Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site! Cox_ba12

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site! Empty
Live on Patrol

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site!

Go down

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site! Empty [solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site!

Post  Fire Flyer Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Hello, I just have just bought a new cox black widow from my local hobby shop and am wondering if I can still get that cox 885 deluxe starting kit or that 405 basic starting kit. I went to www.estesrockets.com like it said on the package but I cant find any cox items when I search for them. When I was buying the engine, I asked the shop keep what I would need to run it and he said I will want to order one of those kits pictured on the back of the package. I cant seem to find those kits anywhere, if anyone knows where I can get one or if I can use something else to get it started then please tell me! I always wanted one of these extra small engines since I was a kid back in '75 but my parents would never let me have one because they were always "too dangerous". From all the times I've been in that hobby shop buying HO train stuff and electric ARFs, I have never noticed that little engine sitting in that glass case before although I have never really looked. -Garry Emmet

PS: The "150 Black Widow .049" that I have looks exactly like my avatar that I chose from the avatar gallery!

Last edited by Fire Flyer on Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fire Flyer
Fire Flyer
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site! Empty Starting that 049

Post  Buster Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:58 am

Since 2005, Cox hasn't been making any engines or engine accessories. In 2009 Cox/Estes sold all their Cox inventory to several parties, one of which is http://coxengines.ca. Currently Cox International doesn't have any starting kits but they have a few items that you'll need. Below is a list of the things you will need.

•Cox Glow Plug Clip http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=311&cat=10&page=1
•1.5 volt hobby battery, most hobby shops have these, they look like 6 volt lantern batteries (DON'T USE A 6V BATTERY, YOU'LL BURN OUT THE ELEMENT IN THE GLOW PLUG)
•A 6x3 Prop, this is what I use on my .049 engines and they work good! http://coxengines.ca/product.php?productid=85&cat=9&page=2
•1/2A Glow Fuel (15-30% nitro, more then 20% Castor oil) It is getting hard to find so if your hobby shop doesn't have it, then look for a fuel with at least 20% Castor oil. if you still cant find any with that percentage of Castor oil and you don't mind ordering it off the internet, then you can get it here http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEPD2&P=0
•Since your engine is new, I'm guessing it has a manual, read the manual for instructions on how to start it.

Hope this helps - Buster
Buster
Buster
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site! Empty Started .049

Post  Fire Flyer Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:57 am

Thanks for the info! I just started it earlier and it ran great! Family Leisure Hobbies our local hobby shop had all the stuff I needed all along. When I asked the kid that was at the RC service counter if he had any Cox glow plug clips, he said I could use this "Sullivan Glow Plug Klip". The glow plug clip doesn't look anything like the Cox one but it worked. The kid also said I could substitute 1/2A fuel with this stuff called Wildcat 2&4 Cycle fuel, it has 15% nitro and 18% oil. The engine loved that fuel! The only thing I didn't need help with is the prop which is a Master Airscrew 6x3 prop! That engine ran great! I'm going to mount it on my tethered electric (soon to be gas) prop-rod that used to use the old batteries that would not hold a charge much anymore. That thing would go around in circles for about 30 mins before the battery would drain.

Tthanks for the info!
Fire Flyer
Fire Flyer
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site! Empty Fuel your using has synthetic oil not Castor oil!

Post  Buster Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:02 am

I know that the fuel you are using is 18% synthetic oil, you really want to be using Castor oil! I know that because I use that fuel in my OS max 4 stroke .40! The synthetic oil doesn't stay in the ball and socket joint in the piston like Castor oil does! Your engine will run with that fuel but it will wear out faster making the piston gain more and more play between the con-rod and piston! You should go back up to that hobby shop and read every fuel to make sure it has at least 20% Castor oil! The nitro content really isn't a problem because I have used from 0% up to 50% nitro in those Cox engines, I really wouldn't go above 35% nitro as the engine could overheat! Make sure you are looking in the airplane fuel section! The car fuels seem to have a lower oil content and less Castor oil! You can mix straight Castor oil with some high nitro car fuel to get a real nice fuel, but since your a beginner with the glow engines, I would just get some regular fuel. Try some SIG 5% nitro fuel, it is usually a pink color and contains a safe mix of synthetic oil and Castor oil. I have used SIG fuel for years and it is some good stuff!
Buster
Buster
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site! Empty Fuel

Post  Fire Flyer Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:49 am

Shit! Really? I have been running that engine all day on that damn fuel! That kid at the RC counter told me it is not much different then 1/2A fuel! I paid $30 for that fuel! I'll go get some of the Sig fuel that you suggest! Thanks for catching my (or the hobby shops) mistake! Smile
Fire Flyer
Fire Flyer
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

[solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site! Empty Re: [solved]Is cox still in business? I cant find anything on their site!

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down