Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_ba12

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 8:53 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 8:47 am

» Tired of it all…
by Coxfledgling Today at 8:23 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 7:29 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 12:53 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 12:36 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 1:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Empty
Live on Patrol

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea

Go down

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Empty Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Having no real way to physically secure the postage stamp engines to my mainstay acrylic display stands, roddie suggested cutting a profile out of the vertical stands back plate.

Tried it. I used an empty case to trace an outline using a fine tipped Sharpie on the plate, then cut it out on a band saw and trimmed using some jewelers files. Works, if you leave a tight fit. Somewhat labor intensive but worth the effort.

Test piece, later efforts should prove better.....This one is a little kilted. Sad

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_ps11

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_ps10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Empty Re: Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea

Post  Jason_WI Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:05 pm

If it's just display stands for postage stamps I can 3D print something similar to the Carl Goldberg mount. Just need some time to draw it up in CAD and print it out of PLA.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Empty Re: Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea

Post  NEW222 Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:14 pm

It looks good. Just another possibility that I see, although may not be feasible. Also, this method would slightly alter the factory screws. Just looking, would it be possible to mark out, possibly with a template, the screw locations, drill holes in the plastic, then install the whole engine in front using longer screws to the crankcase? It would only require 2 screws to hold it in place, and I would use standoffs like mounting an electric motor. As well, I would then just tape the 2 or 4 original screws to the mount so they did not get lost. Just sitting here and saw another possibility. Smile
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:14 pm

And then again, if Jason is willing to print something for you, that would definately be the best!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:28 am

NEW222 wrote:And then again, if Jason is willing to print something for you, that would definately be the best!

I had thought of that, sandwiching the postage stamp and the case between the stand and cutting screws to length but discounted it for some reason, maybe the screw issue. But I will try it and see how it turns out.

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_ps12

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_ps14

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_ps13

But, the Goldberg mount sure makes a better looking and less laborious application. If Jason is game, so am I. Maybe others like Tee Bee would be interested too. I would gladly pay Jason for his time and materials. Don't know about copyright/licensing issues though.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:52 am

Now I know why I decided against the sandwich method.  It's that big hole necessary in the center..Sad

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_mi14

Coming in from the back is possible, but as you mentioned standoff's would be required.  

How these have multiplied in a couple of weeks.

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_en34

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_mi15

About nine more to do, then it's MG time.

I'm not sure what I have accomplished other than rescuing them from being knocked around in boxes.  Makes them easier to fondle and identify.  

Nothing special here.  Bee engines mostly.  When I'm through I will try to ID the different cylinders, I already know I have most of the numbers. 1 thru... etc.  and inventory the cases from early to late.  Also the back plates.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 pm

And I had always thought them little bunny rabbits were quick to reproduce..... Shocked They all look very good. Keep up the good work. and thanks for sharing. It is always nice to see a newly cleaned up rescue engine!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:54 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

I'm not sure what I have accomplished other than rescuing them from being knocked around in boxes.  Makes them easier to fondle and identify.  

Nothing special here.  Bee engines mostly.  When I'm through I will try to ID the different cylinders, I already know I have most of the numbers. 1 thru... etc.  and inventory the cases from early to late.  Also the back plates.

I'm envious! You've accomplished a great deal of work. They're all so nice and clean too.. I bought that little crock-pot cooker, some ethylene-glycol and made a strainer-basket for it, months ago. Have I put it to use yet? Embarassed nope...

On the contrary Robert.... I'd say that every engine that's complete and capable of running.. is special.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:41 pm

Dang it roddie! You just did it again! I had just put an old engine (Spitzy .045) in my little crock pot, but I always use wire or zip ties to put things together in one place. The first couple I did, I just threw everything into the pot and fished it out as I needed it or could get it. I really like your wire basket idea. I will have to look for one that would fit well. Thank you for the great tip again.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks, I'm not into guarantees, but I bet every one will run and run well. Nothing contest grade here though.

I was very careful about using either new or good condition parts, gaskets, reeds, and pick-up tubes. Careful positioning of the pick-up tube and reed is necessary in these little engines. In the past I have found many of the reed e clips wrapped around the connecting rod or worse. Ensuring that little clip is properly snapped into position is critical.

Not really Franken, but close to the last one I have to put together, although I have some special stuff coming from Matt.

Proof of concept, testing roddies postage stamp mount idea Cox_re17

New parts except for the cylinder, case, and drive washer. The case is the same one pictured above with the postage stamp. Damaged but it polished out well. I believe it's the case that was on the white plastic support that I sent to Jason.

Picture doesn't do it justice, looks better than the picture. Red 5cc tank and new parts are from Bernie.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down