Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Cox_ba12

BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 3:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

BHM Mosquito in MS-build

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Mad Re: BHM Mosquito in MS-build

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:39 am

Kudos to the ground crew. The future of Britain is at stake.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:21 am

Had me going for a min. lol what kind of puddy did you put that together with? lol! Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:14 am

944_Jim wrote:Fictitious backstory;
The Luftwaffe shot out both tanks while she was preparing for an emergency landing. The ensuing crash damaged major areas on the airframe. An expert piano builder had been brought in to assess, or repair. Captain Black Hawk pleaded to have the aircraft repaired. The only available paints were mixed together to get at least on same segment of the color wheel. Captain Black Hawk will find that enemy pilot, and seek retribution! (Is retribution the appropriate word?)

Further back story:

Captain Black Hawk's journal wrote:Making it safely home in safety with my aircrew, I breathed a sigh of relief. It was not my preferred style to pilot an aircraft with munitions replaced by camera equipment. Yet the DH-98 didn't fail me, I am amazed at the structural strength of the plywood bird and its two Rolls-Royce Merlin 76 V-12 engines pumping out 3420 total horsepower that helped keep me well ahead of several ME-109's I encountered. It must have been by pure luck that the enemy artillery flak battery managed a hit.

I was further delighted with word from my squadron commander that my reconnaissance photo flight deep into enemy territory had provided invaluable information on pinpointing previously unknown locations of several forward Gestapo headquarters. I still am filled with a sense of awe when earlier that day, a Danish farmer gave us friendly hand salute to my aircrew as we passed by his farm at low level to avoid enemy detection and antiaircraft placements, as we further penetrated deeper into enemy territory.

Freshly painted by our squadron's best artist mechanic, my battle scarred bird on the aircraft forward fuselage gained another token of meritorious service, to signify that my earlier mission before this reconnaissance flight was not in vain. It signifies the gratitude of my fellow comrades in the other Mosquito, whose lives were spared. A sense of satisfaction overwhelmed me when I observed the humbled parachuting enemy pilot watch his mortally wounded ME-109 plunge to the ground in flames after being peppered with my DH-98's incendiary rounds.
Eyebrows Tired w/ Coffee Read Popcorn drunken Beer Cheers cheers This Site Rocks!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:00 pm

For GB: Two small tubes of Harbor Fright Super Glue and about a teaspoon of baking soda.

For GG: Your "Further Back" story had me in stitches! I only meant to paint (YuckYuck, a pun) a picture for why my paintjob didn't blend the wreck/repair. Yours was so good I showed it to my work mate!
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks, Jim for the kind words. I've always like the looks of the Mosquito. I've got a Sterling 36" P-38 profile CL that I've been wanting to build. Only reason I haven't is I'll have to modify its construction to make the landing gear more robust. Already have 2 Enya .09-III venturi engines for it. Landing gear is sandwiched between 2 sheets of 3/16" balsa for a 3/8" thick profile fuselage and engine pod booms. A hard landing will break loose the landing gear wire.

Another one I like is the Focke Wulf TA-154 Moskito. It came out about the same time as the Mosquito, but never made it past prototyping, because the Germans felt they already had other planes that filled the niche.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:34 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:

Another one I like is the Focke Wulf TA-154 Moskito. It came out about the same time as the Mosquito, but never made it past prototyping, because the Germans felt they already had other planes that filled the niche.

The Do 17 "Flying Pencil" maybe.

BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Flying10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:00 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
GallopingGhostler wrote:Another one I like is the Focke Wulf TA-154 Moskito. It came out about the same time as the Mosquito, but never made it past prototyping, because the Germans felt they already had other planes that filled the niche.
The Do 17 "Flying Pencil" maybe.
Being very streamlined would make for a fast, spirited flying RC. Thumbs Up

Another one, Henschel HS-129, Outerzone UK: 36 in. C/L, Henschel HS-129 Plan ID #529
BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Outerz10

As far as purdy goes, I like the sleek lines of the Moskito,
Outerzone UK: 38 in. C/L, Focke Wulf TA-154 Plan ID #912
BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Outerz11
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:09 pm

OK..I've kicked this around the shop for too long, and it was in better shape than the P-40 I smashed this summer (again, and finally).
New, larger tanks were recently made using Roddie's "wood buck" process. These tanks are twice as large, so I expect about 2:45 flights. I didn't take the time to build sump/hoppers into the exterior corners. Instead, the tanks' outside walls tip out at the back edge, and the fuel pickup tube stops on the tank floor in that back outside corner. If the entire tank doesn't drain, well, I'll just flush out what ever is left with some straight methanol.
I hope to out another half-dozen flights in this plane. After that, any additional flight is gravy.
So, hoping for good weather this coming weekend so I can get back in the air!BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Img_2184
BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Img_2186
BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Img_2185

Last edited by 944_Jim on Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:38 am

That's funny, I just looked at mine yesterday and snapped a picture. Thought, What a waste letting it sit with those two beautiful vintage Enya .09's.

Your shaming me into something...……...maybe next year...…...groan...……..

BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 Pa200014
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:53 pm

Bob,
I'd love to see detailed pictures of your engine and tank install. I do seem to remember that you used bigger Enyas! I know this one pulls like a freight train when both engines are at work.

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Hey man! The tanks look good! It was nice to read some about this model. I've missed it! Smile Sorry about the "again, and finally" thing with your P40.. Regarding that; Eyebrows you can always rebuild an airplane.. and putting a bigger motor in it.. to offset a little glue-weight.. is just something that some of us would do...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Been awfully busy lately. Lots of hours at work, and winding down a long part-time military career has kept me from ANY real, quality hobby time. Today I celebrated my lat drill by taking the Mosquito up. The weather was cooperative, but a bit windy. 63 deg, 8 mph steady wins, and absolutely sunny.

The new, bigger tanks afforded me an opportunity to do several wing overs. I'm reluctant to go straight over the too, but as each pass went up, I persist d to increase my up/down angle. Instead of only 20+ laps, I now get 33-36 laps. I forgot how hard this beast pulls when racing downwind, and across the wind on the bottom leg.

In short, a fabulous day to get out of the National Guard, and a pretty day to celebrate the end of my first adult decision 36 years later!

I hope to sling it around tomorrow too! The camera is charging right now so I can record a flight or two.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:55 am

Congratulation on your National Guard completion !! cheers Beer Cheers My Dad was in the Guard along time ago ... Camera should bee charged by now lol! Good to hear the wing/overs are getting better and getting more air time from a tank of fuel !
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:41 am

944_Jim wrote:In short, a fabulous day to get out of the National Guard, and a pretty day to celebrate the end of my first adult decision 36 years later!

Congrats on your service and a good completion on the reserve side. I got my 20 year letter in 2000, transferred to retired reserve in 2001 with 21 years. Am collecting now the retirement since I became 60 in 2014 with all the benefits including health. I know you'll enjoy that part, too.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 am

944_Jim wrote:Bob,
I'd love to see detailed pictures of your engine and tank install. I do seem to remember that you used bigger Enyas! I know this one pulls like a freight train when both engines are at work.

All of those pictures went away when my computer crashed last year, but I can take some new ones, just none of the put-together.  

I remember when I retired after 20 years of active service, feelings of remorse for I loved the service and a feeling of freedom.  Same thing 17 years later when I retired from Federal Civil Service doing essentially what I was doing in the military only with better pay and no deployments.  

But...…….nothing compares with the absolute joy and sense of freedom I felt when I first folded the top down of my newly acquired 1950 Plymouth powder blue convertible on a beautiful fall New Hampshire day on my way to Manchester, New Hampshire's queen city to chase some girls.  16 years old and not a care in the world.  

BHM Mosquito in MS-build - Page 3 1950_p10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Bob I envy you for that James Dean kinda experience in that womanizer convertible.. Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:06 pm

chrome trim rings and Moon hubcaps today are rather pricey.....wish I kept all the various wheel trims we bought in the 60---70s

I even had a set of Cragar custom 10" wide Magnesium wheels wrapped with Mickey Thompson N-50 15s...... if I recall they were 11.5 wide stuffed under my 63 impala

friend had same car with tubbs, narrowed rear end and 12" wide Mag Cragar's with 16" wide Cooper recap drag slicks....

for what it is worth, I was the very first to buy a NoS system from Tacoma Speed Works in 1974 and put on my 1965 289 Ranchero.....went from 14.895 quarter to 12.775 on pump gas in 1975....pretty stout 289 hi po, BW T10 trans, 4:10 station wagon rear

many of you are like WTF fred.... ok sorry but Bob's convertible "get a babe ride" has chrome trims and moons....you young uns need to get a clue....the chrome got Bob laid....not the pedestrian convertible......grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:59 am

balogh wrote:Bob I envy you for that James Dean kinda experience in that womanizer convertible.. Very Happy

I really hope Bob will never have the James Dean driving experience, we'd miss him.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:39 am

dirk gently wrote:
balogh wrote:Bob I envy you for that James Dean kinda experience in that womanizer convertible.. Very Happy

I really hope Bob will never have the James Dean driving experience, we'd miss him.

Thanks guys.  On a good day with the wind at my back I may have gotten 85 mph out of it.  

Still, 1950 - no seat belts, convertible, bias ply tires, no abs, no lane departure, or VSA..what was I thinking.  Smile  But I never had a 1953 Ford pull out in front of me either.

Edit add. Doing that from memory, I had to check...….correction it was a 1950 Ford.....
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:38 am

Cool convertible! I like the baby moons too Cool Do I see headlight visors of some sort or are they just a reflection?

The Rambler ”Termite Edition” STW (parked next to Bob’s ride with a travel trunk on the roof) was probably one of the most un-cool vehicles at the time but certainly would turn heads today, and not away, quite the opposite Very Happy
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 am

KariFS wrote:Cool convertible! I like the baby moons too Cool Do I see headlight visors of some sort or are they just a reflection?

The Rambler ”Termite Edition” STW (parked next to Bob’s ride with a travel trunk on the roof) was probably one of the most un-cool vehicles at the time but certainly would turn heads today, and not away, quite the opposite Very Happy

Yes, chrome visors and guides. The standard NH off the shelf license plate featured my initials and IQ at the time.

Rambler was my Dad's, bought new in 1955. On a stormy windy summer night coming home at 3am after dropping a girl off at her house I put a tree branch right through the radiator. Drove it home, a couple of miles and left Dad a note.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:44 am

...and that’s when Dad decided that it is time for young Robert to get his own wheels lol!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:02 pm

KariFS wrote:...and that’s when Dad decided that it is time for young Robert to get his own wheels lol!

That's the conundrum here, I had my own car and can't imagine why I used Dad's.  Maybe out of gas.

But it doesn't end there.  That winter having traded the Plymouth for a 52 Ford four door sedan I got stuck in the snow parking at midnight, ran home (about four miles) got that same Rambler and went back and rescued the girl that would become my wife.  

Next morning Dad helped me pull out the Ford. He was probably happy to see me off to the Navy about three weeks later.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:50 pm

dirk gently wrote:

I did not mean the dark side of that experience - and also think nobody else misunderstood that Dirk-  but that of a youngster in the 1950-s riding free in an appealing car with the short sleeves of his shirt rolled up and a Dean-like rockabilly hairdo set to attract young female attention. Nothing else....
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:15 pm

Great stories Bob! Stuff happens and we all learn from our (mis)adventures. Kudos for running 4 miles through snow to get the trusty Rambler to rescue the damsel in distress!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next