Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jim won't run ??  Cox_ba12

Jim won't run ??  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:10 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Jim won't run ??  Empty
Live on Patrol

Jim won't run ??

Go down

Jim won't run ??  Empty Jim won't run ??

Post  getback Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:44 pm

I got this JIm Walker .049 and tried to start it the other day , 20% sig popped a couple time OK flip flip flipie Nothing Flood ? needle setting ? 3-6 was what i was trying , blew flood out time or two finally ck. plug (weak( got NEW A-3 plug ) put in / went to 35% no difference ?? Can some one tell me if maybe i was using not enough castor (i have some 15% w/ ext. Cat. ) but didn't try if ?? Here's the set up ! Yes i had it wired WO .  Jim won't run ??  Jim_wa10
Jim won't run ??  Jim_wa12
Jim won't run ??  Jim_wa11
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Jim won't run ??  Empty Re: Jim won't run ??

Post  dckrsn Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Tough call, Eric. We all been there.
I'm guessing you haven't broken
her down for a cleaning, so there
might be some unknowns lurking.
With all you've done so far, you
should have seen some fire.
Hope a guru chimes in with the key.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:40 pm

How's the compression? If the glow-plugs glow bright... I'd check the head "and" plug gaskets. Are you "hand-flipping" the engine? Sometimes.. you need more revs to start an old engine. PM me.. and I'll give more details.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:42 pm

close off needle, make sure plug is bright white/orange, see if it will start off a prime in exhaust port? if so spray bar might have crap in it. you should run a high caster content, but that wouldn't affect starting.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:30 am

HAnd flipping Roddie , the comp. is fair i would say / replaced plug with new A3 . When it did hit it sounded strong and no i have not tore it all the way down just ck'ed the NVA and got her loosened up ?? Mark i did try that got the flood out after some over priming / closed the needle and flippy flippy then exh. prime still nothing . If i have time today i may try and start again , i have recharged my battery for the panel . If that don't work this time i will tear it down and inspect closer >> I like the way it sounded Very Happy I had rather not put the elect finger on it if i had one for 1/2a . Thanks guys i will getback to ya'll Beer Cheers
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:03 am

Getback,

Are you sure you have an .049? I believe that engine was made for Jim Walker but was also sold as the Royal Spitfire .065. They are low compression so need a hot plug and some nitro.

They are reasonable engines for the time they were produced. Keep trying, they DO run. You might, as previously suggested, flush it out and get it to run off primes. I would suggest priming with a drop of fuel on the side of the piston while the piston has the cylinder closed off to prevent flooding.

Here are some Royal Spitfires:

Jim won't run ??  Rs065a10  

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:59 am

Hi Eric, this morning I wrote a clever two paragraph response to your problem only to have it escape to web never-never land when I hit send.

Too bad, it solved all your JW problems but due to my advanced age I can't remember a thing that I wrote. Sad But I will try................

I love those little top hat intake covers, sort of a Howdy Mam tip-of-the-hat when in operation.... I had the same problem with one of my Mossie Enya's. Lot's of flooding and spits and starts but no sustained run throughout the NVA's range.

It took an A/F boil and some NVA alignment to fix it, now it's fine. It would seem that with all that flooding it would clean out the NVA but not always. After the boil I dumped the whole disassembled assembly into a pot of Simple Green and used a variety of brushes to to finish the cleaning process. But most importantly, I ran a fine wire through the needle valve and the central spray hole, then rinsed in clean HOT water and blew everything out with compressed air and reassembled with RemOil.

Then I took special care to ensure that the venturi's spray hole was positioned directly down the intake. I know there has been discussion here about that with some advocating an off center position, but on-center has always worked for me. Ensure your needle's tip in great condition.

The principles are all the same either JW or Enya, you need ignition, compression, intake "timing", and fuel in the proper quantity. If you have all of those your engine should run just fine. But you know all this. Smile

Good luck with it. I haven't tried to run my top hat JW yet.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:02 pm

getback wrote: If i have time today i may try and start again , i have recharged my battery for the panel .

Eric, if your "panel-battery" ever craps-out when you want to bench-run, you can use an automotive-type 12V battery charger (6A+.. not a trickle-charger) without a battery. Connect it directly to the leads of your panel, being careful not to let the connections short-out. Clip them; spread well-apart to a piece of non-conductive material. Usually there's 110V to plug-into nearby when your bench-running. I used to do it all the time. I'm not sure about the "newer" automatic chargers though. They may need to sense an actual battery in the circuit to switch-on. My chargers are old ones.

If you have a 2nd panel.. consider making it a dedicated bench-panel and use a 12V power-supply, powered by AC mains. Save the batteries for your field-box. Find an old (or new..) low-voltage (DC) outdoor lighting transformer and hard-wire it to your panel. Be sure it has a 12V DC output-voltage. I've had my fill of battery-troubles contributing to issues with starting a glow-engine. They're a necessary entity for remote-locations.. but why use them when you don't need to?

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:04 pm

gcb wrote:Getback,

Are you sure you have an .049? I believe that engine was made for Jim Walker but was also sold as the Royal Spitfire .065. They are low compression so need a hot plug and some nitro.

They are reasonable engines for the time they were produced. Keep trying, they DO run. You might, as previously suggested, flush it out and get it to run off primes. I would suggest priming with a drop of fuel on the side of the piston while the piston has the cylinder closed off to prevent flooding.

Here are some Royal Spitfires:

Jim won't run ??  Rs065a10  Geogre I don't know for sure am guessing its a .049 with its size but not meassured the bore ..  Jim won't run ??  Jim_wa13 The one on left is one in question .

George
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:14 pm

Thanks George maybe mix some 35% with extra castor will help it seal .Roddie i dont have another panel but do have other batt,s just need to switch it out the one in it is fair but dont hold a charge as long as it should. ... Bob Thanks for re=posting the solution Very Happy I feel good about the spray bar had cleaned it with carb cleaner and it floods good through there (kept getting air bubbles in the line from the bad set up and syringed it to get them out Laughing) It may have Crap built up in the crankcase , If i can't get it next time i will tear her down !! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Jim won't run ??  Empty Firecracker .065

Post  getback Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:18 am

Ok I forgot i had this info .. http://www.americanjuniorclassics.com/Firebee/firebee_gallery.html Looks to bee a Firecracker .065 that came with the FireBee kit ? I am thinking Monday afternoon will be my next attempt to start with the Tach Rach engines and getting wood for the cool nights were still having and weather all over the board MUST GET FIRE WOOD FIRST ! THEN PLAY Eyebrows
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Jim won't run ??  Empty Jim Walker Wrench ??

Post  getback Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:01 pm

Ok it still wont run needs a deep cleaning when i went back to try again there was Green Ole Nitro coming out the drive plate area , my Question now is .. Is this the wrench for this engine ??  Jim won't run ??  Jim_w_14
Jim won't run ??  Jim_w_13  It wants to fit but there has been activatie in the rear that was slipping sooooo it don't want to just slide in there Mad and don't want to mess up the wrench for sure !! May take some filing ?  Any one know if it the right one ?? Thanks !!  This Site Rocks!

Last edited by getback on Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit title)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:57 am

It looks like the larger hexagon should fit Eric, but if it's slipping with the possibility of causing more damage to a valuable engine I wouldn't push it. I have never seen a wrench like that so I don't know. I have removed those back plates before but don't know exactly how I did it, probably loose to begin with.

I enjoyed that link so much I saved it. Keep at it, should run.

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Eric,

Cleaning out the inside of the case isn't really necessary to make it run. Your problem is nore than likely in the NV/intake area. If it fires on prime and doesn't draw fuel then that is where I would concentrate.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:31 am

Hello again ,Boiled the Jim Walker Firecracker .065 in anti-freeze awhile , Did manage to get the head off this time / still not the back the Wrench just don't want to fit BUT, while i had it off looks like it needs a long plug . I put one in it and bottomed out right at the squish point for comp. The head has a alum. gasket , fitted it all up and mounted the engine back to the board. NOW it is hitting about ever time and did run briefly But is kicking so hard i can't get the chicken stick out the way before it contacts it with a Wop (glad its not my finger) so now i am thinking the comp/timing is off . Don't know if i should add a shim to the plug or the head ?? I am thinking the Head any suggestions ? Thanks , Eric sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down