Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Baby Lightning Streak Cox_ba12

Baby Lightning Streak Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Baby Lightning Streak Empty
Live on Patrol

Baby Lightning Streak

Go down

Baby Lightning Streak Empty Baby Lightning Streak

Post  coxaddict Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Got a Baby Lightning Streak kit by Brodak in the mail today.  Is it similar to the Baby Flight Streak by Top Flight?
I see that the wingspan is 26 1/4" versus 24 1/2" for the Baby Flight Streak .  I plan on building one with beam mounts for a TD .049 with a medallion carb body and regular glow plug to tame it down a little. I want to cover the wing with Doculam or something similar that is 1.5 mils thick.
Is there anything that I should take into consideration with this build?  Can the landing gear be left off?
Thanks in advance

Agustin Jr. aka Coxaddict
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Baby Lightning Streak Empty Re: Baby Lightning Streak

Post  RknRusty Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi, Agustin. Yes the two are similar. I'm looking at both Brodak Streaks right now, and both say 26-1/4" wingspan. Topflite must be different. The Brodak Flite Streak fuselage is 17-1/2", which is 2" longer, so that would make it a little better if you wanted to fly precision. But the LS might have more of a tear-up-the-sky fun factor. The shorter fuselage of the LS should turn a little snappier than the FS(that's hard to imagine). Your plan sounds good, and yeah, leaving off the LG is fine too. These are two of the best 1/2A planes ever flown, in my opinion.

Either of these should be most competent for 1/2A on 40-42' lines in the wind you must have every day in Hawaii. A 5.5x3 or 5.25x3 prop should seal the deal. If you're inexperienced, a 6x3 might be a good tame starter prop. That'll keep the engine under it's power band until you get comfortable.
Rusty

EDIT: The first place you're going to break it is at the fuse right near the stab, When that happens, reinforce the repair with epoxy and fiberglass that ties the underside of the stab to the fuse. It won't break there again. In fact they are extremely durable after you get past that. Re-check the CG, and if it needs weight after that inevitable repair add nose weight as necessary. I usually use 7g square weights right between the beams if necessary. I've been known to fill the cavity of the engine backplate with lead too.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Thanks Rusty.
I enjoy reading your posts and remembering you talking about your BFS. When this kit became available I bid and won it on ebay, largely based on your posts on CEF.  Built a couple of Baby Ringmasters using an original kit as templates. (Will do the same with the FS kit.)  The wingspan was increased to 26" in attempt to slow the plane down.  Unfortunately I used carbon fiber arrow shafts as "spar busters" as I built them before I became a CEF member. They have never been flown for fear of them exploding on impact with earth.  Hopefully I can gain more flying experience with the LS.  
Currently our natural air conditioning starts blowing around 7am in the 10 to 15 mph all day. Hopefully we can get some flying time in the evening.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:05 am

coxaddict wrote:Thanks Rusty.
I enjoy reading your posts and remembering you talking about your BFS. When this kit became available I bid and won it on ebay, largely based on your posts on CEF.  Built a couple of Baby Ringmasters using an original kit as templates. (Will do the same with the FS kit.)  The wingspan was increased to 26" in attempt to slow the plane down.  Unfortunately I used carbon fiber arrow shafts as "spar busters" as I built them before I became a CEF member. They have never been flown for fear of them exploding on impact with earth.  Hopefully I can gain more flying experience with the LS.  
Currently our natural air conditioning starts blowing around 7am in the 10 to 15 mph all day. Hopefully we can get some flying time in the evening.
Well, thanks, Agustin. It makes me feel good to know I've had some influence in members' interest in Control Line fun. Being a wind flyer, I think it's best to not try to build it super light, it needs inertia to cut through the wind, and you have plenty of power up front to pull it.

Unless you have nearby trees or buildings to induce swirls, I expect your wind is pretty steady. You can use it to your advantage if you pick your reference points for doing wingovers and loops. The wingover should be your first stunt. Realize that it's just a big loop with a flat bottom, so you can practice pulling out early and you'll be flying real loops rather than just yanking and hoping. Before long, you'll prefer a nice steady blow. 10's manageable for a steady wind, 15 is getting up there. But it can be done.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:45 am

I personally prefer the Baby Lightning Streak over the Flite Streak. It's far easier to build due to the solid leading edge which also strengthens that part of the wing . In addition, it has less ribs making repairs even easier. I have a small Perfect tank on mine which was a bit tough to squeeze in due to no room between the plastic mount and leading edge. I took the front off of the tank and trimmed the body of the tank a little and soldered the end cap back on. A perfect match for a good running Sure Start. I have a Black Widow on mine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:26 am

All this talk about Baby flight streaks is making me want to fly / build one not in that order but, had to look up Doculam film and I have some of this stuff then seen a right up that is some what interesting you may want to read http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63445 ther are some others https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=doculam+covering ,, I have not used this kind of film but the price is right Smoking I have got to find a better place for getting Balsa the Hobby Lobby has pretty cheap warp - able assortments no LE stuff though or profile wing material.
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Baby Lightning Streak Empty Doculam film

Post  coxaddict Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:03 pm

Thanks for the links to the posts, Getback.  That's a wealth of information that shares a lot of ideas and experiences, very helpful for me and others.  I have a wing for a lil' satan built but not covered. I think I'll try painting the doculam from the inside before covering. I won't be flying that plane anytime soon as I know I'll
get dizzy quickly!
As for the balsa leading edges I  use Rusty's idea and modify the wing ribs to accept square stock, sanding the leading edge profile blending into the ribs. The Lil' satan has the same construction technique, very simple.

Mahalo
Agustin Jr.
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down