210

Rules: You may post *one (1) picture of an engine or a group of engines that are alike (for example: a collection of Space Bug Jr.s that feature each color tank). The engine must be a Cox engine, it can be stock or parts built. Cox engines using aftermarket or handmade parts and multi-cylinder engines are allowed as long as they feature Cox made crankcase(s) and cylinder(s). Although proof isn't required, engines that are built using aftermarket or handmade parts have to be able to run. A good example of a non-running homemade engine that wouldn't qualify for this contest is found HERE.

* You may post multiple "pictures" as long as they are all joined together in one picture. (This is done in image editing software before uploading)

MAIN POINTS
•One picture
•Picture shall be of one engine or engines that are alike (a Babe Bee and a Tee Dee .049 together would NOT qualify)
•Must be a Cox Engine
•Engines using aftermarket or handmade parts must feature Cox made crankcase(s) and cylinder(s)
•Engine must be able to run

After 5 days, the first 10 pictures will be moved to another topic to be voted on by other members. The winner will have their engine displayed on the sidebar of the forum and forever listed on the past winners page.

Looking forward to see what you guys come up with! Good Luck!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Empty 2015 Happy New Year TD

Post  1/2A Nut Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:58 am

Small Cox Logo Miss Bridgette prefers to fly with a TD in 2015 Small Cox Logo  

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Happy-10

FireworksHappy New Year

Last edited by 1/2A Nut on Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Empty Re: *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015-

Post  balogh Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:19 am

[quote="Admin..................MAIN POINTS
•One picture
•Picture shall be of one engine or engines that are alike (a Babe Bee and a Tee Dee .049 together would NOT qualify)
•Must be a Cox Engine
•Engines using aftermarket or handmade parts must feature Cox made crankcase(s) and cylinder(s)
•Engine must be able to run

...............![/quote]

It is not about jealousy but one of the winners last year was a "barn find" engine in apparently disabled condition, so I wonder if the last qualification criteria above really applies? I have no problem if the engine is disabled but some clarity on the Main Points criterion is sought here...Thanks...the scrutinizing balogh
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Empty Thermal hoppers alive and kicking

Post  balogh Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:38 am

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Therma12
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Empty Re: *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015-

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:55 am

balogh, those are very well preserved Thermal Hoppers. Amazing how that almost 70 years later, there isn't too much improvement one can do to provide such a lightweight and powerful engine.

This is the field find that my son Joseph and his friend Brandon found in an open field in Gallup, New Mexico back in the 1990s. I cleaned it up and removed the corrosion with Mothers Aluminum Polish and mounted it to my saw horse bench with a new Cox glow head. A find nearly 20 years ago, it fired up right away. This earlier Cox Babe Bee will be mounted to a Sterling Beginner's P-47 my son never completed. I will finish it and present it to him some time future. (May be our 1-1/2 YO grandson Evan will enjoy it when he is old enough.  Smile ) He was amazed when I showed him photos of it.

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Restor10

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Revised photos as one to comply with forum rules.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:18 am

Yes, the one on the right in my picture is a brand new pre-1955 Thermal Hopper with the small-bore glow head. It also sports a light-weight conrod with the oiling hole on the crank-pin end. The cylinder shows the fine marks of honing. Touching/watching this engine gives you the feel of true devotion by COX to what they have produced...I miss that in the commodities we buy these days...

The one on the left is a pre-owned T. Hopper from cca 1958 or so...my age, so to say...still very dependable ( I mean the engine...)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:18 pm

balogh wrote:

It is not about jealousy but one of the winners last year was a "barn find" engine in apparently disabled condition, so I wonder if the last qualification criteria above really applies? I have no problem if the engine is disabled but some clarity on the Main Points criterion is sought here...Thanks...the scrutinizing balogh

Its a new year so I thought I would rework the rules just a little and make some main points about the rules. I'll accept pictures of raw "Barn Find" engines as long as they are complete and could run if cleaned up (nothing that is missing parts or clearly damaged beyond repair). That rule was basically written to keep engines that are just thrown together and partially built or failed attempts at "homemade" engines from being entered. I good example at one of those engines would be Jason's eBay Twin

You can't go off anything that was posted in past years as the rules were revised over time. I don't like telling someone that they have to change their picture, especially if it's a really nice picture but if it doesn't feature a single model of an engine, then it can't be "Cox Engine of the Month". If you don't know if a picture will qualify or not, post it anyway. If it doesn't qualify, I'll just ask you to replace it. There are many exceptions to these rules that can be made, the moderators and I will be the judge on the entries.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:28 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:......................
This is the field find that my son Joseph and his friend Brandon found in an open field in Gallup, New Mexico back in the 1990s. I cleaned it up and removed the corrosion with Mothers Aluminum Polish and mounted it to my saw horse bench with a new Cox glow head. A find nearly 20 years ago, it fired up right away. This earlier Cox Babe Bee will be mounted to a Sterling Beginner's P-47 my son never completed. I will finish it and present it to him some time future. (May be our 1-1/2 YO grandson Evan will enjoy it when he is old enough.  Smile ) He was amazed when I showed him photos of it.l]

Yes, you have beautifully restored this early Babe Bee, I was always wondering how the piston skirt exposed to dirt and corrosion when waiting for the finder for years survives and restores its smooth surface to save compression?

When I restarted my modeling hobby couple years ago I was hoping that - for fears the onlookers in the field may find me childish - my son will join me in this obsession for COX engines and R/C planes - which he did not -, and I can pretend in front of onlookers it is my son who plays with those small planes rather than his silverback father...a boy of the new generation, he indulges in computers rather than in mechanics...so I had to get used to the strange looks of people walking their dogs in the field where I fly my planes. And by today my only worry is the unleashed dogs walked in the filed, and not their masters. Who feels embarrassed about anything when having the pleasure of flying a COX plane??
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:34 pm

[quote="Admin
Its a new year so I thought I would rework the rules just a little and make some main points about the rules. I'll accept pictures of raw "Barn Find" engines as long as they are complete and could run if cleaned up (nothing that is missing parts or clearly damaged beyond repair). That rule was basically written to keep engines that are just thrown together and partially built or failed attempts at "homemade" engines from being entered. I good example at one of those engines would be Jason's eBay Twin

You can't go off anything that way posted in past years as the rules were revised over time. I don't like telling someone that they have to change their picture, especially if its really nice picture but if it doesn't feature a single model of an engine, then it can't be "Cox Engine of the Month". If you don't know if a picture will qualify or not, post it anyway. If it doesn't qualify, I'll just ask you to replace it. There are many exceptions to these rules that can be made, the moderators and I will be the judge on the entries.[/quote]

Thank Admin, I got it.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Admin wrote:You can't go off anything that was posted in past years as the rules were revised over time. I don't like telling someone that they have to change their picture, especially if it's a really nice picture but if it doesn't feature a single model of an engine, then it can't be "Cox Engine of the Month". If you don't know if a picture will qualify or not, post it anyway. If it doesn't qualify, I'll just ask you to replace it. There are many exceptions to these rules that can be made, the moderators and I will be the judge on the entries.

Not sure what you mean by posted. Do you mean previously posted as a Cox Engine of the Month candidate? Or posted anywhere else previously in this forum?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:53 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:

Not sure what you mean by posted. Do you mean previously posted as a Cox Engine of the Month candidate? Or posted anywhere else previously in this forum?

I mean past Cox Engine of the Month entries. Sorry for the confusion. You can use the past entries as an example if you're looking for good picture ideas, just some things in the rules have changed over time.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Empty Here Is Mine

Post  Marleysky Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:53 pm

Here is my Pee Wee Bee.  I liked the 327 CC   as it was similar to my Chevy 327 at the time.    Here it is...
*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- 105_0113

Last edited by Marleysky on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Project Wasp
*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Wasp_p10

Last edited by TDbandit on Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photo change to comply with rules)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:36 pm

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Img_1012
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:03 pm

Buzzy Bee. Babe Bee Even Prince George has one of these

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Golden10

Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:20 am

This is my used but well preserved early-sixties Two-Ninety pretending he's a Space Hopper Smile

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Image10
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:48 am

My Space Bug Clowning around                                         *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Space_10
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -January 2015- Empty Background of the month competition

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:01 pm

Lol this is looking more like the background of the month competition Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:31 pm

balogh wrote:Yes, you have beautifully restored this early Babe Bee, I was always wondering how the piston skirt exposed to dirt and corrosion when waiting for the finder for years survives and restores its smooth surface to save compression?

Thanks, balogh. Gallup, New Mexico gets an average of 9.5 inches (0.24 m) of rain a year. When it snows or rains, due to the dry weather, it evaporates in a day or two. Relative humidity (RH) during summer is usually less than 15%. My guess is the piston and cylinder were protected by Castor oil film, which prevented it from corroding. The drier weather prevented water from doing much damage as it had less exposure than say a place that gets a lot of moisture.

Who feels embarrassed about anything when having the pleasure of flying a COX plane??
Not I, said the spider to the fly. lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Spider and the fly: this is what instantly occured to me:

I was just wondering if the exterior of the engine showed so much corrosion/dirt etc., the fairly delicious cylinder/piston fitting of the engine was in a clear jeopardy as well.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:41 pm

Admin wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:Not sure what you mean by posted.
I mean past Cox Engine of the Month entries.
Thanks.

1/2A Nut wrote:Lol this is looking more like the background of the month competition  Small Cox Logo
It may seem that way, LOL. I gather that many here have artistic abilities and know about photo composition, depth of field, lighting, etc. Cool

balogh wrote:I was just wondering if the exterior of the engine showed so much corrosion/dirt etc., the fairly delicious cylinder/piston fitting of the engine was in a clear jeopardy as well.
Apparently not as engine had decent compression and with clean up, fired up, surprising but true. One thing I noticed though is that I had to open the needle 4 turns for it to run. I'm used to about 2-1/2 turns or so.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:52 pm

The needle valve and seat may have developed some corrosion bulging the components thus the same fuel flow is now metered with a valve open wider than before...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:00 pm

1/2A Nut and TDbandit you're going to need to choose one engine from your pictures. 1/2A Nut, you have a Medallion, Tee Dee and Tee Dee .09 R/C. They're all .09s but they're all different models. TDbandit, they're both .049s and Bee type engines but they're different models.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:08 pm

(I am sorry to have triggered this scrutiny with my question about qualification criteria...  Shocked  )
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next