Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OS 28F Run Cox_ba12

OS 28F Run Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 10:38 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OS 28F Run Empty
Live on Patrol

OS 28F Run

Go down

OS 28F Run Empty OS 28F Run

Post  TDbandit Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:36 pm

Found a couple of OS 28's that I forgot that i had and decided to clean one up and run it. I'm thinking about putting this one maybe in my super clown ARF not sure since it has a good bit of power and lugs a 10x5 prop at over 13k. This run is it's first start in over 20 years and still has the original plug. These engines were originally bought new for my old Cessna 310 project which didn't last through it's second flight due to an engine failure on takeoff this happened around 1989 hope you all enjoy Smile (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

OS 28F Run Empty Re: OS 28F Run

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:00 pm

I love the way they crank as if they'd only been run yesterday. Good to see it get hot and oily again. Did that pink spinner used to be red? Looks like a Great Planes aluminum backed spinner, my favorite.
Rusty

EDIT: Btw, I've never heard of an OS 28.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:43 am

Pretty neat Bandit. Sounds great. I have a Super Tiger and Evolution .46 and an OS .40 4-stroke I'd love to see run again. Thanks for the inspiration!
Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  halfpilot Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:51 pm

As a relative newbie to the oily side (see my user name) - I have got to ask about the way you just started this engine apparently by flicking the spinner in the opposite direction to normal rotation. Is that a technique I can learn?

I have a magnum pro 25 which is an exact, and some might venture to say better made, copy of the OS 25F. I believe the design engineer was the same for the matching OS and the magnum. Same occured with the FP series which was mirrored by the original magnum GP series I believe. My pro 25 hasn't seen fuel yet but I intend to put it on a mini classic pattern model - perhaps an MK Curare.
halfpilot
halfpilot
Formerly known as:
ThermalSniffer

Formerly known as:ThermalSniffer

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:12 pm

ThermalSniffer wrote:As a relative newbie to the oily side (see my user name) - I have got to ask about the way you just started this engine apparently by flicking the spinner in the opposite direction to normal rotation. Is that a technique I can learn?

I have a magnum pro 25 which is an exact, and some might venture to say better made, copy of the OS 25F. I believe the design engineer was the same for the matching OS and the magnum. Same occured with the FP series which was mirrored by the original magnum GP series I believe. My pro 25 hasn't seen fuel yet but I intend to put it on a mini classic pattern model - perhaps an MK Curare.

That technique is not very different from snapping your fingers. I'm not good at it, but it does work. I need to practice it for a 3 blade prop on my Fox 35, but I put the spinner on to be able to use a starter if I have to.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:07 pm

If you get to know your engine really well, you can fire it on the first bump. I was pitting for Dave Wenzel, a long time judge, flying in his first Beginner contest up at Triple Tree recently. To my surprise, he started his LA46 in one bump after waving at the judges. Derek Barry wrote a good post about how to do it on Stunthangar. It helps if you have a RO Jett or the likes too. Lol But it can be done with most good running engines.

Since my arm injury last summer, I backwards prop-flip the engines that I can still crank by hand, 25 and 35s. With the little Tee Dees, I rock the prop forward all the way to compression and slap it backwards. That gives it a 180 deg. free running start and it fires up easily when it hits compression on the other side. I'm scared of busting a prop doing that on the bigger engines, so I just force them backwards through compression .
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:44 pm

ThermalSniffer wrote:...I have a magnum pro 25 which is an exact, and some might venture to say better made, copy of the OS 25F. I believe the design engineer was the same for the matching OS and the magnum. Same occured with the FP series which was mirrored by the original magnum GP series I believe. My pro 25 hasn't seen fuel yet but I intend to put it on a mini classic pattern model - perhaps an MK Curare.
I wonder if my Thunder Tiger Pro 25 is akin to something along that line, but a BB version. It's a badass powerful engine and I tried to use it for stunt when it wou'd've better served as a speed limit Combat engine or a racing engine. I've never gotten a good answer if there's an OS that it's directly related to. It was made in Taiwan.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:04 pm

RknRusty wrote:I love the way they crank as if they'd only been run yesterday. Good to see it get hot and oily again. Did that pink spinner used to be red? Looks like a Great Planes aluminum backed spinner, my favorite.
Rusty

The OS .28 is the A version of the older and better known OS .28F-H which is a helicopter engine besides the head the A version is identical to the heli engine and is pretty strong the only problem is other than the bearings and the wrist pin the engine doesn't share many parts with the .25. The airplane .28F ia not very common. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:29 pm

I learned the technique hand starting fourstrokes, fourstrokes are nasty biters when hand starting and are best started using the bump technique . it takes practice but as rusty stated you can achieve first bump starts once you get it down one thing to note it works best with engines with good compression. My fox .35 starts easily using the bump method.
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:55 am

RknRusty wrote:I love the way they crank as if they'd only been run yesterday. Good to see it get hot and oily again. Did that pink spinner used to be red? Looks like a Great Planes aluminum backed spinner, my favorite.
Rusty

Hi man sorry it took a while, yup the spinner used to be red but was from an old pilot kit I had long ago it is similar though wonder if great planes got the design from them *shrugs* (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  planesbyken Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:49 pm

What is the difference between an F and an FSR?
KEN
planesbyken
planesbyken

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:32 pm

planesbyken wrote:What is the difference between an F and an FSR?
KEN
Hi ken welcome to the forum!
To be honest I don't think there is much of a difference between the FSR and the F. FSR stands for *Front intake Side exhaust* the *R* I haven't figured out yet. The .25F I know has an aluminum piston and is ABN if I'm not mistaken. The 28F has a lapped iron piston, all run very well and are easy to needle if the proper fuel is used. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum