Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

For the Kids Cox_ba12

For the Kids Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Today at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Today at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Today at 4:32 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:31 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Today at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Yesterday at 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Yesterday at 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Yesterday at 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

For the Kids Empty
Live on Patrol

For the Kids

Go down

For the Kids Empty For the Kids

Post  Kim Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 am

There have been some of these posted at one time or another, but I don't know if there has been a thread started that specifically includes them, so:

For the Kids 2_25

A decade or so ago, I built several of these little catapult gliders, and used a clothes-pin-type device to carry them aloft with the Lazy Bee, releasing them at altitude...some are still out there somewhere!    About the time they were published, I gave a copy of these plans to a buddy of mine, whose daughter became a Catapult Glider Ninja of sorts...building several variants for a science class and putting in a ton of flying.

For the Kids 1_116

For the Kids 2_114

For the Kids 3_114

For the Kids 4_113

For the Kids 5_114

The Egg Carton Glider has been around for a long time, but is STILL lots of fun.  We had a couple events where several of us set up a 'Manufacturing Site', cutting out dozens of these ourselves and with the help of some future aeronautical engineers.  I've still got stacks of egg carton tops stowed in the junk room.

For the Kids 1_117

Got some more stuck away somewhere, and will post them when I find them.

Please feel free to contribute !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

For the Kids Empty Re: For the Kids

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:49 pm

I usually make them up along the way, without really following a detailed drawing. It is more fun that way, especially if I make them together with my nephew, he doesn't have the patience to follow a drawing...

Here is wing design that one can start from for an indoor model. The leading edge of the paper is wrapped around a piece of grass or similar. In this case I used the flower-stems from the chives in the garden. Smile

For the Kids Mall_f10

For the Kids Img_7211

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:49 am

Here's the quickest, easiest glider to pacify the li'l rug rats. Move paper clip for and aft to adjust CG, tape in place.

For the Kids 20170611
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Oh boy! I have a box of business cards and now to visit another office for paper clips
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:15 pm

I have a bunch of outdated cards with my own name in my desk drawer at the office (organization change), and the company has a seemingly unlimited supply of paper clips... Plus there are all the cards from vendor-wannabes too.

Wish it was Monday already lol!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

For the Kids Empty Not just for kids!!!

Post  duke.johnson Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:46 pm

Let's just say, if I would have went and found some papers clips, this is really cool. I mean would be very cool. And if I had a certain architects card with a ruler and grid lines on it. I could fold some nice breaks in this wing and it WOULD fly all the way across my office. https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/17/97/77/61/image10.jpg
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:20 pm

duke.johnson wrote:Let's just say, if I would have went and found some papers clips, this is really cool. I mean would be very cool. And if I had a certain architects card with a ruler and grid lines on it. I could fold some nice breaks in this wing and it WOULD fly all the way across my office. https://i.servimg.com/u/f58/17/97/77/61/image10.jpg

Well.. there you go! Accurately mark and score your dihedrals.. attach a paper-clip and Bob's your Auntie! Laughing (heard that reference in a vid-thread that Rusty posted recently.. https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10933-boltr-most-interesting-machinist-tool-man-i-know)

Rewind Roddie.. before I was connected to the internet.. I sourced some Bill Dean drawings for some VERY cool models that I would classify as "For the Kids"... if you were a kid 30 years ago.

For the Kids Bill_d11
For the Kids Bill_d13

The models in the above-referenced book are simple.. and would provide HOURS of fun for a grandparent to spend with a grandchild. I say that.. because most grandparents in "our" realm.. had at least some exposure to building action-models. Models that flew when "chucked".. whether a glider or rubber-band powered.. a boat with a wind-up or pop-pop engine. A "sail-boat" makes an awesome model.. and need-not be complicated.. the same for a simple glider-type airplane.

There are paper-airplane designs that are absolutely terrific. SurferKris (Krister) mentioned one that he builds.. and there are many more. As easy as making a few folds to a sheet of standard copy-paper can provide hours of fun.. and not just for the kids!

I've posted pics of this paper-airplane design before.. but here it is again. Build it.. and have some fun!

For the Kids Dsc00810
For the Kids Dsc00811
For the Kids Dsc00812
For the Kids Dsc00813
For the Kids Dsc00814
For the Kids Dsc00815
For the Kids Dsc00816

Fold the nose back up to just short of the previous fold-lines.. then fold the main structure in half to form the right and left sides.

For the Kids Dsc00817

Crease two 90 degree wing-folds from nose to tail.. to establish the fuselage.. enough for your fingers to grip the center. 1/2" to 3/4" is fine.

For the Kids Dsc00818
For the Kids Dsc00819

That's your basic airframe. It looks like an airplane.. but there's a little more work to do.. a couple of wing-tip stabilizer-folds..

For the Kids Dsc00820

and then cutting with scissors (or tearing.. on the fly..) of twin-flaps into both sides of the trailing-edge... equidistant.. about 1" in width.. and 1/4" in depth.

For the Kids Dsc00821
For the Kids Dsc00822

This is the cheapest, easiest and most fun you can have with a piece of 8.5" x 11" paper if your into FF model-airplanes! Plain-paper will get wet.. so if there's dew on a grass landing-field.. it will shorten the life-span of the model. Dry-conditions make for unlimited fun! Don't be surprised if it catches a thermal and lands where you can't reach.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Kim, for some time I’ve been trying to collect the “For the Tenderfoot” articles from American Aircraft Modeler, but I have only managed to collect 26 28 of the plans/articles.  They were great articles with included plans for hand and catapult launch gliders, rubbber Free Flight planes, 1/2A and 1/4A CL planes, and even FF helicopters.  Here’re a couple of simple ones that could be built by a kid in a couple of hours:

http://www.airplanesandrockets.com/airplanes/bonanza-mustang-jan-1971-aam.htm

For the Kids Bonanza-mustang-plans-jan-1971-aam-1200x785

If someone printed a book or made a CD with all the "For the Tenderfoot" plans and articles in it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

The Simpleton Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down