Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Cox_ba12

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by aspeed Today at 8:06 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Empty
Live on Patrol

What was your favorite cox airplane ?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Empty What was your favorite cox airplane ?

Post  akjgardner Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:42 pm

What was your vavorite cox airplane when you where a kid ? Mine was the green camo P 40 then the black Stuka.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Empty Re: What was your favorite cox airplane ?

Post  Marleysky Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Mine was the TD-3 Flying Circus , Red and White checkerboard wings....Alvin and the Chipmunks singing "All I want for Christmas is a plane that loops and loops"
I did get it for Christmas. It hung from strings above my dresser in the bedroom. Meanwhile my parents had me practice spinning in circles so I would not get dizzy If and when I did get a chance to fly it. My Mom had bought the plane for me as it was all I kept asking for. She insisted I was too young to fly it. On Easter weekend we took it up to her brothers house who had built and flown a gas powered freeflight airplane, so he knew what he was doing....har harr, har. I got bored watching my Uncle and Dad trying to start the Babe bee and went back inside to play with my cousins. When at last I heard the buzzing of the baby bee, l headed back out the the backyard just in time to watch it do what I learned much later as a figure 9. Turned into "airplane art". Similar to what Bob recently posted. My Dad felt really bad about what happened. He attempted to repair the smashed nose with a round wood piece from a old Tinkertoy set. Never was the same, never did fly it .
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Empty Re: What was your favorite cox airplane ?

Post  crankbndr Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:12 pm

The only Cox plane I had was a Stinker, it actually flew from what I remember. It must have started easy because Dad never helped, it was like heres the model, fuel and battery now go fly.
Probably gave a window of opportunity so my parents could play hide the salami!! I was about 9

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Img_0510
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  watertrucker Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:06 pm

I had a Sopwith Camel that I got at JC Penny's in 1974 when I was 14. My dad and I tried to fly it but it crashed pretty hard, breaking the prop. My dad was diagnosed with cancer about this time and passed away shortly afterward. Don't remember what happened to that old plane but I scored one on eBay just like it last month. Pretty special to me.
watertrucker
watertrucker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:48 pm

I would have to say my Chipmunk. Although I have not flown it, and the only other one I have is the F-18.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:23 pm

Hmmm, good question...I'd have to say PT-19, I had more airtime with mine then all the other combined, one I thought was the coolest, best looking was my Rivets!

Last edited by Mark Boesen on Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:01 pm

Guess it's got to be the PT-19 for me too...got me started in all this stuff after all...

What was your favorite cox airplane ? 75147710

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Waynes10

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Pt_0_510

What was your favorite cox airplane ? 0_210
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:57 pm

My dad bought "us" one of these back in the late 60's/early 70's. I was 9 in 69.. What year did Cox debut the Sopwith pictured below?

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Cox-so10

The model is long gone, but I may have the engine that was in it. My dad built me Goldberg Swordsman 18 and Stuntman 23 models, around the same period. The Swordsman had a Babe Bee.. and the Stuntman had a Golden Bee. I'm certain that I still have that GB.. but the Babe is a mystery. The Sopwiths' product engine was a Babe Bee. The airframe no doubt got broken at some point.. and my dad probably pulled the engine before throwing it away. I'd like to think that the original engine is amongst my parts inventory. Most all of my Cox engines are Bee's; hand-me-downs within our family and are 40-50 years old. The engine-configurations that I've assembled and ran.. don't have a lot of hours on them though. Much less than the avid enthusiast. I enjoyed an approximate 3-year window in the early 90's, when my dad showed up at my house with a NIB Cox PT19 flight-Trainer.. (some 30 years later..) and we flew it all afternoon!

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Pilots10

That outing spawned what would become an obsession with 1/2A C/L flight for me. Cox models were still in stores at that time. I later bought a Cox "Cosmic Wind" model.

What was your favorite cox airplane ? 4-11-110

Like the 90's vintage PT19.. it had the same horseshoe back-plate .049 reed-valve prod.-engine mount.. that could be mounted on a balsa-wood airframe.. with an external tank. I bought several of the back-plate/needle-assy's direct from Cox Hobbies back then.. and designed my own small 1/2A profile balsawood airplanes for them. I'd sourced several small wedge-tanks (5-10cc's) to try on various models. Cox engines are much more capable than most of the plastic ARF models that were designed for them.. but that's ok. They made their mark.. and are desirable pieces still today.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:36 am

The Cox PT-19 ranks at the top of my list as it introduced me to the world of model aviation in 1976. The model that led to the world of radio controlled flight is the Cox .049 Cessna Centurion. Without a doubt, the single most important model I ever flew, as I taught myself how to fly with it. Both hold a very special place in my heart.

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Img_1110
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:42 am

Actually never had one, although I begged and begged for a PT-19. I don't recall ever seeing any other Cox model advertised. I recall that the PT-19 was $19.95 and the TV ad made it look soooo good, with a first flick start and amazing flying ability (better than reality I suspect). I got a Testors Fly-em P-40 for Christmas instead. Ironically, the first Cox engine I ever got was a P-40 Super Bee, although never knew that until recently identified. In light of all that, if I had my choice, I would probably now choose a Cox P-40 model.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:25 am

I had a Cox electric control line plane which i believe was 1976. It worked very well and it yielded a lot of fun, It held my interest for quite a while. I think it was a Cessna and it was green, white, black. You placed the plane atop a 6 volt lantern battery. The underside of the fuse had two holes for the battery coils to protrude into and internally there was a strip of copper wire that the terminals rested on. After a minute of two you placed the plane on the ground and when you offered up elevator the bellcrank engaged the motor switch and you were off. Surprisingly the plane flew well not offering too much in the arena or maneuvers, but it just looked great flying around. Absolutely it has nothing over what electrics are available today. I pretty much owned most of the Cox offerings and they pretty much flew like crap which essentially left them as shelf queens. They're still sitting on the shelf here 40+ years later. Fortunately for me, my father was an excellent builder/repairman. The sticker on the balsa sheets needed no explanation "Balsa flies better". It may not always look as nice as the store bought varieties but they certainly do fly better.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:30 am

Never had one as a kid, and this P-40 is the only one I have so far:

What was your favorite cox airplane ? 14253738.t

It looks nice, but I am not very confident about how it would fly, so it'll stay a shelf queen.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:14 am

I had a Spook and an ME 109.  I discovered a whole new world of 049 CL stunt with these ships on 008 steel Lines!  I never had the TD 1 , but that was my real favorite.  That was the Cadillac of the skies.

Last edited by GWILLIEFOX on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:26 am

I was another one of the PT-19 Trainer boys at around 14-15 we had moved to the city by then Sad  I hated the city nothing to do NO friends and when i did find friends i got into trouble ! My Dad helped me since he use to fly as a kid , and we put it to the test Laughing  I leaned to fly but the poor PT took the punishment , late on balsa came into the seen i guess my Dad had never flown or even seen a plastic model fly and was not to impressed . The Stuntman 23 was next in line and i still have the remains (broken fuse, motor mount ect. ) Now i have other Cox Planes but have not flown them as said Balsa flys better ....  What was your favorite cox airplane ? Cox_5710
Rudolph Rudolph
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:11 am

Here's one of my favorite Cox products...i also think it was one of the last ones i got as a kid, as i was building more stuff at this time.

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Rivets10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:23 am

A Stuka in 1974 and the Super Sport Trainer in 1975. The first one belonged to a friend who crashed it and, uninterested, gave me the red postage stamp 049 production engine that I still have today. The second one was mine, not that behind the Iron Curtain it was just like you walked into the first Hobby shop (there were not many either) and selected the one you fancied the most.... COX engines and models were almost unknown East of Checkpoint Charlie...

But these 2 critters have gravitated and kept me in the COX-powered R/C plane building/flying and crashing obsession even until my matured-kid age today. And will keep for many more years, you bet....
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:54 am

Once again I'm enjoying a stroll down memory lane with you guys.  

I never had a plastic powered airplane until I joined the CEF and fell under the influence.  Christmas for me meant heavy clothes etc.  But one memorable Christmas when I was around 11 or 12 I awoke at 2 am went down stairs to a brightly lit tree with ice skates and skis under the tree and best of all real square tipped leather ski boots.  

My airplanes were all Sterling "hollow logs" that I built and flew.  Engines were Cox Space Bug Jr's. though.  Later there was just one Cox plastic helicopter that I flew with my son sometime in the early seventies.

Now I have a whole fleet of plastic airplanes, some Cox, some not.  Guess my favorites would be the Wen-Mac powered Air/King Cobras.  The only one I ever "flew" was a Cox PT-19, a flight that ended with both of us belly down in a field of dreams.  Smile

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Pt-19_11

Honorable mention would be my Cox Powered AD-6/A-1 Skyraiders.

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Pt-19_10

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:37 am

My favorite was the TD-1, although I never owned one. They were $19.95 in the early fifties when many folks made ~$1.00/hour in my area. That was half a week's work.

Still...one could look and drool. Smile

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:32 pm

It's interesting; we're all concerned about the possibility of crashing a vintage Cox airplane and avoiding the thrill.. while we're putting our lives on the line, just driving in traffic these days.

Road-rash on a Cox SandBlaster or Dune-Buggy just adds character. "Road-rash" on an airplane, usually results in a broken airplane. Be sure to take photos before the flight.

Merry Christmas!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:00 pm

akjgardner wrote:What was your favorite cox airplane when you where a kid ? Mine was the green camo P 40 then the black Stuka.

Supermarine Spitfire in British markings with .049 Silver Bee engine (Babe Bee tank back and extended 8cc tank w/o Golden Bee stunt nipples). I had one in 1965.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Empty RE: What is your favorite Cox airplane ?

Post  66 Malibu Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:09 pm

My all time favorite was the Lil' Stinker that I got for Christmas !958. It's long gone and sometime I will find a decent one again.
Currently, I Have 2 PT-19's one new and one NIB, A Piper Cub, NIB, A Cox Recon RC NIB, a Hyper Viper NIB, and a Kyosho Cox Dessault Mirage III RC with an unstarted Black Widow, and a Cox Sportavia RC assembled but never flown.

Love them all.......Steve
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

What was your favorite cox airplane ? Empty RE: What is your favorite Cox airplane ?

Post  66 Malibu Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:28 pm

It's late and I'm thinking slow, but I forgot to mention that I was out shopping today with my wife and at an antique flea market store and there was a NIB Cox Cessna RC circa 1977 for $125. Normally I would have tried to get it but We helped a family whose Dad was badly injured in July and unable to work. Any Cox toy money I had went to a bunch of toys for
two little girls and the fixings for a fine turkey dinner for Christmas Day. Not bragging but offering evidence I've finally got my priorities right !!
Oh Yes, not Cox, but have to add a Bratco Skybaby with a Norvel .061 NIB and the advanced Bratco Hexdrone with a Norvel .061 NIB as favorites also.....I guess they are all favorites !!!!
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:44 pm

You did the right thing. You do have your priorities straight.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:03 am

Cribbs74 wrote:You did the right thing. You do have your priorities straight.

I agree, with what Cribbs said. Priorities are in correct order.
Never seen or heard of Bratco models. Could have been named after one of my cousins?
Rudolph
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:39 pm

God bless you Steve. Your heart and soul are intact!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next