Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Cox_ba12

Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995

Go down

Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Empty Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:54 pm

This article has been 'setting on the shelf' on the .049 Collectors Yahoo Group for years and thought it would be of interest.

Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Hopup110
Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Hopup210
Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Hopup310
Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Hopup410
Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Hopup510
Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Hopup610
Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Hopup710
Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Hopup810
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Empty Re: Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995

Post  NEW222 Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:07 am

Great, thank you. More new reading material to print off. I know I am on the FB page, but had honestly forgot about Yahoo groups, and those I was on....Thanks again for bringing this to light.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Empty Re: Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:54 am

Quite a bit of reading there. Some stuff I agree with, some I don't. I guess it comes down to personal experimentation and experience. I don't think there's any way I would not use a tank to case gasket as suggested. Regardless of how well "lapped" the tank is to the case. Also, the idea of over-tightening the ball socket and then lapping it with jeweller's rouge repeatedly doesn't sit right with me. I can't see how you could ever be certain to have completely removed all abrasive material from a tight socket. Also, zero clearance means less opportunity for oil ingress. I'd also suggest that any clearances at cold cannot be expected to remain the same at operating temperature.

Like any of these type of articles, read and absorb it, scrutinize it, compare it to other's suggestions and make your own mind up.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:56 am

Mark, thanks for reposting this here. Don’t think I have seen it on yahoo pages, so it’s good to show up here. Lots of tips and tricks to use as needed for better performance. Like Rod said, read and absorb, use what you feel will work.
This Site Rocks!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:03 pm

Thanks Mark
Has anyone tried blocking an exhaust port and cut a booster port in that section? He had that listed as a mod to try. Flying Flying
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:53 pm

There is a lot of good stuff in your “files” section in Yahoo. This was a PDF I saved years ago, do you know how long the files will be available? Maybe I should go save more before they are gone.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Engine Hop-Up by Hal Howard 1995 Empty Single exhaust port cylinder in a Cox reed valve

Post  Paulgibeault Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:07 pm

coxaddict wrote:Thanks Mark
Has anyone tried blocking an exhaust port and cut a booster port in that section? He had that listed as a mod to try. Flying Flying

YES! Joe Klause (Mr. K/K) used to offer what he called Schneurle ported piston/cylinder assemblies. The advertising claimed they put out more power
and they sold for a higher price due to the port grinding work involved done to blank cylinders.

HOWEVER, myself ( & others) have found that this 3 port single exhaust arrangement did not produce any more power than a good TeeDee assembly.
My best mouse race time with a K/K Schnuerle cylinder assembly was 5:07 for a 100 lap final. Although nothing to sneeze at & very competitive
(that race was a new NW record at the time), it was not really quite as good as my best regular ported cylinder motors. Those regularly flew under
5 minutes for a final with a record best of 4:22 which still holds today after 19 years!

So although it looks really skookum, when the rubber hits the road (in air flight testing) it didn't offer a speed advantage. Further, to my knowledge a Sch. cylinder
engine has not set any of the AMA Class 1 Mouse Racing records. Such a cylinder was preferred in TeeDee powered piped 1/2A speed models of the day,
but that is a whole different story.

One interesting finding with my 3 ported single exhaust cylinder assembly is that there is a noticeable increase in FUEL ECONOMY. Even with a huge .093"
venturi, I was disqualified in a race last year due to flying a 50 lap heat WITHOUT a pitstop. Although very unexpected, maybe that means that the performance potential is there, buy my particular tuning was in error... In other words, if fully tuned.....then MAYBE! I'd be curious to hear about other users of a Schneurle
ported Cox engine.

Cheers,

Paul
Paulgibeault
Paulgibeault
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down