Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Cox_ba12

Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Empty
Live on Patrol

Too Windy To Fly Today, So...

Go down

Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Empty Too Windy To Fly Today, So...

Post  Tee Bee Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:04 pm

I spent some time working on my Cox engine display shelf today.  The engines displayed here are some of the favorites in my collection, the result of many years of collecting and using this junk.  Some of these are never-run OEMs.  Some are restored old hand-me-downs.  Some are modded for performance and aesthetics.  Some are well-used favorites which have provided many fun flights on airplanes over the years.  The clear acrylic display stands are meant for displaying minerals, fossils, etc. and can be found affordably on ebay in packs of 25.  Thanks to rsv1cox(Bob) for the suggestion!  I spent some time today drilling them to mount the engines and moving more engines from storage and onto the display shelf so I can enjoy them more.  Everything also got a good dusting and spiffing up.  This is the result of the weather being too windy to fly today on my day off. Smile Supposed to be windier tomorrow, so I guess I'll take a motorcycle out for a bit.

Waiting for things to calm so I can fly Troy

Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Image162
Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Image160
Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Image159
Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Image161
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Empty Re: Too Windy To Fly Today, So...

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:53 pm

Small Cox Logo Wonderful job Troy, look at all those shinny engines! Small Cox Logo

Yessa been windy here too just that time of year snab nabbit!
Good time of year for a fast TD 15 plane able to slice and dice that wind up!

Easter Bunny Cant Resist The Bunn Easter Bunny
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:18 am

Looks great Troy, colorful and well done. Those plastic display stands really stabilize those round bottomed engines.

I'm from an era when you could walk into a hobby shop and buy those little gems for the package price, and I often did. To bad I didn't have the foresight to buy two and put one away.

At least two are sitting in trees somewhere in New Hampshire, victims of intentional or unintentional fly-aways. One, I chased with my car until I lost it, or it lost me.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:41 am

Good Job on the clean up and display Troy , you got some colorful engines for sure ! Is that ole timer in the last center an Elfin Diesel? Easter Bunny Nice!!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:56 am

Thanks guys! The non-Cox that snuck in there is an original Deezil diesel. About 10yrs ago, a neighbor saw me out test running some Cox engines and came over to check it out. He said his dad had built FF model planes in the 50s/60s and he told me about this engine that he would run mounted on a 2x4 to entertain the kids from time to time. A few days later, he had found the engine and wanted me to have it. I made the little stand and it's been on that shelf ever since. It's complete except for the fuel tank. The little Norvel that was there for years got booted to make room for more Coxes but the Deezil stays!
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:25 pm

The display saga continues. Being proud of all the shiny little powerplants, I quickly realized that I couldn't really appreciate them in the relatively dark corner of the room. On the way home from work today I pulled the motorcycle into Lowe's and picked up a LED light bar designed to mount under kitchen cabinets. Drilled a couple of holes, routed the cord, and BAM!!! This shelf is now the brightest spot in the living room. I bet my wife will be ecstatic when she gets home. Affraid or WOW!

Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Image164
Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Image163
Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Image165
Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Image166
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Tee Bee wrote: I bet my wife will be ecstatic when she gets home.

Yeah...the babes always go crazy over this stuff...

Too Windy To Fly Today, So... Beatle10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:46 pm

Troy did you get these engines already anodized by the previous owner (I do not think blue and purple were stock colors from the factory), or have you anodized them? Either way, they are awesome. Andras.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:02 am

The anodized engines are from diferent sources.  Some of them were done by a guy named Jim Price from Oregon.  He loves to polish, anodize, and such to make them purty.  I bought a couple from him outright and then ended up sending a few to him for the full custom treatment.  I think he may attend SMALL this year to see what all the fuss is about and to meet up in person.  Anyway, some of the others were built/custimized and colored by Tim Wiltse many years ago when he was still around the hobby.  He built some fast running and good looking Cox engines at the time.  His rear rotary engine never really lived up to the performance expectation we had hoped for but his highly modded reedies certainly did.  The purple-cased engine was one of his reedies, a Skyline FX 049.  It has many hours of flying on it but the piston/cylinder fit finally wore down.  It powered my old Skydrill for many flying sessions.  It still makes a nice display and I have one more NIB, a blue one, that he made for me around 2008.  It will eventually end up on a plane. He black Medallion .09, one of Jim Price's pieces, is earmarked for a Sig Hummer whenever I get it built.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:53 am

Very nice display of engines Troy!! I'm waiting on "mild weather" actually.. so I can paint my latest builds. It's 50F today.. but there are flurries in the forecast for later-on..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:27 pm

The 20mph wind gusts have been the biggest issue here. I'm leaving town this weekend so I'm sure the weather will be great for flying while I'm gone. Smile
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:30 pm

I had some dealing with Jim Price very nice person Vet i am sure and gives to the wounded warriors funding . He gave me a bunch of free bees and mad it sound like he wanted to do counseling with me or something anyway i didn't quite get it and did a not so good reply ( not nasty ) but have not talk to him since but do see his engines for sale > I regret what had happened but life goes on . Easter Bunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Tee Bee Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:50 pm

I've never met him. Bought a couple of engines from him which led to some interesting dialogue. He seemed interested in my Cox powered planes, builds, and flying vids. Said most of his custom work ends up with collectors who never run them. Wants to see more of his stuff actually flying. Sent him a couple of engines for him to work over. The Medallion .15 was done exactly how I wanted. I gave him artistic freedom on the Med .09, requesting it just look "bright". It turned out nice with purple and gold. He says he's hoping to travel from OR to Little Rock, AR with his son this summer to attend SMALL. He's been talking about possibly machining some heads and carb setups for Cox engines. Asked if I would be interested in some beta testing. We'll see what he comes up with.
Tee Bee
Tee Bee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down