Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ace Foam wings Cox_ba12

Ace Foam wings Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by rdw777 Today at 5:56 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 5:52 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ace Foam wings Empty
Live on Patrol

Ace Foam wings

Go down

Ace Foam wings Empty Ace Foam wings

Post  dankar04 Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:12 am

I have two Ace Mach none's with foam wings. It has a spar in wing and will cover it with med. silkspan and 50/50 white glue. I just built a wing for a UC Carrier profile and wing looks great. Dope on 50/50 just like paint and works nicely. No smell or mess. ater cleanup. To fuel proof rattle cans for paint. I was concerned with just iron on covering and this method is fine.
Dan Airplane

Last edited by dankar04 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated)
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Ace Foam wings Empty ace foam wings

Post  Jaspur_x Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:30 pm

replicas of the ace foam wings can be obtained through select hobbies(tapered chord and constant chord),although his do not have the slots for the spars,I just got some and the spar slots are not at all dificult if you have access to a tablesaw.

I always ysed low heat monokote type coverings on the ace foam wings with no dificulties yet.

Why not post a build thread here on your build so those who have not built such a model can see how its done?
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Ace Foam wings Empty covering

Post  dankar04 Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Sorry no pictures yet but system is easy. Cut panel a little bigger then dampen silkspan. Appy over foam and add 50/50 with brush. Cleanup is with warm water. I have used ecno/monocote/ flightcote/ SLC with foam and its good. The advantage is silkspan gives stronger wing and will not lossen up out doors. With rattle can paints you can choose any color you like. This is not for everybody but another way to do something. You use iron on thats good. We all know when fuel get to iron on that ugly lines appear and you can see them. Plus this is cheaper than money cot Airplane es.
Dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Ace Foam wings Empty but....

Post  Jaspur_x Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:32 am

Some of us just don`t have the skill to get the other coverings on right, if I am very lucky I get it right the first try with monokote,but I have never had a build that I was satisfied with my covering job. lol!

I could just imagine myself using a method that is diferent and has more steps, I have read about other coverings and "how to`s" and it sounds like just more for me to do wrong over and over.

I applaud the guys that can get the other covering methods like silk and dope etc, but I know better than to try it myself.

I can`t scratch build worth a hot either so I keep to the really simple builds and go kit form.
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Ace Foam wings Empty Silkspan

Post  dankar04 Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:00 am

Monocote is a good product but no good for foam. The method I use is cheap/ strong and paintable any color I wish. Its not an instant finish but easy enough. It will never loosen up like heat shink materials.
Dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Ace Foam wings Empty Re: Ace Foam wings

Post  andrew Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:00 am

Dan's approach using silkspan and white glue is one of the better methods of covering foam wings. In the absence of silkspan, some folks have used lightweight wrapping paper, but it's generally heavier and does not penetrate as well. White glue will also get sticky if heated, so with a little care, it a piece pulls up, you can re-stick it with a covering iron.

I'm not a big fan of using low heat plastics on foam simply because it's a fine dance between getting good adhesion and melting the underlying foam. Secondly, the film looks like it's been applied over a cobblestone street. I have used DAP lightweight spackle that was thinned with water, painted on the foam wing then sanded to fill in the gaps in the beads and give a smooth surface. I have also used WPU and .5oz fiberglass cloth to cover a foam wing --- you have to be careful in selecting the brand of WPU because some are not fuel resistant (don't ask how I found out).

One of the advantages of covering with silkspan or light fiberglass cloth is that it adds tremendous rigidity and dent resistance. Unless the wing is large or going to be stressed heavily stressed, you don't need spars, which saves having to cut spar slots. However, I think the biggest advantage is that it provides a boundary layer between the foam and any paint you may use. A lot of the rattle can paints will attack raw foam, but may be sprayed on covered foam -- light coats first. Just be careful about weight buildup.

My flying buddy had built a Terminator -- a foam board delta wing that we use for full contact combat. He had some spray paint left from another home project, so painted the wing in Blue Angle colors. When he went back to the shop after a cup of coffee in the house, about the only thing left was packing tape, spars and a few tidbits of riddled foam.

Don't be worried about using thinned white glue. I've used it to roll rocket motors from thin poster board and when dry, they get hard as a rock. It's a good technique and opens the door for a lot of paint options.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Ace Foam wings Empty Re: Ace Foam wings

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down