Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» need info on this
by lla Today at 10:30 am

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:26 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 6:23 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Empty Re: Line Connectors and Lead-Outs

Post  getback Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Yea I know as soon as I get another order up I am going to get some of the good clips , but I have been using them for a while and not had a failure yet (knock on wood ) I talk to Rog about 2 week ago and he has been very busy and still wanting to get out and fly some more I think I am going to pull some planes off the wall today and start them//may be get in the field tomorrow kindy Hottt today ...... Where is the best place to get the clip ends for 1/2a at anyway since were on the subject ??
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:11 am

getback wrote:Yea I know as soon as I get another order up I am going to get some of the good clips , but I have been using them for a while and not had a failure yet (knock on wood ) I talk to Rog about 2 week ago and he has been very busy and still wanting to get out and fly some more I think I am going to pull some planes off the wall today and start them//may be get in the field tomorrow kindy Hottt today ...... Where is the best place to get the clip ends for 1/2a at anyway since were on the subject ??

I've had my stock of clips for years.. so I couldn't tell you where to find them. I'd start with Brodak though.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:03 pm

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:50 am

Tagged it Thanks Ken , good prices if you don't mine buying in bulk witch I don't . wish they had pics. but that's ok I think I can figure it out when the time comes . Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:56 am

Eric, the knots taught to Scouts have the characteristics of...easy to tie, easy to untie, and does the job. The easy to untie part makes them not good for leadouts. I have been teaching scouts those knots for 34 years (so far).

Most use the Palomar knot on leaouts. There are many drawings and videos on the Palomar knot. Easy to learn...good luck.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:04 am

getback wrote:Tagged it Thanks Ken , good prices if you don't mine buying in bulk witch I don't . wish they had pics. but that's ok I think I can figure it out when the time comes . Eric

I'm wondering how small a clip can be made with the tool that Rusty posted a pic of. Is there a demo-vid on it somewhere? One of Windy U.'s maybe?

My smallest "Luxon" clips are made from larger diameter wire than I would have thought.

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Dsc02814

Here's a package that I bought from a vendor at the 92 Nat's in Springfield, MA.

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Dsc02815

Who knows.. maybe they're still in business..

Here's some knot photos that might help.

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Uni1ne10
Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Uni2ne10
Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Uni3ne10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:29 am

gcb wrote:Eric, the knots taught to Scouts have the characteristics of...easy to tie, easy to untie, and does the job. The easy to untie part makes them not good for leadouts. I have been teaching scouts those knots for 34 years (so far).

Most use the Palomar knot on leaouts. There are many drawings and videos on the Palomar knot. Easy to learn...good luck.

George
 Well that's a lot better than the uni-knot I have        been tieing , I found this  , Thanks George I can work with that should put the mark dead on when finished . Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:56 am

RknRusty wrote:Roddie, it's not unusual for 1/2A builders to stagger leadouts, and it doesn't appear to induce any flyability issues. It's a good idea for keeping them from hooking each other. I personally don't do it because I have never had a snagging problem with proper clips. I like the Luxon type. I hate the squeeze type on the right because I have trouble hooking them up to lines with thimbles. I like the bent steel type that work like the squeeze clips but are shaped more like paper clips.
Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33736
They can be made with a simple bending tool. This one is for 1/16" length adjustments that the expert stunters use with the hard point handles. Easy to make out of a .75"-16tpi bolt
Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Line_c10
Unless Rusty will tell us I guess if you want one that bad you will have to make it Smile I cant find it any were other than images and if you visit the page it bring you back here lol! Eric Fishing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:48 am

getback wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Roddie, it's not unusual for 1/2A builders to stagger leadouts, and it doesn't appear to induce any flyability issues. It's a good idea for keeping them from hooking each other. I personally don't do it because I have never had a snagging problem with proper clips. I like the Luxon type. I hate the squeeze type on the right because I have trouble hooking them up to lines with thimbles. I like the bent steel type that work like the squeeze clips but are shaped more like paper clips.
Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Index.php?action=dlattach;topic=33736
They can be made with a simple bending tool. This one is for 1/16" length adjustments that the expert stunters use with the hard point handles. Easy to make out of a .75"-16tpi bolt
Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Line_c10
 Unless Rusty will tell us I guess if you want one that bad you will have to make it Smile  I cant find it any were other than images and if you visit the page it bring you back here lol!  Eric Fishing

Lee Machine Shop. There's a link to his email here:

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,6425.0.html

I bought mine from Jim Lee at the last VSC. I haven't used it yet but I have a bunch of clips a friend of mine bent up on his.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:41 am

Oh, sorry, I left out that part. Jim Lee makes and sells all sorts of cool tools.
I've seen the clip bender work. If I recall correctly, you lay the steel wire across the two posts on the bolt ends, slip the bending bar onto one of them and pull the wire around to shape it. I'd have to fiddle with it to get it. But to make clips in 1/16" increments, one turn of the 16 tpi bolt = you guessed it, 1/16".
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:04 am

RknRusty wrote:Oh, sorry, I left out that part. Jim Lee makes and sells all sorts of cool tools.
I've seen the clip bender work. If I recall correctly, you lay the steel wire across the two posts on the bolt ends, slip the bending bar onto one of them and pull the wire around to shape it. I'd have to fiddle with it to get it. But to make clips in 1/16" increments, one turn of the 16 tpi bolt = you guessed it, 1/16".
Rusty

So I guess you could make small clips by turning-in the nut to the length required? Can multiple size wire be used? I'm thinking there must be a hole to receive an "L-bend" to keep the wire from slipping? Sorry for the questions.. Rolling Eyes A friend of mine at the machine shop could make one for me.. to use a smaller wire size. I'd definitely like to try it.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:12 am

WOW Nice but pricy !! I am like roddie would like to try it but would have to make my own /// I can buy a lot of clips for that price and don't use the hard tail handle ( not saying it s not worth it but not to me ) am sure it is of good quality . Thanks Guys . Eric This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:26 pm

Next time I'm at Wayne's, I'll get some detail pictures. Or in H'ville next month if Jim is there.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  faif2d Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:42 pm

The Bear model products is gone. Owner was Bob Bearden and he has left us for the circle up in the sky. In the last year of his life he sent me some nice stuff and would not let me pay him. I said that after he was gone I would pay his wife. He threatened to come back and haunt me if I did that. I sent her some money and told her the story and hoped that he would actually haunt me but alas he never showed up. Real nice man that left us too soon!
faif2d
faif2d
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks for bringing that to our attention faif2d , Its always a shame to hear a fellow modeler leave us , its a good thing we have new / young blood getting into the hobby Small Cox Logo gatback RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Empty solid-wire lead-outs

Post  roddie Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:11 pm

faif2d wrote:The Bear model products is gone.  Owner was Bob Bearden and he has left us for the circle up in the sky.  In the last year of his life he sent me some nice stuff and would not let me pay him.  I said that after he was gone I would pay his wife.  He threatened to come back and haunt me if I did that.  I sent her some money and told her the story and hoped that he would actually haunt me but alas he never showed up.  Real nice man that left us too soon!

I wanted to bump this thread.. especially after reading this post. R.I.P. Mr. Bearden.

This afternoon I decided to make-up some .015" solid-wire lead-outs for a Sig 1/2A nylon bell-crank to be installed in a little flying wing powered by a Cox .049 product-engine..

I bought this tube of K & S .015" wire many years ago.. knowing that I would use some of it to make solid lead-outs for small airplanes.

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 New_le10

This requires having the wire, good-quality needle-nose pliers and a little patience.. (be careful with your eyes.. safety-glasses prevent accidents..) ALSO.. be mindful of any exposed electrical-outlets nearby.. or you could inadvertently do some welding..  Shocked (a tip from CEF member Phil-Pkrankow)

My Sig 1/2A Nylon bell-crank came molded with the bearing and elevator-horn parts attached.. needing to be trimmed-off. A #11 blade/handle makes short-work of that.

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Dsc04533
Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Dsc04534
Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Dsc04535

Start your first 90-degree bend about 1" (25mm) from the end of the wire.. and make the 2nd bend with the "tip" of your pliers.. to form a tight "U"-bend..

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Dsc04536

... then thread the wire through your bell-crank's lead-out-hole. Again.. using the nose of your pliers as a "spacer" between the bellcrank.. grab the short wire and hold it with the pliers. Using your "fingers".. bend the short wire 90 degrees to form a "box".. and wrap the wire two or three time around. (I'm sorry for the lack of photos showing this..) You want the "boxed-section" to have a non-binding clearance for the bell-crank arms when they move to their extreme positions.

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Dsc04537

The below photo shows a piece of very small brass tubing that can help to wind the wire tightly against itself for a nice tight coil.. and is easier on the fingers.

Line Connectors and Lead-Outs - Page 2 Dsc04538

If you don't get it quite right the 1st few times.. the .015" wire can be easily snipped-off with standard wire-cutters for giving it another try.

"Solids" are old-school cool Cool .. you just have to be careful not let them get "bent" in storage/transit.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2