Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Cox_ba12

Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» audio-tach anyone?
by balogh Today at 7:04 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Empty
Live on Patrol

Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer

Go down

Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Empty Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer

Post  getback Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:53 am

I wanted one of these for some reason unknown searched around a long time to fine the plans , got them from a chap over at outer zone . Was looking at them this morning again after 2 yrs. The parts listed don't show the RIBS for cut out ? Then the more I looked noticed this is a clock wise flyer Shocked  What the heck was Jim thinking ? Guess that's why it is the Guillows  Trixter  heres some pics . can you build it backwards to fly counter clock wise ?  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Wp_20112  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Wp_20113  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Wp_20114  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Wp_20115 Well crap sorry they came out upside down Surprised
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Empty Re: Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer

Post  Marleysky Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:25 am

getback wrote:I wanted one of these for some reason unknown searched around a long time to fine the plans , got them from a chap over at outer zone . Was looking at them this morning again after 2 yrs. The parts listed don't show the RIBS for cut out ? Then the more I looked noticed this is a clock wise flyer Shocked  What the heck was Jim thinking ? Guess that's why it is the Guillows  Trixter  heres some pics . can you build it backwards to fly counter clock wise ?  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Wp_20112  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Wp_20113  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Wp_20114  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Wp_20115  Well crap sorry they came out upside down Surprised

No problem, just fly it inverted. Just like the pictures RC Plane
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:24 pm

Back in the olden days, clockwise was a more popular direction. One of the fliers here in his 80's still flies CW.

The Spring Chicken Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:38 pm

Just run the leadouts down the other wing.

You may have to flip the bellcrank and rod around, but it would be really simple.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:42 pm

One of my forum mentors after I started ramping up my hobby, the late Jim Thomerson, who designed and built sophisticated full fuse pattern planes from 1/2A up to 40 size, didn't realize he'd built one backwards until it was way too late to change. The controls were sealed up inside, so he decided to learn to fly backwards. He said he could fly a decent pattern, but never without having to consciously force it.

Jim passed away a couple of months ago. I noticed his forum participation on SH had slowed, and most of my early contact with him was at RCG before I found CEF. But his last post of advice and help to someone was within a couple of days of the end.

Just passing along another sad memory.
R. Buzz Killington

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:58 pm

The parts listed don't show the RIBS for cut out /// This is one of my main concerns I Guess ii should have said that but , was in a hurry . The only profile of the wing rib is in that first pic could I use that you think ? Look were the wing goes through the fuse . Huh...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:10 pm

getback wrote: The parts listed don't show the RIBS for cut out /// This is one of my main concerns I Guess ii should have said that but , was in a hurry . The only profile of the wing rib is in that first pic could I use that you think ? Look were the wing goes through the fuse . Huh...

The wing looks constant-chord to me.. and I don't see any sheeting near the root, so I'd say that the ribs can all be the same size. I think you'll want to make 11 pairs. It looks like the root-pair are doubled (for the fuse-sides to bear-on maybe?) Does it state on the plans, the stock thickness? Probably 1/16" or 3/32".. Do you have a drill-press and a balsa stripper? You'd probably get all your ribs from x5 strips of 3/4"W x 36"L. stock. Measure the thickest part of the airfoil and the O/A rib-length.. and cut 22 rectangular blanks; 1/8" to 3/16" larger/longer. Make 2 stacks of 11.. and mark 2 points on the centerline.. approx. where the lead-out holes should be. Drill straight through using a 1/4" dia. Forstner bit and cut 1/4" hardwood dowel-pegs to pin the stacks together and transfer your rib-template for cutting the profile. Cut the stacks on a scroll-saw.. keeping slightly outside your reference-line. Sand to finish-profile. You can open up the inboard lead-out holes with a 3/16" hardwood dowel wrapped w/sandpaper.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:35 pm

The wing's T/E lightening-holes seem overkill to me.. but if you have a "set" of Forstner-drill bits, you could make them on the drill-press, using a backing block under the balsa stock. Again; curious as to the stock thickness.. I'm guessing 1/16" balsa sheet throughout the wing's construction.. less spar. The spars look to be 1/8" or 3/16" square stock.

I really like this little model.. because it uses big-boy construction-techniques. Not too common in 1/2A. Looks like a tedious build.. silent but it's also something that will hone your fine-motor skills. Laughing Many people don't like working with small fragile parts.. and this model has quite a few. It doesn't surprise me that Guillows kitted it.

Half the battle to building "any" built-up model is having the tools ready to do the job at hand. Slots for the spars can be cut into the rib-stacks after you sand-in the profile.. You've read recently about those nifty slot-depth gaged T-sanding blocks that you can make. How about the RCM wing-jig that you made? Are you planning to use it on this wing? The 1/4" rods would be perfect if you make the rib-stacks the way I mentioned in my previous post. You could use smaller diameter rods Eric. 3/16" or even 1/8" would work for a thin airfoil. The important thing is that the rods are straight and accurate standard diameter. The hardwood dowel-pegs for pinning the rib-stack for cutting, should also be measured for accurate diameter. They should fit snugly.

These suggestions are just the way I'd do it. The RCM jig aligns the ribs perfectly.. and I think it would work really well for this wing-construction.. although I'd like to see the full plan/instruction sheet. Can you capture a high-res photo of it?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:50 am

Roddie , here are some better pics   Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Barnst10  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Barnst11  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Barnst12  Jim Walker , Baby Barnstormer  Barnst13  man that took a while I forgot what the question was now lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:59 pm

good looking plans! could bee another laser project Huh...
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:06 am

If you want I will get the plans copied and send them to you to smoke over Shocked But you would have to change it to counter clockwise lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:18 am

getback wrote:If you want I will get the plans copied and send them to you to smoke over Shocked But you would have to change it to counter clockwise lol!

Don't forget.. Most rotary-valve engines are CCW rotation. Most Control-line models are set-up (designed) with the controls on the left wing. I have come to wonder why.. and I assume it's a more natural way to fly, for a right-handed person. However.. the engine wants to roll the model to the left.. which is counter-productive to maintaining line-tension.

It would be difficult to learn flying a CW rotation pattern.. after years of flying CCW.. but it might be worth trying and I think that you should build this airplane to spec. You may be pleasantly surprised by the way it performs.. or you could get instantly dizzy and start vomiting after you realize you've made a terrible mistake.. and are now committed to flying out a tankful of fuel. Laughing All kidding aside.. I think you're up for the challenge. If you build it for conventional CCW flight.. and it falls short of your expectations; you'll always wonder if you should have built it as designed.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:53 am

lol! that would be a site to see puking and flying ... it amazes me to watch left hand people fly , could run the engine the other way with Bernie's boiling before you runum  props I have a few of them free for the taking w/order , just ask . It could bee a good way to unwind after flying CCW , does make you wonder though, but I would want to try it on a less hard to build model first (slab wing) Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:25 am

getback wrote:lol! that would be a site to see puking and flying ... it amazes me to watch left hand people fly , could run the engine the other way with Bernie's boiling before you runum  props I have a few of them free for the taking w/order , just ask . It could bee a good way to unwind after flying CCW , does make you wonder though, but I would want to try it on a less hard to build model first (slab wing) Cool

i'm left handed Sad

i could not imagine turning the other way... or flying with my right hand

rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:29 am

What was the reference to Jim Walker in the first post?
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:33 am

GWILLIEFOX I was just wondering why it was a clock wise flyer . I didn't know this when I was looking for the plans , Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down