Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Cox_ba12

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 4:54 pm

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:35 pm

» Tired of it all…
by Coxfledgling Today at 2:23 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 1:29 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 6:53 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 6:36 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Today at 5:51 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 7:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:03 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:31 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Empty
Live on Patrol

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey

Go down

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Empty Vintage combat festival in North Jersey

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 am

I attended the vintage meet today with my son and had a real good time. This year the guys decided to see who could fly the AMA pattern the fastest and cleanest. I didn't stick around to see where we scored but it wasn't as simple as it sounds. These planes generally don't carry enough fuel to do the pattern so we kept 1 lap level flight between maneuvers and reduced the 6 required inverted level laps to 4. In addition, maneuvers could be done at 60 deg elevations. There was quite a turnout.

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Dscn2812

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Dscn2813
    The fence was lined with planes from one end to the other, quite impressive to say the least

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Dscn2814

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Dscn2815 Tom Luciano's newest plane the Hatchet, Johnson CS special for power, it was very impressive and sounded wicked

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Dscn2816 Many liked my Big Otto, I rebuilt the nose this week and put on a silver bee.

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Dscn2817 My collection of relics, Half Fast, Sneeker, Renegade, Combat Streak and my Count Clipper. Apparently, I started a new trend with the Count Clipper as we had 4 of them flying with authority today. HP.40 powered versions and some used K&B 61 series .35's. These planes were nicknamed the cast iron clippers due to their weight.

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Dscn2818 Roy Glenn's Riley Wooten Quicker, this was a mean machine today. Roy had a 8x8 white tornado cut down to 7", 40% nitro this thing was on song

Not combat related, cool nonetheless was this Perky. Cox Conquest .15 with a mini pipe for power   Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Dscn2819
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Empty Re: Vintage combat festival in North Jersey

Post  ticomareado Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:09 am

Where in northern NJ could a no muffler event of this scale take place without DHS coming in full SWAT mode?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Vintage combat festival in North Jersey  Empty Re: Vintage combat festival in North Jersey

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:54 am

Garden State Circle Burners field is in Lincoln Pk. It's entirely surrounded by woods and is a uninhabitable area in terms of living quarters. This area is a flood plain  which has more than once been entirely flooded out with more than 3' of water. The Passaic river runs on both sides of this elevated section hence the road name Two Bridges rd. The police even came by to visit today to enjoy and assist in directing leaving traffic from the driveway into the road. My son put on quite a show when he and Roy Glenn put up a fast match with Nelson .36's. A very impressive match which takes a lot of skill.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Swamp critters in Northern Jersey. Who'd have thunk it possible?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:31 pm

Great thread!  Got to make one of these meets this next year !!!

Go Big Otto !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:11 pm

Bunch of good looking planes , I bet you guys did have a blast ! That's a dad of combat there , did the Perky Lady fly ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Eric, I tried to get there as early as possible. It was raining pretty good when I left the house. Upon arrival it was a nice overcast day with a mild breeze.  It was almost a 3 hr drive so I had to leave ample time to pack up and get ready for the trip home. If the Perky did fly, it was after I left which was about 2:15.

When you approached the circle you picked your poison, it was for either speed or pattern flying. At first I thought the idea was silly, but it wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. The diamond airfoil jobs were flopping all over, they go like stink on the level flights but pulling a hard maneuver kills the speed.  You generally trim the plane to turn as tight as it can without stalling. The problem with trying to do certain maneuvers was that they were too pronounced and jerky. It was comical I will say that. I had a good time.

One of the fellows whom I met at Brodak's a few times visited with a few planes. He had the Nelson mounted on a Barracuda and the other plane was owned by another fellow Al who had a Fox MK7 ( Not many of those around ) had my son join up with another fellow to fly a friendly match. I wasn't too keen on the idea, if 2 of these planes have a head on mid-air, there goes several hundred dollars. Nonetheless I still think it's cool, the noise, the speed and the excitement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5V8FttEAyE
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:37 am

Darn that's a lot of driving But well worth it, LOVE the video am sure all you can do to resist going for the kill ( instincts ) Looked like the Fox was doing a good job of keeping up with the Nelson .You guys just have all the Fun! Very Happy Thank You ! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:15 pm

some years back I was at the North West Bladder Grabber (BG).... decades earlier BG was sponsored by Bob Carver of high end stereo component fame.....in the 80s first prize was 10,000 bucks worth of stereo equipment

Any way, as a aging 80+ year old, Bob still enters and competes in Big Block (0.36) Fast combat with balsa planes and does quite well usually in Third or fourth of 13 +/- contestants

Late one Sunday after the contest, and before the awards.... Bob Puts up a test flight on a plane that was giving him fits all weekend... all his pals fussed and fussed with it and they finally got a stable engine run...so there is Bob free style up n down inside and outside with a light plane and probably 105~110 MPH....got bored with lazy eights burning off the bag of fuel ---so he starts dong the stunt pattern, well about 90% of it...I did not recognize an hour glass...but let me tell you, it was pretty amazing to see an very old fart do PAMPA at 100+MPH
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down