Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Lack Of Flying This Year Cox_ba12

Lack Of Flying This Year Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Lack Of Flying This Year Empty
Live on Patrol

Lack Of Flying This Year

Go down

Lack Of Flying This Year Empty Lack Of Flying This Year

Post  NEW222 Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi all. This is both a good but bad thing. I was gunning to fly a lot more this year, but that darn thing called LIFE has been happening as of late. I will not get to fly as much as anticipated, but it is all good and I will at least get some more in next year at least. A few weeks ago, my pit-man, my father, was put out of service due to heart issues and was resting and told not to do much till his surgery. Was supposed to go in last Thursday for 2 stents, then was discovered he would need 3. No biggie, as it is very routine and we have the best heart surgeons in Canada here in Winnipeg. It was when he went in that they could not get them in and discovered the third. Being blocked on 2 of the arteries (?) by 95% and the third at 100% they told us, he was a walking miracle. So they advanced him Monday for open heart and performed a triple bypass. He is still recovering but will be home this weekend. Very Happy But the road to recovery will be slow as well as my hobbies as I now have my house and yard, my parents house and yard, and the cottage to take care of, leaving little time for the fun stuff. He is my pit-man, and frankly the only one I trust as he has always been there for me. The up side is that by fall he will be much better but mainly he will be here for more years to come! While I have my week of summer holidays, I will be trying to make my stooge and hopefully get up some anyways. I also have my .049 powered airboat and am finishing up a .40 size scratch build that I can safely do by myself without help. Anyways I am just glad I can talk about this in a good way. I hope to be able to post more now that I am not worrying anymore. Either way on any of my limited free time, rest assure that I have been burning up nitro on a few of my reedies, my new-to-me OS .10, and now my nemesis the darn TD .051! I swear I will get it going. I have at least 2 mounted at any time for sure and sometimes 3. Smile Thanks for reading and letting me rant about my past few weeks.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Lack Of Flying This Year Empty Re: Lack Of Flying This Year

Post  getback Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:01 pm

New222 I am glad to hear everything will be OK with your dad and I get the one more thing to do but a least you want be worrying about your best friend as much now ,and just burning some nitro always makes things better Very Happy Hope you can get some fly time in soon if only a little . I haven't seen this new bird your working on maybe I missed it ? Eric Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:15 pm

Sorry, no new birds. The .40 scratch build I mentioned is also an airboat. Just finished sealing it and every spare minute I get I will be working on getting it done. I will try to post a picture of it Sunday night. But beware, it is not finished. Smile
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:45 am

Good to hear things will work out!

You can fly RC with a simulator using a tablet or a computer. You could try your hand at RC
something simple that requires no pit man as in CL unless you use a launch stooge perhaps.

I do the old string and pin trick to launch mine for roll out but I mainly fly RC so hasn't been an issue.

Cheers,

Beer Cheers
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:47 am

Thanks for the compliments and advice. I do fly smaller electric foamies. I guess I better start putting wheels on things.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:41 pm

NEW222 wrote:Thanks for the compliments and advice. I do fly smaller electric foamies. I guess I better start putting wheels on things.

Good news concerning your Dad! Thumbs Up He's a lucky man both; health-wise and also to have a caring son in you.

Nothing wrong with putting wheels on a model airplane.. I don't know of many "full-scale" that would get off the ground without them!

A Roddie "quick and dirty" cheap method.. (you may already have everything you need)

A simple inverted V-strut made of 3/64" (.047") music-wire can be slipped between the engine and firewall of an .049 reedie-powered model. Make your axle-bends (3/8" to 1/2") and maybe make some wheels using plastic "checkers" or "poker-chips". Drill hubs using a common 1/16" drill-bit. (3/64" would be ideal if you have one..) Wheel-retainers can be made from sheet-tin cut into small discs. Place them on a wood-block and pierce them on center with a push-pin.. so that they push-onto the axle tightly. (push-on using a piece of sm. rigid tubing.. or something to avoid poking your finger/thumb.. maybe a metal dinner-fork) Use them on the inside and outside of the wheel-hubs.. especially if your hubs are oversize for the axles. This will help them to track straight.. as well as keeping them from "buffeting" in flight.

You say that you're working on a "pin-stooge".. EXCELLENT!! Linking the airplane up, can be done in a variety of ways. A "quick and dirty" way (especially if you have no tail-gear..) is to drill a small hole through the bottom tail of the fuse and thread a string through with a loop on the tag-end to engage the pin. Simple.. and very unlikely to cause any interference with the elevator-horn.

"All" of my models have pin-stooge-links.. whether it's a music-wire tail-skid with a loop formed on the end.. or (one of my personal favorites..) a wood popsicle stick/tail-skid with a hole drilled in it.. a large-size line-connector placed between a tail-wheel and it's strut.. whatever works.

Your dad would love to see you flying as he recuperates.. I'm sure! A little Pee Wee or Babe Bee powered model can be flown almost anywhere! Make up a set of 20-25 foot lines.. grab him a lawn chair and have some fun!

I should practice what I preach... Rolling Eyes

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:00 pm

While my lack of flying is all about the weather, I see that you have a much bigger challenge.. and sounds like your dad will get through this and you and your dad can have more years of being kids a few hours here and there...a good thing

watch your old man closely the first few weeks... by pass surgery has many complications (mostly from the post op drugs).. you see any issues with him, skin color, not bath rooming regularly, lethargic, slurred speech... ( I am sure doc said what to look for)... get him to hospital ASAP!

My Father in law just had that same surgery a few months back and had bad complications from the blood thinners... almost lost him again

Not intending to add to your stress levels... but you get the idea...he is your only father...
Our prayers are out there for you and family
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Thank you all again for the help, tips, advice and prayers. It is greatly appreciated.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down