Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Newest Addition Cox_ba12

My Newest Addition Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Newest Addition Empty
Live on Patrol

My Newest Addition

Go down

Thinking My Newest Addition

Post  NEW222 Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Just thought I would share a picture of my newest acquisition in a trade. It is an OS FP .10. I do not know the age of it. It came complete minus the carburetor mounting screws. I just took this picture after cleaning it up after the crock pot. I removed the carburetor, backplate, and glowplug then put it in my crock pot for about 2 hours on low. It was all that was required to give it a decent cleaning as I am not wanting a show piece, but rather a runner. I had been wanting one of these for a long time and finally had the opportunity to get it. The only other I want is a .15, so will keep looking for one cheap as well. Anyways, after removing from the pot I dried off well, then sparingly put a drop of 3-in-1 on the crank pin, outer edge of crankshaft, exhaust port, glowplug hole, and front bearing/bushing. It was under 1 drop per each location. I will hopefully run this engine later this week, but realistically next weekend as I cannot get to my LHS till later in the week for a prop, hopefully muffler bolts (2.6 x 24 mm) if they have any, and spare plug. It came with a glowplug that has an idle bar, and I will purchase a new plug for it. Nothing special, but here it is.

My Newest Addition Os_1010
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: My Newest Addition

Post  rsv1cox Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:10 pm

Nice, I love those little small displacement OS and Enya engines. Nice spinner on it too.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Someone once gave me a 10FP control line version. Compression felt fine when I got it & it looked practically new. It was missing the prop driver but I got a new one along with a screw & gasket set. After spending about 15 minutes trying to get it to start I found that it had completely run out of compression. I had thoroughly dismantled and cleaned it first and the piston & cylinder looked like new. After my starting attempt the alloy piston was badly scored. I still don't know what happened. Engine was clean, fuel was clean, something failed. Mad
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:55 pm

I had one of those right after they came out. It out lived several planes. It was a super engine. It never gave me any trouble and performed pretty well, too. I am sorry I don't still have it. Good luck with yours.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon May 09, 2016 8:54 pm

So this weekend was the weekend to run this little bugger up. It did not play nice at first, but we than had a little talk. After that, it started playing in the same sandbox with me. Still is a bit of a bear to start so I am using the electric starter. I was amazed at how quiet this little gem is. It has a very nice hum to it. Throttle response is good, but very short it seems. The only other thing I have to say about it is I wish I had a smaller tank. This darn thing runs for over 20 minutes on a 4 ounce tank! Also as I am new to anything over .049, I am unsure of needle settings. I am running Omega 5%. When looking at it from certain angles, you can clearly see a misty trail of fuel coming from the muffler. I was wondering if I have it set too rich? I would however prefer to have it richer over leaner. So far though, I have about an hour of runtime on it and it is still running the OS #8 plug I put in it immediately before running. I was thinking too rich would kill the plug if indeed it was.

My Newest Addition Os_10_10

My Newest Addition Os_10_11
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 09, 2016 9:14 pm

Actually it's the opposite. Lean runs burn plugs. Nice little FP, is it the iron piston or aluminum. I only ask because Omega is low castor.

Have fun with it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dht7788 Mon May 09, 2016 9:46 pm

NEW222 wrote:So this weekend was the weekend to run this little bugger up. It did not play nice at first, but we than had a little talk. After that, it started playing in the same sandbox with me. Still is a bit of a bear to start so I am using the electric starter. I was amazed at how quiet this little gem is. It has a very nice hum to it. Throttle response is good, but very short it seems. The only other thing I have to say about it is I wish I had a smaller tank. This darn thing runs for over 20 minutes on a 4 ounce tank! Also as I am new to anything over .049, I am unsure of needle settings. I am running Omega 5%. When looking at it from certain angles, you can clearly see a misty trail of fuel coming from the muffler. I was wondering if I have it set too rich? I would however prefer to have it richer over leaner. So far though, I have about an hour of runtime on it and it is still running the OS #8 plug I put in it immediately before running. I was thinking too rich would kill the plug if indeed it was.

Try using an OS #6 (A3) plug. Its the short plug for small displacement engines. As far as needle settings, set the high needle with a tach around 300 rpm's rich of peak, set the low for smooth transition from low idle to full high rpm after 20-30 seconds at low idle.
dht7788
dht7788
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon May 09, 2016 10:18 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Actually it's the opposite. Lean runs burn plugs. Nice little FP, is it the iron piston or aluminum. I only ask because Omega is low castor.

Have fun with it.

I do not know or how to tell, so I cannot honestly answer that. Is there a difference regarding the fuel I am using?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon May 09, 2016 10:20 pm

dht7788 wrote:
NEW222 wrote:So this weekend was the weekend to run this little bugger up. It did not play nice at first, but we than had a little talk. After that, it started playing in the same sandbox with me. Still is a bit of a bear to start so I am using the electric starter. I was amazed at how quiet this little gem is. It has a very nice hum to it. Throttle response is good, but very short it seems. The only other thing I have to say about it is I wish I had a smaller tank. This darn thing runs for over 20 minutes on a 4 ounce tank! Also as I am new to anything over .049, I am unsure of needle settings. I am running Omega 5%. When looking at it from certain angles, you can clearly see a misty trail of fuel coming from the muffler. I was wondering if I have it set too rich? I would however prefer to have it richer over leaner. So far though, I have about an hour of runtime on it and it is still running the OS #8 plug I put in it immediately before running. I was thinking too rich would kill the plug if indeed it was.

Try using an OS #6 (A3) plug. Its the short plug for small displacement engines. As far as needle settings, set the high needle with a tach around 300 rpm's rich of peak, set the low for smooth transition from low idle to full high rpm after 20-30 seconds at low idle.

Thank you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue May 10, 2016 12:05 am

NEW222 wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Actually it's the opposite. Lean runs burn plugs. Nice little FP, is it the iron piston or aluminum. I only ask because Omega is low castor.

Have fun with it.

I do not know or how to tell, so I cannot honestly answer that. Is there a difference regarding the fuel I am using?

If a magnet sticks to the liner with the head removed, it's steel. If it is, you should get some 20% or higher oil with half castor. Sig Champion 10/20 is good. I even add some castor to it, but you don't have to. I run my OS engines on 10/22(50/50), whether they are ABN or steel.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue May 10, 2016 4:02 am

I don't believe the FP .10 was made with a steel piston. Regardless, I would keep the fuel a castor synthetic blend . Omega fuels can be very low on oil content as Ron mentioned . They don't always  advertise their oil content on the packaging and you won't get a straight answer from them if you e-mail them. If I may comment on your test stand. Your tank is very far away from the engine making your fuel line very long. With the clunk on the bottom of the tank and the engine sitting up on the stand, it's a very uphill battle to initiate fuel draw. This would probably explain your need for an electric starter. Moving your tank to the side of the engine and keeping your fuel line as short as possible would greatly benefit with starting.  Hooking your vent to your muffler pressure line would assist. It can also make choking the engine easier. Place your finger over the exhaust outlet and flip a few times watching the fuel rise up to the venturi through the fuel line. Keep your props small, this engine likes to turn up. 7x4 is the norm, but I have used smaller. This is an engine like the Norvel .074 which is caught between manufacturers prop sizes.  I had to reshape some 7x4's by trimming the tips leaving some square and rounding off some to reduce diameter to achieve the desired rpm's. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue May 10, 2016 6:44 am

OK. It is a bad picture. The tank was not hooked up in the picture. While running the engine, the tank is approximately an inch or so maximum behind the case. The lines off the tank are approximately 3" or so each.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue May 10, 2016 6:44 am

OK.  It is a bad picture. The tank was not hooked up in the picture. While running the engine, the tank is approximately an inch or so maximum behind the case. The lines off the tank are approximately 3" or so each.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down