Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit Cox_ba12

Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit Empty
Live on Patrol

Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit

Go down

Thinking Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit

Post  getback Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:16 am

I was thinking of another plane to build and was ordering some more parts from Cox International , wondering before I commit if anyone has any experience with this model as far as flying and the build if possible. Just wanting to do some stunt / sport fling . Thanks in Advance , Eric   http://coxengines.ca/brodak-f4f-wildcat-cl-kit.html
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:01 am

Eric,

If I was to buy a Brodak 1/2A kit the best flying would probably be the Pathfinder, Baby Lightening Streak, Baby Flite Streak, Baby Clown or the Stork.

The Wildcat build would be pretty straight forward. Expect flight characteristics to be similar to the Baby Ringmaster.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:08 pm

The Hellcat is beam mount. One could also go with a Gilbert .11 Thunderhead. lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:36 pm

There you go George... selling that Gilbert again. Very Happy just kidding of course!

How much does a Gilbert .11 weigh?

Just curious as I can't find any weight info on it and I lost my model engine weights link.
That Hellcat was probably designed around a TD or Medallion which I assume would weigh considerably less.

If you put the Gilbert on the nose it would more than likely require you to add excessive tail weight or cause you to modify the fuse nose or wing location to compensate.

I have only seen one Gilbert on an airplane and that was Kim with his dual Gilbert powered airbus. I have never seen one on a CL and wonder about their suitability in a CL. I wish someone would build and fly something Gilbert powered. Seems to be a lot of talk and not much action!  Wink
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:There you go George... selling that Gilbert again. Very Happy just kidding of course! How much does a Gilbert .11 weigh? Just curious as I can't find any weight info on it and I lost my model engine weights link.
Checked it just now with a fish scale. Weight is 3.7 oz w/o muffler. With is 4 oz. With wood 7x4 prop is 4.3 oz. It is basically in the .09 - .10 weight class.

That Hellcat was probably designed around a TD or Medallion which I assume would weigh considerably less. If you put the Gilbert on the nose it would more than likely require you to add excessive tail weight or cause you to modify the fuse nose or wing location to compensate.
Yes, one would shorten the nose a bit. The original F4F-3 had a short nose to contain the heavier 2 stage supercharged Pratt & Whitney XR1830-76 Twin Wasp putting out 1,200 HP, so shortening wouldn't make it look out of place.

I have only seen one Gilbert on an airplane and that was Kim with his dual Gilbert powered airbus. I have never seen one on a CL and wonder about their suitability in a CL. I wish someone would build and fly something Gilbert powered. Seems to be a lot of talk and not much action!  Wink
Much has been talk w/o action, because I've had a lot going on the past 2 years. So, it is not that I'd empty boast, just that desire has preceeded production because of that. Since I have an inventory of these engines would give them a shot in the future, it's just my time table has slid out. drunken
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:19 pm

I don't know what the BR flys like, So I take it no one has built or flown this plane ? Smile  A wasp may be a good candidate for it // or medallion power as I like because they are easy to start and fuel draw is good with a tank. Very Happy  Eric Rusty say something Shocked

Last edited by getback on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rusty say something :shock:)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:23 pm

O yea I was wanting to get it through Cox Int. and they don't offer the other planes Ron had mentioned.
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:45 pm

How's the wing-jig coming? You could save some coin by just sourcing some balsa.. and scratch-building from a plan. Maybe a profile-fuse and constant-chord non-flapped wing design would be a good first try for the jig?

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:35 pm

getback wrote:I don't know what the BR flys like, So I take it no one has built or flown this plane ? Smile  A wasp may be a good candidate for it // or medallion power as I like because they are easy to start and fuel draw is good with a tank. Very Happy  Eric  Rusty say something Shocked

Eric,
I had a baby ringmaster with a tee dee, lots of fun but overpowered. It would probably benefit from a medallion.

Here's the baby clown Ron mentioned:

http://coxengines.ca/brodak-baby-clown-cl-kit.html

I've had two of these and they are OUTSTANDING flyers! If it were me I would get the baby clown and make the profile look like whatever you want.

Here's mine:
Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit BMdtbJ0

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 pm

A healthy no-boost twin bypass baby bee is enough power for a baby ringmaster.  It is a small airplane.

A little more power however is desirable, and a modern bee should fill that. A black widow might be a bit too much. maybe...no, but getting close.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:13 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:There you go George... selling that Gilbert again. Very Happy just kidding of course! How much does a Gilbert .11 weigh? Just curious as I can't find any weight info on it and I lost my model engine weights link.
Checked it just now with a fish scale. Weight is 3.7 oz w/o muffler. With is 4 oz. With wood 7x4 prop is 4.3 oz. It is basically in the .09 - .10 weight class.

That Hellcat was probably designed around a TD or Medallion which I assume would weigh considerably less. If you put the Gilbert on the nose it would more than likely require you to add excessive tail weight or cause you to modify the fuse nose or wing location to compensate.
Yes, one would shorten the nose a bit. The original F4F-3 had a short nose to contain the heavier 2 stage supercharged Pratt & Whitney XR1830-76 Twin Wasp putting out 1,200 HP, so shortening wouldn't make it look out of place.

Much has been talk w/o action, because I've had a lot going on the past 2 years. So, it is not that I'd empty boast, just that desire has preceeded production because of that. Since I have an inventory of these engines would give them a shot in the future, it's just my time table has slid out. drunken

George,

That wasn't a poke at you personally. Many folks on here have Gilbert engines and I've only seen one actually used for it's intended purpose.

I really would like to see one in action on a CL plane, that's all I was saying.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:19 am

Ok I think what I will do is --- Thank You Jim , I have the Baby Clown on the building board now , the baby ring almost finished , that X8-A is warped out of its mind after doping it Sad  and the Akromaster waiting , a speed plane to build also some others that need attention SO I think that's enough for now and will pass for now on another kit . Yes Roddie the wing jig is pretty much ready and I have balsa and plans , I do want to try it out soon after going to the trouble to make it . Seems like winter was shorter this year as far as getting any planes built . Garden time coming up mowing , tree trimming and all the other good stuff that comes with spring/summer >>> any way here's a pic of the jig   Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit Wing_j10
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:24 am

Cribbs74 wrote:George, That wasn't a poke at you personally. Many folks on here have Gilbert engines and I've only seen one actually used for it's intended purpose. I really would like to see one in action on a CL plane, that's all I was saying.
Ron, I don't know about the others, but personally I've been kicking around what airframe to put a Gilbert in, which would do it justice. I think somewhere along the way, someone will surprise you.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:18 am

getback wrote:Yes Roddie the wing jig is pretty much ready and I have balsa and plans , I do want to try it out soon after going to the trouble to make it . Seems like winter was shorter this year as far as getting any planes built . Garden time coming up mowing , tree trimming and all the other good stuff that comes with spring/summer >>> any way here's a pic of the jig   Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit Wing_j10

What do you have on-hand for L/E stock? Any 3/8"?? You could start laying-out a rib-stack and drill your rod-holes. I have two stacks-of-8 blanks pinned together with 1/4" hardwood dowels ready to be cut on a scroll-saw. The 8"L. blanks were cut from 1/8" sheet balsa x 1.5" wide. I'm going to try thin-CA'ing the stacks at the corners, which will aid in holding them squarely together during the scroll-cutting.  

Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit Rib-st10

Include the L/E profile when you transfer the rib-profile to your top sheet on the stack. After cutting the rough rib-profile (stay outside the line) block-sand your finish rib-profile around the stack afterward (checking with a square) and then you can cut your spar-notches in, using one of those nifty; pre-gaged for depth sanding-sticks. Square-off the stacks' L/E (slightly longer) using a razor-saw.. and block-sand back (squarely) to finish length/thickness to match-up with your L/E-stock. You may want root-ribs sanded smaller, to allow for sheeting. Mark rib-stations on your spars and L/E-T/E stock and you can start building!!  Flying

The way I look at it.. you have to sand the ribs that come with kits anyway. BTW.. the "laser-cutting" process by nature; doesn't produce a perpendicular edge. It varies depending on the density of the material. On wing-ribs.. this can show-up when your apply your covering, by it not adhering totally across the ribs width.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Cool good to see it coming along I think I have 3/8-1/2 LE and TE and sheeting for ribs but.. right now the Baby Clown is on the table was has been   Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit Wp_20110  I tried something in the copier/ scanner and ck. out how real this looks    Brodak F4F Wildcat CL Kit Wp_20111  well I got to go uptown and finish a job now they have the parts DAMMIT!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down