Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Son's First Flight - Flight Report - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Son's First Flight - Flight Report - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by getback Today at 12:19 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:29 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by rdw777 Today at 9:55 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 9:49 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 9:39 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:32 am

» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:54 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Son's First Flight - Flight Report - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Son's First Flight - Flight Report

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Son's First Flight - Flight Report - Page 2 Empty Re: Son's First Flight - Flight Report

Post  AUjack2003 Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:49 am

Yea mabe I could too Greg it would be fun as we really just do R/C
AUjack2003
AUjack2003
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Son's First Flight - Flight Report - Page 2 Empty Re: Son's First Flight - Flight Report

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:06 am

Greg & Jack, from my experience with the Blackhawk Li'l Bat, (I think Rusty has one as well) they are pretty hard to handle for a beginner (like me).  Being so short, they are designed to be really manouverable for combat.  I think something more stable would be good to learn on, like maybe the Raven Greg was buying.  Once you get the idea, I'd suggest that you minimise the control throw on the Bats.  Put the pushrod in the outer hole on the elevator control horn and in the inner hole of the bellcrank.  Once you get confident with it you can move the rod to increase control throw.  Then you two can have a rip-roaring time doing combat together.  Have a look at this page.
http://dawnpatrol.org/combat-plank.htm

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:48 am

Good to see your family out flying and having some fun !! Babe Bee Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:30 am

Yeah that would be FANTASTIC if I could get my father flying with my boy. And yes Bandit I did just finish my Skyray I just have to work out some dang engine troubles I'm having with 2 engines.

Nicholas actually just asked me after the last flying trip if he could build another plane! I sure don't want to stifle his enthusiasm or skills but I say we learn to fly what we have, loop, etc. then we let him build and fly a built-up wing and let him go crazy learning his stunting skills. I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks! Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:39 am

Cribbs74 wrote:
The Wiz will loop, but not well. It needs to be taken almost overhead to do it. If the boy wants to loop a new plane is probably in order.

The other option is to take some of the nose off.

Ron, by saying taken almost overhead are you meaning it would be a giant loop but started at normal altitude or would you be starting really high and basically looping overhead, or something else?  I'd like to understand.

The nose blocks are touching the LE as we did shorten the nose 3/4" and that was after whacking off the beam mount nose too.  The plane weighs 6.2 oz with engine, dry.  My deweybird weighs 8oz but has a lot more wing area.  Not sure how 6 oz is relatively and if that would allow for some tail weight.

I'm not set on having the Wiz loop, it would be fun if I could get it to then teach Nicholas how but we have other planes that will, once I learn how first.

Greg
Here's the nose of his Wizard:
Son's First Flight - Flight Report - Page 2 Img_9813
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:41 pm

Sig Skyray wrote:Yeah that would be FANTASTIC if I could get my father flying with my boy.  And yes Bandit I did just finish my Skyray I just have to work out some dang engine troubles I'm having with 2 engines.

Nicholas actually just asked me after the last flying trip if he could build another plane!  I sure don't want to stifle his enthusiasm or skills but I say we learn to fly what we have, loop, etc. then we let him build and fly a built-up wing and let him go crazy learning his stunting skills.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Thanks!  Greg
What sort of engine problems are ya having?
Also another thing while on engines, when you do get the Ray going make sure the engine you choose has the screen over the venturi. If it don't have the scree and since it doesn't have a landing gear the engine is very susceptible to picking up debris through the venturi and sticking the reed open. I learned this right quick with the EX Red Arrow .049 (equivalent to a hot BW) that powers mine which doesn't come with a venturi screen and picks up dirt after every landing and gets in the reed requiring me to pull it apart to clean it. I'm trying to come up with an Air Filter design to help with this problem in fact which will sandwich between the firewall and backplate with the filter located at the bottom intake side. Hope this helps. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:09 pm

TDbandit wrote:
What sort of engine problems are ya having?
Also another thing while on engines, when you do get the Ray going make sure the engine you choose has the screen over the venturi. If it don't have the scree and since it doesn't have a landing gear the engine is very susceptible to picking up debris through the venturi and sticking the reed open. I learned this right quick with the EX Red Arrow .049 (equivalent to a hot BW) that powers mine which doesn't come with a venturi screen and picks up dirt after every landing and gets in the reed requiring me to pull it apart to clean it. I'm trying to come up with an Air Filter design to help with this problem in fact which will sandwich between the firewall and backplate with the filter located at the bottom intake side. Hope this helps. (Bandit)

I missed your post Bandit! I solved the engine issue. Apparently I was sucking air at the tank-to-backplate seal so wrapped that with teflon tape on the outside like I saw in a Gibeault article. Runs good now... was hard to start and ran inconsistently.

Great point on the venturi screen because when she lands she always has sand on the nose. I wonder if a small piece of lawnmower-type filter foam over the air opening at the firewall at the edge of the backplate would restrict air too much. Worth a shot.
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:10 pm

Greg where is your balance point at the wing tips , I find that 3/4" back from LE is a good usually for 1/2a , less will start getting squirrely , that's where the fun begins but too much is unflyable  , I start my trainer loops (outside) at about 6' if your not sure here are some patterns just for fun copy save print  Son's First Flight - Flight Report - Page 2 Cl_aer11
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:36 am

That's perfect Eric! Thanks for the stunt guide.
The CG on the wizard is about an inch back and on the Skyray 3/4". The Skyray flies very smoothly but is very responsive to input too. Nicholas urged me to go for my first loop last weekend and I went for it. Felt great!! Actually did 3 (not consecutive) and on the 3rd collided with the earth somehow. No damage.

Next... have to figure out the sequence to getting Nicholas doing loops... not with his wizard but I think with the deweybird.
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:53 pm

I just came across this post.Thanks what a great post.He is a natural.Great job. Clapping Thumbs Up
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:48 am

yea I don't know what happen to them haven't heard in a while , hope all is Ok and there still flying and having fun . getback Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Great job Nick, keep up the great flying.
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2