Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Cox_ba12

My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by MauricioB Today at 1:53 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Empty
Live on Patrol

My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.

Go down

My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Empty My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:50 am

I had a few days over the holidays to put together something for TD's. I also made the mounts suitable for Norvel equivalents as well. The bolt pattern is the same but the case width is wider and deeper. I hope to get it in some dope today and ready for color. Nothing fancy, just a solid color. The life expectancy of these aren't typically long. However, this has durability in mind. The front end entirely comprised of 3 pieces of maple . This is possibly a Dale Kirn Torky. I replicated it from a wreck I had that wasn't up to par in terms of flying. I used most of the hardware I had, gear wire, button bellcrank, control horn. Tank will be an issue, I have something but it really is small. Generally these only need to go 10-12 laps for timing. I hope this works well .

My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Dscn2313
My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Dscn2314
My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Dscn2315
My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Dscn2316
My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Dscn2317
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Empty Re: My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.

Post  getback Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:03 am

Looking Good Ken!! I haven't seen landing gear put together with wire and solder in a long time , that's the way they used to do it with some of my older models , it is very strong , I have done a few myself . I see your going with no rudder offset , Is there any at the engine or you going left hand prop? The clear thin canopy really sets nicely Too . What event is this going to be used for ? Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.  Empty Re: My new Cox 1/2A speed plane for TD.

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:35 am

Eric, thank you for the comments. Let me explain something in terms of speed. You want the plane to be as clean as possible and you want your wing and stab incidence to be at 0 deg. No rudder offset, no engine offset or you will be doing nothing more than creating drag. My lines use no line clips just a loop onto the buttons on the bellcrank hence no drag from the clips. This plane is known as 1/2A proto. This is pretty old school but still a competitor. You need to make certain criteria which would be wingspan, open engine, no tank fairings, 2 wheel gear, has to look like a plane( rudder, stab, wing, etc) and the fuse need not exceed 1/2" and 12" in length. I have no intent of flying competitively although I've been asked. I started out a few years trying to get TD's to go as fast as possible. Not an easy task and after hundreds of frustrating attempts, I gave up. What I learned from all of this is that doing so by yourself is a real act of frustration. Tank designs are more responsible for most problems. This is where most of my tank experience was gained. I'm revisiting this due to many here that like the need for speed. I love it and I want to give it a go again. This plane has a rudder under the fuse which is a piece of clear Plexiglass. This rudder known as a sub rudder is very important to speed flyers as it adds amazing stability on take off. Flying the other direction isn't needed. Yes it works, but all it does is over complicate matters and makes you dizzy. You have to purchase a left handed crank which if you install and have a lot of TD's you forget about which engine has it inside. This becomes a real headache when that one TD keeps running in reverse. I fly some pretty high powered planes and flying the opposite direction has never been needed.
Ken

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down