Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

fishing line to use for control line Cox_ba12

fishing line to use for control line Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by Eddy Today at 6:48 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

fishing line to use for control line Empty
Live on Patrol

fishing line to use for control line

Go down

fishing line to use for control line Empty fishing line to use for control line

Post  oldguy Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:46 pm

Is this the stuff some are using to fly their 1/2A's with? Can you use it to fly bigger control line planes?
What lb test should I use for 1/2A and jr size planes .15?
Thanks
Jim

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Spectra-Fiber-Braided-Fishing/dp/B000SHOYOS?th=1&psc=1
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

fishing line to use for control line Empty Re: fishing line to use for control line

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:10 pm

Jim the answer is yes. I fly 1/2A combat and use 30 lb test high vis Spiderwire. Line diameter from 10 lb test to 30 lb test is essentially the same. 30lb test is similar to .012" steels. Many sport fliers are using 10 lb test for Cox equipment, I use 30 lb due to high powered ball bearing 1/2A's. I use 30 lb to fly .15 sized planes like your Streak when the engines are Fox's, OS Fp's, etc. I use 80 lb test for high powered ball bearing F2D engines . I was using 80 lb test for .25 sized sport flying, I found this to become chaffed at the leadout guide and lines broke. At this point my 60' lines were cut down to 52' for .15 size flying. When I fly .25 combat, AMA requires 100 lb test or .018 steels. I use what works for me which is the 30lb for .15 sport flying. I can't say without looking it up if that's acceptable by AMA standards but I will say from my testing 30 lb Spectra has the same breaking strength as .012's. Here is where it becomes a bit tricky. AMA mandates the use of Spectra, this would be the Power Pro Braid. IT MUST BE MADE IN THE USA, it can't be the Power Pro Braid made in China. The Chinese version is very poor quality and will fail and is commonly found on Ebay.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

fishing line to use for control line Empty Re: fishing line to use for control line

Post  oldguy Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Hey thanks for that information Ken. I fly for fun/sport no competition flying.
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:01 pm

Kens advice is good. I too use a braided line, however, mine is NOT hi-vis. I fly only by myself at the cottage, so it is not a big deal, and this is what I have onhand for fishing so I used it. If I had to go out and buy some now for this purpose I would buy hi-vis.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:45 pm

I use Spectra for all my 1/2A stuff. I use the #10 test line since I just sport fly. I can tell the difference in drag between 10# and 20# when I fly.

The Fishy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Ken Cook wrote:               Jim the answer is yes. I fly 1/2A combat and use 30 lb test high vis Spiderwire. Line diameter from 10 lb test to 30 lb test is essentially the same. 30lb test is similar to .012" steels. Many sport fliers are using 10 lb test for Cox equipment, I use 30 lb due to high powered ball bearing 1/2A's. I use 30 lb to fly .15 sized planes like your Streak when the engines are Fox's, OS Fp's, etc. I use 80 lb test for high powered ball bearing F2D engines . I was using 80 lb test for .25 sized sport flying, I found this to become chaffed at the leadout guide and lines broke. At this point my 60' lines were cut down to 52' for .15 size flying. When I fly .25 combat, AMA requires 100 lb test or .018 steels. I use what works for me which is the 30lb for .15 sport flying. I can't say without looking it up if that's acceptable by AMA standards but I will say from my testing 30 lb Spectra has the same breaking strength as .012's. Here is where it becomes a bit tricky. AMA mandates the use of Spectra, this would be the Power Pro Braid. IT MUST BE MADE IN THE USA, it can't be the Power Pro Braid made in China. The Chinese version is very poor quality and will fail and is commonly found on Ebay.

Is this the stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Spiderwire-1339718-P-Braided-Stealth-Superline/dp/B00LDYM7QC/ref=pd_sbs_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00S4SP0JQ&pd_rd_r=RZEGXFZCJ3FVVWM4MMCZ&pd_rd_w=ZzjEP&pd_rd_wg=4sXTn&refRID=RZEGXFZCJ3FVVWM4MMCZ&th=1&psc=1
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Jim, that's what I use for 1/2A combat. I use the 30lb test, the 10 lb test would be fine with lower powered 1/2A's, I just would up the lb rating to 30 lb if your going to be using it for .15 size planes. There's so many different varieties which makes it difficult. This why AMA spec'd a certain knot and a certain type. I was using Spiderwire because I couldn't find the Spectra Power Pro in 30 lb high vis like you can nowadays. You had to purchase a lot of yardage.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  oldguy Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:45 pm

Ken Cook wrote:                 Jim, that's what I use for 1/2A combat. I use the 30lb test, the 10 lb test would be fine with lower powered 1/2A's, I just would up the lb rating to 30 lb if your going to be using it for .15 size planes. There's so many different varieties which makes it difficult. This why AMA spec'd a certain knot and a certain type. I was using Spiderwire because I couldn't find the Spectra  Power Pro in 30 lb  high vis like you can nowadays. You had to purchase a lot of yardage.

Wanted to make sure on the type. I will buy the 30lb also for the .15's.
jim
oldguy
oldguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:55 pm

Dyneema and Spectra are not the same thing.  Spectra is a Honeywell product produced in the USA, and Dyneema is a product of Royal DSM, produced in (or licenced from) Europe.  From what I've read in the past, even though they're both made of Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene, the manufacturing process is slightly different and the Dyneema stretches fractionally more than Spectra.  The AMA specifies Spectra brand for control line flying.

https://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Braided-Fishing-Hi-Vis-Yellow/dp/B000SHQ89W/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1515455581&sr=1-2&keywords=power%2Bpro%2Bspectra%2Byellow&th=1&psc=1

Never, EVER buy Spectra from eBay.  There are Chinese companies selling counterfeit Spectra, even including the "Made in USA" label on the box.

All the above being said, I've never used Spiderwire. I've always used Spectra. As Ken demonstrates, you can get by using Spiderwire. I've just not used it because of the "Common Wisdom" that I've read, mostly on Stunt Hangar.

The Stickler Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:56 pm

I buy on ebay. Look for sellers with a real storefront in the USA for things like this. Price won't necessarily be better, but availability is sometimes the driving force.

Also, the ama rules dont recognize less than 20# test. Not a big issue really, as very few here are flying these small things at events.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Pretty much all the hidollar fishing supply stores have the stuff just may not find the Hi-vis until you shop around , i got mine at wally world and then Gander mtn. , witch just closed but there are other Bass shops and sort ...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down