Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My First K&B - Ever...... Cox_ba12

My First K&B - Ever...... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» audio-tach anyone?
by balogh Today at 7:04 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My First K&B - Ever...... Empty
Live on Patrol

My First K&B - Ever......

Go down

My First K&B - Ever...... Empty My First K&B - Ever......

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:22 pm

I love those "Buy it Now, Make Offer ebay sales. Seller asking $25, I offered $20 for those keeping track.

Green head Torpedo .35 with some nicks but great compression and sorta clean. It looks really well made, The head casting is cleaner than Fox or McCoys and it is cleanly stamped 35 on the back of the head. It also has a number 40514 which must be a casting number???? It looks like the piston baffle is located on the exhaust port side, different than most engine of this style. It also has a hole in the connecting rod for crank pin lubrication.

I only gave it a soft tooth brush/Simple Green cleanup as I would like to run it and keep it original. Chellie has a video on youtube of one she overhauled.

If anyone has any experience with these please fill in the blanks. MECOA sells parts but I could not see anything on these 50's Green Heads.

My First K&B - Ever...... Kb_tor10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My First K&B - Ever...... Empty Re: My First K&B - Ever......

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:50 pm

Bob, they were good in there day. Similar to Red head Mccoy's with a bit more power. Like the Mccoy red heads, 3 bolts hold on the cylinder. I've seen the screws fail and the jug pop off. I can't recall the green head, but I know the Stallion .35 (later version) had a polished end on the wrist pin. Once it cuts into the cylinder it's pretty much game over. I don't remember if the green heads had that or brass end pads. Either way I would keep the castor content high. As you mentioned, the exhaust is on the opposite side. This is great on a profile when it blows directly into your face. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:03 pm

I don't think that the piston baffle should be towards the exhaust side. It should be assembled in the typical way towards the transfer port, with the head fitted accordingly. I only have a .15 Green Head so unless anyone knows for sure, I could dig that out & have a look.
Many engines have been condemned & sold off cheaply because the owner has made this simple mistake & could never get the engine to run well.
Rod
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Wow nice find on the Greenhead! and while we're on the subject of K&B's, I've got a question for Ken, I've just recently acquired a
K&B .35 myself, I think it may be a series 71 .35, it has the separate front housing and crankcase similar to the older K&B .40RC's and is bushed and has the bright case. In fact it looks like a shiny .40RC but has a dedicated CL front housing with removable insert for the venturi. I'll have a pic up this evening to help..
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Very correct that the baffle should be opposing the exhaust cutout. My reference was the fact that the exhaust is on the opposing side. As for the shiny case .35's we have a member in the club with a few of them. Some of the Greenheads can be really hot. I've seen some of the .29's run real strong. The series 71 are timed a bit higher and run faster than we would like, but they're a lot of fun on a Ringmaster or the likes of one. They're heavier but they do come with a lot of power. I found the Sporster series to be the lesser powered of all the K&B's I had experience with. They're good for torque and they will swing a fairly larger than normal prop. Ken

Last edited by Ken Cook on Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Rod is exactly right, the baffle on the piston should always be opposite the exhaust closest to the transfer port. correct me if I'm wrong but the baffle is there to direct the charge up towards the top of the cylinder and to keep it from being transferred directly out the exhaust. (Bandit)

OOPS ken beat me to it sorry..
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:50 pm

It's difficult to see in this picture but the baffel is in fact on the exhaust side.  I thought it strange when I first saw it, looks like the piston has a roof on it I thought, then I looked closer.  I guess I will have to pull the head and take a look.  Maybe the 35 stamp on the head should point towards the front instead of the rear.  Or maybe my eyes are deceiving me.

And yes, adjusting that NV while the hot exhaust is coming at you can be painful. Maybe I will swap it.

It's hard for me to be objective when examining a new engine, I think they are all great.  Smile  But this K&B is nicely done.  I have found instructions and a parts list (reprint) on ebay and made a bid.  Seller should make something like that BIN.

My First K&B - Ever...... Kb_tor11
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Hi jacking my own thread..... Just won this. $14.99

I thought I had seen all the McCoys, I research them most every day, but this one is new on me. Love the filler, reminds me of my old Model A Ford.

My First K&B - Ever...... Mc_29_11

My First K&B - Ever...... Mc_29_12
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:00 pm

It must be the season for K & B's. I just received this NIB Torpedo 40 complete with paperwork that I got locally for the opening bid of NZ$130 plus $5.20 shipping, about US$88.00. I guess no one else wanted it so I'm smiling like the cat that got the cream.

My First K&B - Ever...... K__b_t10

My First K&B - Ever...... K__b_t11
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:41 pm

Nice Bob Good price and I like the filler cap also something about that flip action / Is the vent in the cap ? Davenz13 that's one mean looking Torpedo 40 nice catch Fishing Guys , ithink I have a green head Torpedo 19 upstairs but I just an't climbing those stairs to night Very Happy Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:03 pm

That green head 35 is correct as is with exhaust out the L/H side. They came out in 1953. I had one in a F/F Playboy Snr. and being right handed on launch the exhaust blew into my face.

They are more powerful than a Fox 35, as that's what I have had in a couple of F/F Playboy Snr's. since the '80s.

I took the Fox out of my Playboy a while back and installed the green head, added 30 grams of weight to the tail to keep the C/G where it was as the green head is heavier.

It was so much more powerful the Playboy was all over the ski in the 15 seconds we are allowed for our F/F Vintage here.......Was nothing gained, so the Fox is back in it, weight out of the tail, and will be flown in a month at our next Vintage F/F meet.

That 40 as pictured, I have one of those also in an Open Power F/F model..........Very strong engine for an old one.........They came out about 1970.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:10 am

Well I might as well add a pic of my new arrival and add to the confusion lol. This engine is also dykes ring equipped.
(Bandit)
My First K&B - Ever...... Kb_ser10
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:01 am

Bandit, the engine is also fairly loud. It has quite a harsh crackle to it. My friend Larry has one on a Ringmaster with a tongue muffler. Neat engine however. The Dykes ring can be problematic if it hasn't been run in a while.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:59 pm

getback wrote:Nice Bob Good price and I like the filler cap also something about that flip action / Is the vent in the cap ?   Davenz13 that's one mean looking Torpedo 40 nice catch Fishing Guys , ithink I have a green head Torpedo 19 upstairs but I just an't climbing those stairs to night Very Happy Eric  

I just got it today Eric. I can't see where the tank is vented, maybe the area where the vent cap spring is located does the job.

It is a neat old engine that has never been run and it won't be either as long as I have it. Right to collector corner it goes. Seller knew how to ship it, needle valve out. The stand is quite unique, solid aluminum and perfectly balanced. $14.99, my best ebay buy ever.

My First K&B - Ever...... Mccoy_14

My First K&B - Ever...... Mccoy_15

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum