Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Enya .15 diesel MK II Cox_ba12

Enya .15 diesel MK II Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Enya .15 diesel MK II Empty
Live on Patrol

Enya .15 diesel MK II

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Enya .15 diesel MK II Empty Enya .15 diesel MK II

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:22 am

I managed to get this back together last evening with the help of Bob Brooks. The Enya diesels are not very common in these parts. This one had some pretty bad damage. Cracked drive washer, broken prop washer and a damaged bearing. If I had to fathom a guess, I would say it took a shot. The backplate showed some scars which I polished out and threads on the shaft needed some attention. This Enya is bushed and ball raced. A very simple design and easily serviced. Robust rod internally and heavy duty crankshaft. A very nice piece which will be a lot of fun to run on the bench. It feels very smooth and I'm looking forward to running it.
      Enya .15 diesel MK II Dscn2617
      Enya .15 diesel MK II Dscn2618
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Enya .15 diesel MK II Empty Re: Enya .15 diesel MK II

Post  fit90 Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:10 am

That is a beautiful engine. You did a super job bringing it back to its old glory. I hope it runs as well as it looks good for you.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:19 pm

Nice job Ken, of all my Enya's not one is a diesel.

Thanksfully, there is a Bobby Brooks. I live off him or he off me, don't know which. I see that he has a connecting rod for a .15 diesel. Nice to know. I need one for my Thunder tiger variant .15II but it's one of the few parts that he does not have.

Got to look your's up on Bob Allans' compendium. Did you take a "before" picture? Another member here uses kerosene and 800 grit to polish his engines and they come out beautiful too. Are those normally polished like the Enya .09 and .15 II's? They are the only two Enya's that I know of that are, most are a matte finish.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:28 pm

Bob, this case is certainly different than most Enya's I've owned. At first I thought it was a result of a bad crock pot soaking as I've seen some cases ( OS MAX-S ) become mottled and discolored. I just used Mother's sparingly followed by a light scrubbing with a stainless brush in the nooks and crannies. The top cylinder fins appear to be chromed aluminum. Bob has almost all parts for this engine. A real neat piece. I wasn't going for appearance that much as functionality is important here. I did note that it weighs just slightly more than the glow.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks Ken, Either way it's a fine looking engine. I love the angular features of the case and the extra separation of the cylinder fins.

I should try a diesel, any diesel. But it means a different fuel and a new experience for me. But, it must seems nice not to have to have an igniter and all the necessary accessories involved.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:06 pm

That is one collectable Enya. I don't know why but the Enya 15 diesels have a following among collectors. I have never seen one flown and have only bench run mine but they take some running in.

The Enya diesels are tough little beasts.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Ian, you will see this one being flown. A most remarkable piece. It really is a nicely built engine. I just replaced the bearing and I have to say it feels very very smooth. I can assume the run is the same way. Merry Christmas, Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:01 pm

Ken Cook wrote:               Ian, you will see this one being flown. A most remarkable piece. It really is a nicely built engine. I just replaced the bearing and I have to say it feels very very smooth. I can assume the run is the same way. Merry Christmas, Ken

Ken, Bob Brooks is up your way in Easton Pa for a month. It would be great if you got together.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:45 pm

That's a Hoss of an engine there ,Nice clean up too . I didn't know Enya made diesels , what the size prop your thinking for it ? Ken i know your into combat is that what you have in mind or something not so wild ! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:15 pm

I don't really have any intention of using the engine for combat although it's certainly possible. I have enough glow .15's to fill that arena. I just like bench running them but with this one, I certainly would like to get it on a .15 sport plane. A 8x4 APC will more than suffice for a prop. If you do a search on these, they're quite desirable. They're very high quality and robust. The earlier MK I had a crank which was a tad more fragile.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:25 pm

Well, if you have a cool 29,800 yen you could score a brand new one.

Enya .15 diesel MK II Pictur10

http://www.enya-engine.com/15D-II_E.html
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:22 am

As mentioned, it's quality yields a substantial price tag. I'm glad mine has good compression and everything is still tight. Doing some research it was mentioned that it was the best diesel produced in a 2.5 of the time. I would think not much has changed.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  tyro185 Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:51 pm

My Enya 15D-II was completely built from new old stock still seal in their original packaging from eBay seller shtterman, he has a comprehensive listing of Enya parts. I just purchased the diesel parts as they came up on his listing with the piston/liner assembly being the last part needed to complete the engine and I guess it's been a 18 month period before I had all parts. I even purchased an N.O.S box and copied instruction sheet from the same seller.

Take a look: http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=shtterman&_osacat=182193&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEFSXS%3AMESOI&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xenya.TRS0&_nkw=enya&_sacat=182193

Regards

Steve.
tyro185
tyro185
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 am

Steve, mine runs excellent. I would have to say it's the easiest starting diesel I own. Power seems to be very good. I haven't flown it in a plane yet,
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  tyro185 Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:01 am

Hi Ken,

The Enya 15D-II was the engine I grew up with, back in 1973 at age 10 when I started the hobby with control line, this engine was my only power plant for years and I use to swap the engine into another model at the park to fly. Quite often I would have two or three models with me to fly and just the one engine, it was also second hand as my dad acquired it from somewhere and was knocked around a bit but ran very sweetly. I loved that engine and I knew all its characteristics over many years of constant use, this was my reason for building up another one from parts as a memory sake as I hated myself for parting with the one from years ago.

Regards

Steve.
tyro185
tyro185
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:10 pm

While I've been strictly glow, my son has become quite fascinated with diesels and we have a small collection of them. He came across ours at a swap meet this past November for $20. When the prop was bolted on tight, the engine would bind. I took it apart and didn't see any problems internally. I repeated this process about 3 times until I saw a crack open up on the drive washer when tightening. I bought the drive washer from Shtterman on Ebay and he kindly sent me a link to the entire page of parts for the engine. I was absolutely impressed by the parts available.
ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Enya .15 diesel MK II Empty Enya .15 Diesels.

Post  JackHiner Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:24 am

1959 to 1961 I was a member of the Joliet, Illinos R/C club. A couple members used the Enya .15 diesel for their single channel R/C models. I used a Super Tigre .15 diesel. October 1961 I was off full filing my military obligation in the USAF. 1963-64 I was stationed in Japan at Misawa Air Base. The locals flew control line combat with Enya .15 diesels. A few years ago I got the Enya .15 Mk II diesel. Jack
JackHiner
JackHiner

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:17 am

Welcome to the forum.

There are a few members here that collect the Enya Diesels. One close to your location is member sosam117.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Enya .15 diesel MK II Empty New member --- sort-of

Post  sosam117 Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:44 am

Jason_WI wrote:Welcome to the forum.

There are a few members here that collect the Enya Diesels. One close to your location is member sosam117.

Hello Jason and Hello Jack!

Jason,
I have known Jack since I was a little kid.
He has been a friend of my dad and I, over the years since the early 1970's.
Jack has accomplished many things over his life time.
Held some sailplane records (distance and altitude) and has completed (LSF) League of Silent Flight Level V in Soaring (few have accomplished that).
He has also tried to do other model plane records as well (years ago).

And I was that little kid nipping at his heels, chasing down his planes (still am -- Jack just can't get around like he use to)
He helped me out when I was young, now I help him out as he has "matured" (older).

Jack and his oldtimer "Racer" and Glen too.
      Enya .15 diesel MK II Packin10

Jack and his Airborne
      Enya .15 diesel MK II Img_0041
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Enya .15 diesel MK II Empty How did the OS Max 15 diesel compare to the Enya 15 diesel

Post  Glendale Old Time Flyer Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:26 am

I had an OS Max 15 diesel pass through my hands--bought it cheap at a collecto then several years later sold it for maybe 30 times what I paid for it on Fleabay. As I said, I bought it cheap. I was surprised what the buyer was willing to pay for it (he was a guy who bought up lots of things in the USA to ship back to Japan). Apparently OS made it only one year--1958, and so it was rare. Jack may have seen some guys in Japan flying the OS Max 15 diesel. Was it simply outclassed by the Enya 15?
Glendale Old Time Flyer
Glendale Old Time Flyer

Back to top Go down

Enya .15 diesel MK II Empty O.S. 1958 .15 Diesel

Post  JackHiner Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:45 pm

I had one of these diesels. A great engine with plenty of power. The down side it was heavy. But the weight OK with me as the original Flite Streak balanced perfect with this engine. And the combo flew great. The control line team race folks did not like it as the weight. They went with the Oliver Tiger for the event. I had a few .15 diesels from the late 1950's into the mid 60's. Got into R/C sailplanes in 1970's and got rid of glow and diesels in the 70's and 80's. I wish I kept the diesels. Jack
JackHiner
JackHiner

Back to top Go down

Enya .15 diesel MK II Empty You Want a Heavy Diesel

Post  Glendale Old Time Flyer Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:33 pm

At various times I've had an original Oliver Tiger---a nice engine and great for Nostalgia Free Flight. I also had a replica Oliver Battleaxe that i ultimately traded for a Brown Jr. That Battleaxe was really heavy. It also had one of the bolt on heads and alignment of the head was critical. Four machine screws held the head to the crankcase and you needed to get them "just right". I've seen that setup on some other early English diesels.
Glendale Old Time Flyer
Glendale Old Time Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:06 am

JackHiner wrote:I had one of these diesels.  A great engine with plenty of power.  The down side it was heavy.  But the weight OK with me as the original Flite Streak balanced perfect with this engine.  And the combo flew great.  The control line team race folks did not like it as the weight.  They went with the Oliver Tiger for the event.  I had a few .15 diesels from the late 1950's into the mid 60's.  Got into R/C sailplanes in 1970's and got rid of glow and diesels in the 70's and 80's.  I wish I kept the diesels.  Jack

The Max-15 D was not by the standards of the time-a great 2.5 diesel-and a bit left field in terms of design...I mean a diesel with a slotted contra piston and a baffled piston? OS spent a lot of time and money developing it-but did not really achieve the breakthrough they hoped-Enya had already stolen the march on them with the 15D Mk1 and improved on it with the Mk2.....however the 15D provided the basis for the later Max-15D Racing glow....which proved an outstanding performer-an equalled or exceeded anything else on the market at the time-be it a TD15 or the Super Tigre G20 Jubilee model 15 glow. You can read the review here: http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/OS%20Max-D%20Racing%2015%20Glow.html .....just to make it interesting, it is a double test of the OS Max-D 15 glow and its contemporary ST G20 model-so you can do a direct comparison.

The Max-D 15 glows were I gather, not a regular OS line production, and only available to special order from the factory. Several found their way into the hands of some of the top UK FF power fliers of the time, where they proved very dominant in the domestic and international FAI power class...
ChrisM
'ffkiwi'

ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:26 am

A few months ago we were doing diesels all day. Unfortunately, my fellow club member ran out of diesel fuel and I'm not going to be the supplier so we parked them. He was flying a rather rare Super Tiger .19 G-23 and I was using a PAW TBR .19. It might not be considered rare to some, but I haven't come across this engine until recently. Larry Scarinzi provided us the engine and he didn't want to part with it. I could tell Larry was holding back. We were both using Flite Streaks for airframes. The Super Tiger like the PAW had radial porting. I also had a original not CS Yin Yan .15. These engines are louder than glow which surprised me. The PAW didn't impress me in this version as I thought the ball bearing version would really turn up. It did slightly better than the Tiger. The Tiger being years earlier offered a good bit of pep vs the PAW. The Yin Yan though flying a JR Flitestreak was very impressive with a 8x6. It offered plenty of speed. However, I had to screw with the contra piston so much I wanted to rip it off the plane. It vibrates so much that the lock would constantly come undone. The slightest tweak either way would offer a less than desirable run. The other problem with the Yin Yan was that when run hard the piston would swell just enough to pinch in the cylinder. I have lapped this piston at least 3 times and it still does it. It only does it when it gets real hot. At this point, I will just keep running it. For a cheap Chinese engine, the fits on my particular engine are quite good.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:48 pm

Ken Cook wrote:A few months ago we were doing diesels all day. Unfortunately, my fellow club member ran out of diesel fuel and I'm not going to be the supplier so we parked them. He was flying a rather rare Super Tiger .19 G-23 and I was using a PAW TBR .19. It might not be considered rare to some, but I haven't come across this engine until recently. Larry Scarinzi provided us the engine and he didn't want to part with it. I could tell Larry was holding back. We were both using Flite Streaks for airframes. The Super Tiger like the PAW had radial porting. I also had a original not CS Yin Yan .15. These engines are louder than glow which surprised me. The PAW didn't impress me in this version as I thought the ball bearing version would really turn up. It did slightly better than the Tiger. The Tiger being years earlier offered a good bit of pep vs the PAW. The Yin Yan though flying a JR Flitestreak was very impressive with a 8x6. It offered plenty of speed. However, I had to screw with the contra piston so much I wanted to rip it off the plane. It vibrates so much that the lock would constantly come undone. The slightest tweak either way would offer a less than desirable run. The other problem with the Yin Yan was that when run hard the piston would swell just enough to pinch in the cylinder. I have lapped this piston at least 3 times and it still does it. It only does it when it gets real hot. At this point, I will just keep running it. For a cheap Chinese engine, the fits on my particular engine are quite good.

The original Yin Yans (ie before CS got their hands on them!) were remarkably good engines for the price-and ran very well-but were a bit precious to start-especially from new. This I attribute to too much cylinder taper. I've had about 15 or so through my hands in the late 80s and early 90s-mainly for club use....cylinder fins just about every colour under the sun...I still have several (3 or 4) of the 249s (all blue) and a single 149 (red head). At the time specified we were buying them in from Hong Kong for a little over NZ $20 for the 149 and about NZ $30 for the 249.....when you compared the fits and construction to a similar UK diesel-the 1.5cc Frogs, ED and DCs, and the plain bearing 2.5cc such as the PAW and AM25....they performed very creditably-and were unbeatable for price....and of course at that price there was no such thing as spare parts-you simply got another one in. The design of course owes quite a bit to the German Webra Mach-1 as regards cylinder porting, and to the Hungarian Alag and Krisma engines for external styling.

They did get a bit of a bad rap in some quarters-but that usually came from the 'hard to start' arena-and as I found was largely caused by poor initial setup and worse instructions....they all came ex factory with the large 7mm ID venturi insert fitted-plus the instructions specified '5-7 turns open on the needle......with a 7mm venturi there was no suction, and if you used a bit of gravity feed by raising the tank somewhat-the engine continually flooded....so no wonder they were hard to start. Replace the 7mm venturi with the alternative 5.5mm one (supplied in the box when new), open the needle valve only a more usual 3 turns open-and hey presto...quite reasonable to start....and they run smooth as silk.

You can find a comprehensive article-THE comprehensive article (!) here: https://adriansmodelaeroengines.com/catalog/main.php?cat_id=74

Some have proved to be a bit fragile in the shaft-though I've never encountered this directly, on learning of it I took the precaution of stress relieving the shaft via the 'bury in sand , heat in domestic oven to 400+ degrees and cool slowly' method-a method found to work well on CS Oliver Tiger crankshafts....

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next