Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Not to knock our favorite engine, but.... - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Not to knock our favorite engine, but.... - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Not to knock our favorite engine, but.... - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Not to knock our favorite engine, but....

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Not to knock our favorite engine, but.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Not to knock our favorite engine, but....

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:43 pm

We are about 4 hours south of Pittsburg. Not yet, but I would like to visit his shop.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Not to knock our favorite engine, but.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Not to knock our favorite engine, but....

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:46 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Inventories, you gotta love them. Your's sent me scurrying to my meager Wen Mac stash to see just what I have. Turns out to be: 4 Mark I's?, 6 MkII's, 3 MkIII's, and a couple of AMF's.
Love the wide 3 bladed prop on your WenMac:

Not to knock our favorite engine, but.... - Page 2 Wenmac10

I used to have a couple of those, one of my fav's. Shamrock
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:28 pm

I used to have a video of my buddy Dave and his Wen Mac Dauntless we flew after changing the prop to a Cox fiberglass 6x4 and Cox red can Racing Fuel. The NIB 049 Mk IV grunted out some nice torque and flew that big old NIB (just out of the box) Dive Bomber just fine. It was a lot of fun to fly it for it's first times it had ever flown, and how it handled was interesting (we flew it on .008 35 foot lines with wire leadouts) with it's interesting elevator hinging system. We thought it would do round-the-pole just fine it was so stable.

I think the main problem with Wen Mac RTF's power to weight vs flight were the versions with the triangular bladed props don't seem to generate much thrust and bog the engine.

The Day Fighter I have had the elliptical planform 2-bladed 6 inch with a very thin section and it allowed many a happy flight when I was a grade schooler. Even better with the Cox racing props and Tornado props.

I usually had Cox Racing Fuel as a kid because i flew 1/2A Proto and that's what dad bought for me, so the old Wen Mac design does respond well to nitro, just like my OK Cub.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:44 pm

As I posted in my other thread, I was happily surprised how my old Testors .049's did with a Cox 5x3. They start easier than Shh my reedies, but they're front rotary engines rather than reed, so not a fair comparison. At 17.7 and 18.6K, I'm willing to experiment further. But they'll never replace my Cox engines as my go-to powerplant.

But, last night I threw a couple of old, seized pipe bomb engines in some fuel to soak for a couple of days. I'm still trying to figure out a good mounting strategy for these pipe bombs. So far, I'm thinking about carving a hardwood block down to encapsulate the engines, although it'd be pretty heavy. Another alternative is to bed the engine like I would bed a rifle action in a stock using J-B Weld. Or, just take the engine to Home Depot and find a piece of PVC pipe that has an inner diameter the same as the pipe bomb case, and using a heat gun and some hand tools, make a mount. We'll see.

The Led Astray Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:23 am

batjac wrote:As I posted in my other thread, I was happily surprised how my old Testors .049's did with a Cox 5x3.  They start easier than Shh my reedies, but they're front rotary engines rather than reed, so not a fair comparison.  At 17.7 and 18.6K, I'm willing to experiment further. But they'll never replace my Cox engines as my go-to powerplant.

But, last night I threw a couple of old, seized pipe bomb engines in some fuel to soak for a couple of days.  I'm still trying to figure out a good mounting strategy for these pipe bombs.  So far, I'm thinking about carving a hardwood block down to encapsulate the engines, although it'd be pretty heavy.  Another alternative is to bed the engine like I would bed a rifle action in a stock using J-B Weld.  Or, just take the engine to Home Depot and find a piece of PVC pipe that has an inner diameter the same as the pipe bomb case, and using a heat gun and some hand tools, make a mount.  We'll see.

The Led Astray Mark

Let us know how you figure that out. I have puzzled about a mounting system ever since I found one. Now I have two with three bladed props that I would like to mount on another scratch build P-38.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:51 am

It's been a while, but as far as I remember, these Testors McCoy/Wen Mac engines with glow head were decent running engines and reasonable powerful as sport engines, at least as good as a Babe Bee if not better. Like anything, when propped right they do justice, but that is a universal truth with any engine and properly mated to the right airframe with the right fuel.
An airplane is really happy when the engine is happy. St.Pats Beers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2