Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Is This an average Medallion  Cox_ba12

Is This an average Medallion  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 9:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by F4D Phantom II Today at 9:06 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 8:50 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:59 pm

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:19 pm

» need info on this
by lla Today at 5:19 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Is This an average Medallion  Empty
Live on Patrol

Is This an average Medallion

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is This an average Medallion  Empty Is This an average Medallion

Post  TopBannana Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:17 pm

I would like to find out whether This an average Medallion or Just an old one possibly from late 70s. there are things that seem to be added are a tee dee head and a sure start needle (I'm trying to find a stock needle), the cylinder seems to be an old one. I recently bought this from eBay for 24$. I haven done much to it yet. Huh... Babe Bee .049 Is This an average Medallion  Gopr0212Is This an average Medallion  Gopr0213Is This an average Medallion  Gopr0214
TopBannana
TopBannana
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Is This an average Medallion  Empty Re: Is This an average Medallion

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:14 pm

Assuming the cylinder and crankshaft aren't different, other than the needle it looks like a run o' the mill Medallion with a Tee Dee head. I'd keep the head and saw the needle off a little shorter, especially if you bolt it to a profile.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:46 pm

Don't have a Medallion and one I had, an .09 R/C I gave to my brother while in college 30 years ago. Needle valve looks like one off a reed valve engine.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Is This an average Medallion  Empty yes it is

Post  TopBannana Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:55 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Don't have a Medallion and one I had, an .09 R/C I gave to my brother while in college 30 years ago. Needle valve looks like one off a reed valve engine.
When i got the engine the guy had a reed valve engine needle on it, so i'm still looking for the proper one
TopBannana
TopBannana
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:22 pm

Looks like an early 70's to me, judging by the step cylinder.

If the cylinder is stamped #2 then it's stock. I like to add #1 cylinders to wake them up a little.

Is it average? Yes, although it's a good little engine that I believe is easier to use than a reedie and in CL form it really does well.

The needles are not as easy to find as the TD's but can be found.

Have fun with it.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 pm

If the needle is easy to set, then no need to replace it. A Medallion is a great sport engine. Easy to crank, runs steady and strong and not too finicky about tank placement.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Is This an average Medallion  Empty I Read The Number

Post  TopBannana Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:32 pm

The number on the side of the cylinder says 4
TopBannana
TopBannana
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:56 pm

The #4 is a TD cylinder. Is the crank a TD crank or Medallion? Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Is This an average Medallion  Empty looking in the carb its round so stock prbably

Post  TopBannana Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:33 pm

it does not look to be a rectangular hole
TopBannana
TopBannana
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:12 pm

TopB, I suggest just bolt it up and run it like it is. You probably won't need to change anything.
Hope you'll get us a video of it.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:57 pm

Has anyone actually tried a product engine needle in a Medallion .049? I find myself needing a needle extension for a Medallion set-up I'm doing, and if I could just use a product engine needle it'd be great.

The Questioning Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:48 pm

batjac wrote:Has anyone actually tried a product engine needle in a Medallion .049?  I find myself needing a needle extension for a Medallion set-up I'm doing, and if I could just use a product engine needle it'd be great.  
The Questioning Mark
Never ran a product needle in a Medallion Mark, but out of curiosity, I just went
and checked the fit. The needle threads right in, and the business end of the
procuct needle is the same as the Medallion. If you need one let me know.
The too lazy to take a photo Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:10 pm

dckrsn wrote:
Never ran a product needle in a Medallion Mark, but out of curiosity, I just went
and checked the fit. The needle threads right in, and the business end of the
procuct needle is the same as the Medallion. If you need one let me know.
The too lazy to take a photo Bob

Thanks, Bob.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll dig around in the closet. I know I don't have one in my spares box on my building table, but I must have one somewhere. Thanks for looking at it for me.

The Grateful Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:22 pm

Well, it works. It’s a lot more finicky than a standard Medallion needle, but it works. I’m putting that down to the difference in profile of the product engine needle vs. the Medallion needle. The product engine needle has a smooth taper, and the Medallion needle has a stepped taper. I scavenged a needle from a product engine in another plane and ran it in my Medallion on the stand this afternoon. Using a standard glow head, 3 washers, and a Cox 5x3 prop on SIG 35%, I was getting a consistent 16.5K for the run of the tank once I got it peaked. But, less than an 1/8th of a turn either way from peak and the RPM dropped off markedly. More than the standard needle drops off. But, it was steady once peaked, so I’m happy. It’s cold and damp, so I don’t know what it would turn in better weather.

The Soggy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:10 am

I have a Medallion like that, but completely standard with a #2 stepped cylinder and a standard head. On my engine the needle valve points to the other direction, and I would like to change it so that if I mount the engine on a profile fuselage the needle would point up instead of down. So should I just pull the needle valve assembly out or press it out to the other side or what?

(Remember, I am the guy who messed up the thick wall TeeDee cylinder the other day Embarassed )

Thanks!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:27 am

KariFS wrote:I have a Medallion like that, but completely standard with a #2 stepped cylinder and a standard head. On my engine the needle valve points to the other direction, and I would like to change it so that if I mount the engine on a profile fuselage the needle would point up instead of down. So should I just pull the needle valve assembly out or press it out to the other side or what?

(Remember, I am the guy who messed up the thick wall TeeDee cylinder the other day Embarassed )

Thanks!

It's pretty simple to reverse the needle valve.  Just remove the needle and use a medium flat tip screwdriver to push off the circlip on the needle side of the valve and press the barrel out the opposite side.  Then reverse the sides, press the barrel back in ensuring the hole is facing down, and then reinstall the circlip in its groove.  Screw your needle back in and you're done.  Only takes a minute or two.  Just do not do this over carpet.  Do it over a table on a hardwood or laminate floor.  Trust me...

The Fumble-Fingered Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:38 am

batjac wrote:
KariFS wrote:I have a Medallion like that, but completely standard with a #2 stepped cylinder and a standard head. On my engine the needle valve points to the other direction, and I would like to change it so that if I mount the engine on a profile fuselage the needle would point up instead of down. So should I just pull the needle valve assembly out or press it out to the other side or what?

Thanks!

It's pretty simple to reverse the needle valve.  Just remove the needle and use a medium flat tip screwdriver to push off the circlip on the needle side of the valve and press the barrel out the opposite side.  Then reverse the sides, press the barrel back in ensuring the hole is facing down, and then reinstall the circlip in its groove.  Screw your needle back in and you're done.  Only takes a minute or two.  Just do not do this over carpet.  Do it over a table on a hardwood or laminate floor.  Trust me...

The Fumble-Fingered Mark

yea.. the "Fumble-Fingered Roddie" has learned.. along with my eyesight getting worse; the importance of taking extra care with tiny parts. I use a cookie baking sheet on my bench/table so that anything that falls/rolls won't go far. Tweezers and a small magnet are very handy to have as well. If you're unlucky enough to have a tiny metal piece fall on the carpet.. you can usually find it by "sweeping" over the area with a larger disc-magnet.

I had to use mine just the other day.

Is This an average Medallion  Magnet10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:39 am

Thank you, my fumble fingered friends lol!

I need to get one of those big magnets. I do have a 5" magnetic bowl, may try that too, although the speed of flying circlips tend to exceed the escape velocity of even the most powerful magnets Shocked

The grateful, increasingly near-sighted and constantly fumbling Kari
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:52 am

Put the engine in a clear plastic bag to remove the circlip. They are easy to lose, I have saved a few this way.

However, I have lost a few trying to put them back on (couldn't manage this in a plastic bag!)
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Is This an average Medallion  Empty Got it all poleshed up

Post  TopBannana Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:56 pm

I Figured ill try to polish the chopper engine and it came out great so i tried the medallion:
Is This an average Medallion  Img_1613
TopBannana
TopBannana
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun May 03, 2015 12:49 pm

A quick update / hijack...

Just wanted to say Thanks to Mark, Roddie, Ron and Ian. I just did a complete teardown, ultrasonic treatment, light polish and reassembly of my Medallion. I reversed the needle valve direction according to the tips and also stole a very little used #1 step-style cylinder from one of my old product engines.

Now the little bugger has very healthy compression with clean and well oiled internals, so it should be ready to run.

Thanks again guys Beer Cheers

I would post a picture (as if a Medallion would be news to anyone) but I updated the os of my iPad and for some reason cannot post pics. The browser just shuts down when I try to copy the image URL  DAMMIT!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Is This an average Medallion  Empty product engine needle

Post  Bootlegger Thu May 21, 2015 11:34 am

As a neewbe I don't know what a product engine needle is. I have an .049 medallion that I picked up at a swap meet, it runs well, and I have another one on the way to me.
I would like to find a couple of the correct venturi's , spray bar/with needles.
Any one know where I might get these?
Thanks a lot...
Bootlegger
Bootlegger

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu May 21, 2015 12:50 pm

Geez, I used to get those parts from EX Model Engines but I see they are gone. MECOA has the plastic part on eBay but no spraybar.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 21, 2015 10:20 pm

Bootlegger wrote:As a neewbe I don't know what a product engine needle is.  I have an .049 medallion that I picked up at a swap meet, it runs well, and I have another one on the way to me.
I would like to find a couple of the correct venturi's , spray bar/with needles.
 Thanks a lot...
Hi Bootlegger, glad you made it over here. Product engines are just the ones that came in the plastic Cox RTF planes, or more recently the Surestart model engines that can still be purchased from Cox International and EX Model Engines. Some have fine thread NVs that are snapped up by those of us who like to run bladders, others are regular wider threaded, but they all interchange in various backplates, because the length and diameter are the same.

These pictures came from Texastimers.com. Though these are 128tpi fine thread, they all look like this and are interchangeable for suction fed engines.:
Is This an average Medallion  Retrofit%20NVA%20w%20dim

Here's one in a Medallion venturi, though it doesn't have the Hex built onto it as I mentioned in your thread on Stunthangar, but that's a minor inconvenience.:
Is This an average Medallion  Retrofit_medallion

Here's a venturi(or carb body) without an NV:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COX-ENGINE-049-Medallion-VENTURI-original-Red-nylon-/271091300895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1e4cfa1f

Welcome to CEF.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Is This an average Medallion  Empty Does that hole have to be up or down inside

Post  TopBannana Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:56 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Bootlegger wrote:As a neewbe I don't know what a product engine needle is.  I have an .049 medallion that I picked up at a swap meet, it runs well, and I have another one on the way to me.
 Thanks a lot...
Hi Bootlegger, glad you made it over here. Product engines are just the ones that came in the plastic Cox RTF planes, or more recently the Surestart model engines that can still be purchased from Cox International and EX Model Engines. Some have fine thread NVs that are snapped up by those of us who like to run bladders, others are regular wider threaded, but they all interchange in various backplates, because the length and diameter are the same.

These pictures came from Texastimers.com. Though these are 128tpi fine thread, they all look like this and are interchangeable for suction fed engines.:
Is This an average Medallion  Retrofit%20NVA%20w%20dim

Here's one in a Medallion venturi, though it doesn't have the Hex built onto it as I mentioned in your thread on Stunthangar, but that's a minor inconvenience.:
Is This an average Medallion  Retrofit_medallion

Here's a venturi(or carb body) without an NV:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/COX-ENGINE-049-Medallion-VENTURI-original-Red-nylon-/271091300895?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1e4cfa1f

Welcome to CEF.
Rusty
TopBannana
TopBannana
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next