Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. Cox_ba12

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. Empty
Live on Patrol

PT19 external fuel tank conversion.

Go down

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. Empty PT19 external fuel tank conversion.

Post  roddie Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:14 pm

A new thread on an old issue.. My PT19 is among the mid 1990's versions; equipped with a Cox .049 "Product-Engine".. but preceding the Sure-Start engine.

My version of this model, had a Cox .049 reed-valve "Product Engine". In the mid 1990's; a Cox .049 Product engine consisted of (generally) the current Cox .049 reed-valve crankcase.. fitted with the 2nd generation product backplate/carb.. which utilized an external fuel-tank/supply. This was a continued effort by Cox.. to produce a model-engine that could be fitted/retro-fitted into existing/future designs. By this time; Cox likely noticed that there were other modeling-companies (Goldberg for instance..)who were producing adapting-mounts for the earlier 190/290 product engines.. allowing these otherwise "misfit-engines" engines to have a "second-life" in a Goldberg balsa-wood kit-model. Cox eventually "wised-up" and re-engineered their product backplate/carburetor to have mounting-provisions (4 screw-holes) for a standard 1/2-A engine size radial-firewall.

My "first" experience with the Cox PT19 Flight Trainer was "really wonderful".. because my "dad" bought the model.. and brought it to my house as a "surprise" one day. I was in my early "30's". The Cox "kit" had everything needed to get the model in the air.. for a few flights.. at least. I had shown a past interest in his control-line flying.. so my dad "passed the torch".. so to speak.

To move forward... Rolling Eyes I wanted to give a report on what I'm doing, to retro-fit an alternate fuel-tank to this model.

Here's a few photos of a Sullivan #435 1oz. clunk-tank fitted in-between the fuse-walls of the models' nose.

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. 20180823
PT19 external fuel tank conversion. 20180824

I'll admit.. that it's difficult to see how the Sullivan tank integrates into the airframe here.. but when the "wing" is anchored into position; it (the wing..) provides a barrier that should prevent the tank from interfering with the model's bellcrank. In addition; this retro-fitted tanks' position will be "nearer" the models' center of gravity.

Last edited by roddie on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. Empty Re: PT19 external fuel tank conversion.

Post  Kim Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:26 pm

Well, I held a 3/8 oz Brodak tank inside the fuse of a PT, and it looks like it'd be easy to mount in there. You'd have a bit more flying time than an 8 cc tank.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. Empty Re: PT19 external fuel tank conversion.

Post  roddie Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:24 am

I've been "messing" with the Sullivan SS-1 #435 1 oz. clunk-tank.. and it's not going to be an "easy" retrofit. There's plenty of space for a comparable "gravity-feed"/roundy-round fuel-tank, like the one that was designed for this model. I'll come up with something.. I want to fly this airplane for this year's event.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:30 pm

Four and a half years ago.. YIKES! Where does the time go??? Shocked

Last weekend was "give your beloved aero-modeling hobby some LOVE Roddie" weekend. So I'm indexing my planes and come to the PT19. Most of my little airplanes hang from their lead-outs via mini bungee cords over a drain-pipe halfway across the cellar ceiling.

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. 20230116

So... the rubber-bands holding the engine-mount/landing gear into the nose.. are failing. I removed the model to the bench for a little inspection.

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. 20180919

A while back.... ?? Huh... I did a bellcrank mod... and now notice that the screw doesn't go as deep as with the OEM bellcrank.. causing it to protrude into the wing-seat.

I chose to bore a clearance-hole in the wing, for the protruding screw-head and washer.

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. 20230117
PT19 external fuel tank conversion. 20230118

The wing seats properly now.

PT19 external fuel tank conversion. 20230119

The fuel-tank issue still needs to be addressed.... Rolling Eyes all in good time. I gave her a little love. Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down