Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

where to buy balsa wood Cox_ba12

where to buy balsa wood Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

where to buy balsa wood Empty
Live on Patrol

where to buy balsa wood

Go down

where to buy balsa wood Empty where to buy balsa wood

Post  RK Flyer Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:15 am

Where is everyone buying their wood these days? I canceled a order from Sig because it was still on back order after 3 weeks & I was tired of waiting!

RK Flyer
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

where to buy balsa wood Empty Re: where to buy balsa wood

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:24 am

RK Flyer wrote:Where is everyone buying their wood these days? I canceled a order from Sig because it was still on back order after 3 weeks & I was tired of waiting!

RK Flyer

Well, that's bad news as I am putting together a SIG order now. We are down to just one local hobby store and their balsa selection is not the best.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby in your area?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

where to buy balsa wood Empty Balsa wood

Post  RK Flyer Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:34 am

Yes I buy from Hobby Lobby in small amounts but I want to make a large order ($75- $100), I think that's why Sig had trouble filling it. Too many different sizes & shapes.

RK Flyer
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 am

These guys had a nice display at the Toledo Show I went to a couple of years back. I have not ordered anything from them, cause I haven’t depleted my existing stock, yet.

https://www.nationalbalsa.com/

Their business card was a piece of balsa, with their logo and address laser cut into it.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:56 am

I haven't tried these people and looks like there sold out of TE/LE and some strips The hobby must bee picking up Huh... http://www.rcfoam.com/balsa-wood-supplies---build-your-own-rc-balsa-model-airplane-kits/?sort=recommended&page=2 and there is http://www.balsawoodinc.com/ ive not try them .. These people have stock!! http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/1126.htm
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

where to buy balsa wood Empty Sig and Stunt Hanger Hobby are my most frequent places

Post  fredvon4 Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:33 am

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:35 pm

Some one mentioned shopping at "Craft and Sewing" stores, for similar items that we use in our hobby. My wife frequents a factory "Outlet" store for "Notions Marketing"  They have a weekly e-mail telling whats on "special" for the week and a Special Word you can us to get 50% off one Item when you check out.  She bought these for me cause she knows like balsa.
15 sheets - 3/32 x 4 x 36  $7.50 less 50% = $3.25
20 sheets - 1/8 x 3 x 36   $1.00  less 50% =  $0.50 ( I think it should have been $1.00/sheet, but the whole bundle was marked as one)

where to buy balsa wood 00310
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Marleysky wrote:Some one mentioned shopping at "Craft and Sewing" stores, for similar items that we use in our hobby. My wife frequents a factory "Outlet" store for "Notions Marketing"  They have a weekly e-mail telling whats on "special" for the week and a Special Word you can us to get 50% off one Item when you check out.  She bought these for me cause she knows like balsa.
15 sheets - 3/32 x 4 x 36  $7.50 less 50% = $3.25
20 sheets - 1/8 x 3 x 36   $1.00  less 50% =  $0.50 ( I think it should have been $1.00/sheet, but the whole bundle was marked as one)

where to buy balsa wood 00310

"THAT" my good friend.. is a SCORE!!! Tower Hobbies has balsawood. Years ago I bought an assortment/bundle of 3" x 36" sheets in varying thicknesses. The grain-types varied.. and overall.. it was a good assortment of nice straight quality wood.

Here's a current link to their 20-sheet assortment/bundle for $24.99 +shipping.. Scroll-down to see the sheet-sizes/quantity included.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJD37&P=ML

Naturally.. you're at the mercy of whoever "picked" the stock for the bundle with regard to the grain-type... but unless you're building contest models.. there's a good amount of wood there for the money.

I see balsawood (Midwest kiosks) frequently in my craft-store travels. Unlike hobby-shops; "craft-stores" are alive and well. The Midwest kiosks usually consist of balsawood, basswood and spruce. They also "may" have birch plywood stock; usually on the bottom of the rack. You may be surprised at what you can find at the craft-store.. for model-building materials.

I bought a small digital postal-scale a few years ago. Mine is a "Dymo"-brand (remember the label-makers?) I bought it at Walmart on the cheap. If you're looking for really lightweight wood.. invest in a scale. Bring it with you when you go wood-shopping.... and "hand-pick" each piece of wood. Select the grain-type.. check for warps.. and weigh the sheets. The "grams" setting on my scale has a higher resolution than the ounces. You'll be surprised at the weight-difference between the sheets.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:26 pm

I last purchased from the craft section of a large local hardware store. Quality seemed good. Because in craft work it needs to have an attractive finish, grain and quality looked pretty good. Fairly light but not pulpy. I looked up the supplier and it seems that they sell the same grade for both craft and model building. No choice in weight or density.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:32 pm

We actually have the obligatory Mid West rack here in the Home Depot, Lowe's, and Hobby lobby but i think other guys find the good stuff first..... grrr.....note to self ask when the delivery is scheduled

over the years I got plenty of what I was looking for locally but it is truly hit n miss
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down