Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? Cox_ba12

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by Ken Cook Today at 3:56 pm

» need info on this
by crankbndr Today at 3:53 pm

» Post your Older books
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:49 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 12:33 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by rsv1cox Today at 12:17 pm

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by lla Today at 11:15 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 9:00 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by rdw777 Today at 8:51 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 8:30 am

» "SOLD OUT" Cox .020 silencers -- currently
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? Empty
Live on Patrol

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works?

Go down

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? Empty Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works?

Post  balogh Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:21 am

Just a crazy idea...I know the resonance by tuning depends on the wavelength/frequency of gases in the pipe fitting/being a harmonic of the engine rpm, but thought this 049 pipe could still work on a 09??? The opening at the pipe end may be too small for the exhaust gases of the larger engine?

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? 20171114
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? Empty Re: Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works?

Post  getback Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:35 am

I think that would bee defeating the purpose of the tuned pipe with a muffler in front ? If you could mount it correctly it may overheat the engine !!?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? Empty Re: Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works?

Post  MauricioB Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:30 am

How are you dear friend? ... Seeing your disposition, I tell you that this is not going to work for you, on the contrary you will harm the engine, even as Eric says, it will raise the temperature.
As you know, you have to put an elbow to place the pipe, or leave the original escape only.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:03 am

Stock set up:  
Queen Bee .074
New engine broken in with 2oz of fuel thus far
Exhaust Timing is 155 degs.

Profi pipe on cut down HQ prop 6x4 to 5x4
Static 19,379 rpm / .133hp / 99.22w / 10.7oz thrust / 74 mph
Queen Bee 1.2cc / .074 cu. in.

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? Imag3710

Black tube goes into the muffler, bolts go thru the black tube to help hold it in place,  black tube is
vented to match the exhaust port of the Cox muffler.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:07 am

Thanks Brad, I got it....neat solution...did you have to widen the exhaust end, or the 074 is not quite a big jump from the 049 size yet? Do you think even an 09 could somehow work with the profi tuned pipe?

These stock mufflers fit the engine rather loose and therefore the backpressure is lost from the pipe unless you seal the exhaust neck with an Oring pulled on the cylinder..how did you make it gas-tight around thre cylinder? The black ring on top of the muffler is also rather loose to seal against the backpressure...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:20 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Stock set up:  
Queen Bee .074
New engine broken in with 2oz of fuel thus far
Exhaust Timing is 155 degs.

Profi pipe on cut down HQ prop 6x4 to 5x4
Static 19,379 rpm / .133hp / 99.22w / 10.7oz thrust / 74 mph
Queen Bee 1.2cc / .074 cu. in.

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? Imag3710

Black tube goes into the muffler, bolts go thru the black tube to help hold it in place,  black tube is
vented to match the exhaust port of the Cox muffler.

Green, Green, for you!....excellent solution friend! Good to have you here! Thumbs Up
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:25 am

MauricioB wrote:How are you dear friend? ... Seeing your disposition, I tell you that this is not going to work for you, on the contrary you will harm the engine, even as Eric says, it will raise the temperature.
As you know, you have to put an elbow to place the pipe, or leave the original escape only.

Mauricio, Eric,

I tend to agree with you, the profi tuned pipe designed for 049 (and 074?) size engines may be too much of a choke for the 09, but as seen, Brad seems to have managed to adjust it to at least a 074 which is somewhere midway between a 049 and 09.

The challenge - apart from the too small hole at the pipe end for a 09 - is how to make the muffler gas tight i.e. not to lose the backpressure from the tuned pipe.

I pulled already an  O ring to the cylinder neck - primarily to stop spent castor from flowing form the muffler where it accumulates, into the engine compartment of the plane:

Stock muffler+ tuned pipe on a TD09..any chance this combo works? Oringe10

But I wonder how the muffler top ring will seal around the cylinder wall?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:45 am

Be honest i have never seen or held one of those mufflers /// How about some Hi temp. silicone ?? A bead to seal at the top (( i know it sounds messy but a thin bead will bee all it will need > Turkey
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:17 pm

Thank you Mauricio!!

Engine displacements from .6cc to 1.2cc will get the lion's share of it's design.
It was designed to provide max boost for .8cc /1cc engines

You can use it for 1.5cc as it will provide some boost if done correctly. The benefits with
your particular plane is oil control and factors such as sound and looks. The pipe's stinger
can be reduced by 5mm to help reduce back pressure allowing the larger displacement
to breath. Long stingers for winter shorter stingers in the summer was / is one ideology.

I would not touch that pipe unless you have a custom machined aluminum header made
for your TD .09. My effort with the QB was only to dabble in to what is possible to boost
performance with that particular engine. Indicators show a proper header pipe would be
worth the cost if so inclined to have a QB on steroids.

A custom header should block one exhaust port promoting all function through a single port.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down