Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year! Cox_ba12

Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 1:30 am

» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by layback209 Yesterday at 11:48 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:48 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year! Empty
Live on Patrol

Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year! Empty Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year!

Post  Admin Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:46 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2011/12/16/congress-kills-light-bulb-ban-sort-of/

This is good news to me since I don't like the light output of the CFLs and LEDs, plus from my own experiences, they can be a fire hazard.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year! Empty Re: Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year!

Post  microflitedude Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:47 pm

My brother is overjoyed. He bought about 50 bulbs last week to save and use.

lol!
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year! Empty Re: Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year!

Post  nitroairplane Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Still worth stocking up though.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:25 pm

The light bulbs still keep popping on over there heads and they don't want to run out of the ability to have a idea.

,,,and since the last lightbulb factory in the US closed down last year, sadly. Now we are importing light.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:31 pm

HANG ON TO THE BULBS THAT YOU STOCKED!!! I have been reading several stories and comments from other sites that say that it will allow the sale of what 100 watt bulbs is left in the warehouses. After they are completely gone from warehouses, there will be no more to restock on the shelves.

I will still hang onto all the bulbs I have stocked up. If I need a new bulb and I can still buy it in a store, I will just go get one from the store.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:44 pm

PV Pilot wrote:The light bulbs still keep popping on over there heads and they don't want to run out of the ability to have a idea.

,,,and since the last lightbulb factory in the US closed down last year, sadly. Now we are importing light.

Sylvanias's were made in the US. (or at least that is what they claim) Did they close up that long ago?
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:49 pm

microflitedude wrote:My brother is overjoyed. He bought about 50 bulbs last week to save and use.

lol!

Must be a trend, I stocked up on ammo too and for same reason. "Lock and Load"!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:02 pm

SuperDave wrote:
microflitedude wrote:My brother is overjoyed. He bought about 50 bulbs last week to save and use.

lol!

Must be a trend, I stocked up on ammo too and for same reason. "Lock and Load"!

And I suppose you could say the same thing about Cox items.... Small Cox Logo
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Bout time to open up my ebay light bulb store.

1 100 watt soft white
Starting bid,,$35
BIN,, $80.

Lord help us.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:59 pm

PV Pilot wrote:Bout time to open up my ebay light bulb store.

1 100 watt soft white
Starting bid,,$35
BIN,, $80.

Lord help us.

LOL, people are actually doing that already...
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Admin wrote:
PV Pilot wrote:Bout time to open up my ebay light bulb store.

1 100 watt soft white
Starting bid,,$35
BIN,, $80.

Lord help us.

LOL, people are actually doing that already...

dangit!!
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:31 am

Go listen to Garage Logic with Joe Soucheray, he talks about the light bulbs and so on.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Stock up while you can Gents they're illegal
To sell in Europe now.
It won't be long before our Chinese friends
Stop making them.
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:01 pm

John Goddard wrote:Stock up while you can Gents they're illegal
To sell in Europe now.
It won't be long before our Chinese friends
Stop making them.

My cousin who lives here in America bought somewhere around 50 bayonet base 240 volt 100 watt bulbs online before they were banned in the UK. I asked exactly what he was going to do with them since we use the Edison "screw" base 120 volt bulbs and he said "to sell on eBay 10 years from now". I then had an argument with him saying that you probably couldn't have them imported if they are banned. Just a month ago, he put some on eBay and he received several messages saying that he wouldn't be able to ship them back into the UK as they are banned, only ones already there can be resold. So right now he is angry!!! As far as I know, he hasn't been doing anything with them. I do know he using one in a old railroad socket (its a double contact bayonet socket, bulb fit it but it is only rated for 32 volts DC) and he used a travel transformer to step it up to 240 volts. He used it for awhile until he figured out that the entire setup was pulling more then 100 watts.
lol!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:34 pm

How can a elecrical device "pull" watts"? More likely you mean "pull amps" (amperage) Smile Two entirely different electrical measurements. Smile
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:11 pm

SuperDave wrote:How can a elecrical device "pull" watts"? More likely you mean "pull amps" (amperage) Smile Two entirely different electrical measurements. Smile

My bad, watching a movie at the same time as typing half of the replies on here. I know "pull watts" should be "use watts" I could have said pulled more amps as if I can remember correctly, it was around 140 watts when his bulb was on so that would be 1.16 amps instead of the .08 amps drawn by an average 100 watt bulb on 120 volts. He doesn't have an average travel converter that plugs straight into the outlet, It has a frequency converter (converts 50hz to 60 hz) including an inverter that will convert 12-16-32-93-110 volts DC to 120 volts AC. It will lower the voltage from 240 to 120 or raise 120 to 240. Its about the size of a shoebox and I believe it cost him $500 or something like that, it has to weigh at least 30 pounds. I really didn't get to play with it as I'm not always over there but when I am, I usually don't have time to.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:46 pm

My cousin who lives here in America bought somewhere around 50 bayonet base 240 volt 100 watt bulbs online before they were banned in the UK. I asked exactly what he was going to do with them since we use the Edison "screw" base 120 volt bulbs and he said "to sell on eBay 10 years from now". I then had an argument with him saying that you probably couldn't have them imported if they are banned. Just a month agoP, he put some on eBay and he received several messages saying that he wouldn't be able to ship them back into the UK as they are banned, only ones already there can be resold. So right now he is angry!!! As far as I know, he hasn't been doing anything with them. I do know he using one in a old railroad socket (its a double contact bayonet socket, bulb fit it but it is only rated for 32 volts DC) and he used a travel transformer to step it up to 240 volts. He used it for awhile until he figured out that the entire setup was pulling more then 100 watts.

Get Cuz to email me I'd be interested in taking them
Best
John
lol!

[/quote]
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:53 pm

John Goddard wrote:
Admin wrote:

My cousin who lives here in America bought somewhere around 50 bayonet base 240 volt 100 watt bulbs online before they were banned in the UK. I asked exactly what he was going to do with them since we use the Edison "screw" base 120 volt bulbs and he said "to sell on eBay 10 years from now". I then had an argument with him saying that you probably couldn't have them imported if they are banned. Just a month ago, he put some on eBay and he received several messages saying that he wouldn't be able to ship them back into the UK as they are banned, only ones already there can be resold. So right now he is angry!!! As far as I know, he hasn't been doing anything with them. I do know he using one in a old railroad socket (its a double contact bayonet socket, bulb fit it but it is only rated for 32 volts DC) and he used a travel transformer to step it up to 240 volts. He used it for awhile until he figured out that the entire setup was pulling more then 100 watts.
lol!

Get Cuz to email me I'd be interested in taking them
Best
John
lol!

I'll contact him and see what he says, wouldn't customs stop that from going through though?
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:12 pm

I can only tell you that I ditched our 1.6L toilets and brought in slightly larger ones from British Columbia and had no problems doing so.

1.6L toilets very often require second flush, slightly larger ones don't. Go figure which consumes more water over time?

Huh... Huh... Huh...

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:08 pm

Dave that was so left field, for a second I was transported to "I'd like to complain" "You want to complain, have you seen these shoes"?
Very Happy

John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Alright I talked to my cousin Allen and he said:

what up, I still have 46 of them left. I can't get my sony camera to sync with the computer (hint) for some reason so I can't take a picture but everyone knows what a light bulb looks like anyway. They are all in their own little boxes, each box says "MAXIM", "100 WATT", "PEARL", "BAYONET CAP". I'll bring them with me when I come down for Christmas. I originally ordered 50 but a friend wanted 1 of them for some unknown reason, a guy from work wanted 1 for his concession stand (I guess it works with his generator), you have one and I have to keep one since I built a stupid setup to light it. I ordered them to sell them once they were no longer available but when I listed them on ebay, I got messages telling me that I may not be able to send them back across the boarder since they are not to be imported, so I don't know if I would be able to send them to your friend. Right now they are downstairs with my pile of other (regular 110 volt 100s, 75s, 60s, 40s...) hoarded bulbs. I know I can sell them to whoever doesn't have a ban on them and that sounds like...no one! We and the other 3rd world nations don't have active bans on incandescent bulbs. I think that just goes to show what we are actually on the right track, the reason the 3rd world nations don't have the bans are because they cant afford to enforce something like that nor can the people afford those high price CFL bastards. We don't have the ban mostly because people bitched about the quality and the fact the the government can't tell us what kind of bulbs to buy. I do believe that these old style bulbs will one day be unavailable so I'm hanging onto my stash of them. These UK bulbs have no real use to me since I really don't want to connect the phases like you said and my voltage step-up box with a 240 volt 100 watt draws more current then a regular 110 volt 100 watt bulb does so really I would just be wasting energy for the same light. If I can't sell them overseas, I can always sell them to this guy from work since he has some concession stand that he uses at county fairs, I remember him saying that all his fryers and stuff is 220 volts so by using that bulb, he won't need to set up his extra wiring to the generator for a light inside as he could just tap from one of the fryer plugs. Whatever, I'll bring you about 20 of them to do whatever you want with them, risk shipping them back to the UK, pop a breaker plugging one straight in, whatever. Talk to you later. Allen

So I guess he is bringing 20 of them with him so I'll let you know once I get them. I'll give it a try with one of them (would rather loose one then all of them at once), I suppose all that could really happen is customs either sending it back to me or confiscating it.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year! Empty read the link??

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:50 pm

That link, in the second paragraph, congress passed a bill with a provision that prevents the govt. from spending money to enforce the ban.................this is a great idea, need more of these bills passed that STOPS the govt. from wasting OUR money!! lol!
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Light Bulb Ban Suspended For Another Year! Empty chinese lightbulbs......

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:55 pm

And i can hear that phone call about the chinese light bulb`s warranty now playing in my head........" hewwo hewwo, yes suh you awe hawing tubble wit youw bwand new wite bubs no wowk........that too bad,hav ni day lol!
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:18 am

Jaspur_x wrote:And i can hear that phone call about the chinese light bulb`s warranty now playing in my head........" hewwo hewwo, yes suh you awe hawing tubble wit youw bwand new wite bubs no wowk........that too bad,hav ni day lol!

Nice one Jared
Kim Jong Il from Team America World Police.
I'm so wonely etc Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:29 am

John Goddard wrote:Dave that was so left field, for a second I was transported to "I'd like to complain" "You want to complain, have you seen these shoes"?
Very Happy

For those who unlike Dave are not students of Monty Python
Utube,- argument sketch
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next