Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Cox_ba12

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

The Cars are the Stars Contest.

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Empty Re: The Cars are the Stars Contest.

Post  Marleysky Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:36 am

aspeed wrote:How would a straight line work with the Cox cars?  I think mine has a provision for that.  I put a wire in, for a circle burner, at the balance point but am not sure if it would work.  It may come in on the line, or crab out.  I never tried this thing, the crank has a lot of slop and likely needs a new case, or bushings maybe. ( I have done that)  I would bet it would not hold a needle setting as is, and the plastic tube in the tank is likely powder after 50 years.The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Cox_ca11

You have a cool idea on the circle burner. The actual bridle used is a “v” shape and slides up and into the holes in the frame rail then the ends ar tucked into the other side to hold it in place. I can’t find a pic of a installed one, but here’s a linc to the bridle:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cox-Tether-Car-Bridle-GT-Buick-Etc-Nos-/223443366409?hash=item3406433209%3Ag%3ARFIAAOSwZVpchT%7Eu&nma=true&si=jkeIU16e5sk%252F23SOYo4Z%252FDaxCC8%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I certainly wouldn’t spend $25 on one. I would bend up one out of an old bike spoke, proper sized piece of music wire or a push rod out of a junk plane. lol!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Empty Re: The Cars are the Stars Contest.

Post  aspeed Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:07 pm

You can see the wire I bent up. I figure I can bend it forward or back a bit if it crabs too much or whatever. It should be somewhat like control line planes I guess. It should be possible to get a speed by timing so many laps with whatever length line is used. Ti (pie) X dia. All the other frames I saw have no front suspension. I wonder if mine was an earlier design that was discontinued, or a later idea. The tank says Thimble Drone, so I think it may be an earlier one. IDK. They kind of remind me of the 1/12th scale carpet racer electrics with the gears used.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:12 pm

NEW222 wrote:A question regarding roddies build...... Since he is using a 'traction tire', does it matter where that tire/ engine is placed? Inside or outside, as a reedie can run either direction. Just kinda thinking like a control line plane here, and mI mind is wondering. Very Happy

I thought about that beforehand. I wanted a rear-wheel/direct-drive arrangement for simplicity. I figured that the drive-wheel should be inboard for a roundy-round tether-circuit. It seemed to me that an outboard traction-wheel might crab the chassis inward. Maybe that would be favorable?? IDK. I just hope that I can get the car to move on its own.. without the engine stalling. Direct-drive; even with a mild reed-valve engine is going to be comparable to launching in "high-gear".. especially with a 1.500" X 1/2" slick..

I suppose that I could "treat" different tires*.. to alter their traction-properties if needed; for varying degrees of "slip". The 1.437" X .500" drive-wheel uses stretch-fit (quick-change) 1/2" width "slices" of 26" bicycle-tire "inner-tube" (Butyl-rubber) turned "smooth-side out" for a tire.

I made a few spares..

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Spare-10
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Spare-11
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Spare-12

Redneck? yes.... Laughing

I need to devise a fender of sorts.. to help keep the grit; kicked-up by the drive-wheel, from finding its way into the exhaust-ports of the engine-cylinder.

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 20190410

On the list of "support-equipment" will be my "cordless leaf-blower" to help minimize sand/grit on the chosen tether-circuit.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Empty fuel-tank mount

Post  roddie Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:38 pm

I boxed-off a section where the wedge-tank will locate.. using 1/8" balsa sq. stk. and glued-in a piece of inner-tube rubber for cushioning. I used a sm. sq. rasp to cut notches into the top and bottom of the body for a rubber-band style mounting. The area around the notches was then treated with thin CA for added strength.

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 20190411
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 20190412

The tank sits low.. but the "feed-tube" is just slightly higher than the engines NVA. If I oriented the tank any lower; the bottom-vent would be scraping the pavement. I think it will be fine though.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:12 pm

Lemme see if my math is right at Too late:30 at night.

1.5"x3.14=4.71" circumference.
4.71"x15000rpm=70,650 inches per minute.
70,650/12=5887.5 feet per minute.
5887.5/5280=about 1.1 miles per.minute, or roughly 66 mph!

How much will it weigh? I hope it is going on steel line.
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:27 am

Hey, Roddie, you are well under way. Wouldn't it be better to mount your engine upright. The exhaust port woud be higher fro the round and cooling will improve. It might also be easier to fix a small fender as you suggested.

I would consider to add weight to the rear part to give more grip. Your driving wheel and tyre seem to be very hard. Ony the bike inner tyre gives some softness. I can imagine your wheel spinning round at full revs with the car standing still. What's the width of the wheel? Is that 1/2"? and diameter without tyre 35mm?
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:27 am

Looks good Roddie!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:56 pm

944_Jim wrote:Lemme see if my math is right at Too late:30 at night.

1.5"x3.14=4.71" circumference.
4.71"x15000rpm=70,650 inches per minute.
70,650/12=5887.5 feet per minute.
5887.5/5280=about 1.1 miles per.minute, or roughly 66 mph!

How much will it weigh? I hope it is going on steel line.

Geezus.. it's "too late 30: tonight" for me to understand that math Jim.. Laughing But I like the estimated speed; providing I can get the power to the pavement.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:10 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Hey, Roddie, you are well under way. Wouldn't it be better to mount your engine upright. The exhaust port woud be higher fro the round and cooling will improve. It might also be easier to fix a small fender as you suggested.

I would consider to add weight to the rear part to give more grip. Your driving wheel and tyre seem to be very hard. Ony the bike inner tyre gives some softness. I can imagine your wheel spinning round at full revs with the car standing still. What's the width of the wheel? Is that 1/2"? and diameter without tyre 35mm?

I purposely oriented the engine horizontally with cylinder-forward, to lower the center of gravity.. and to maximize the exposed surface-area of the heat-sink to be facing into the wind-stream. I also wanted unrestricted rear-access to the needle.. and for the fuel-line to also be positioned horizontally; facing forward for a short 180 degree bend back to the wedge-tank's feed on the outboard side of the body.

The drive-wheel/tire set-up will be a "test" for sure. There's no other way to prove it.. other than to try running it with a "bare-bones" chassis. That's what I'm shooting for. More weight may be needed.. but that should be easy to accomplish. I will make provisions for adding weight. It's something that I can do.. in small increments with what I have in mind. Thanks for the suggestion!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:01 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Looks good Roddie!

Thank You Ron. This is turning-out to be a fun build. I honestly wasn't sure if I was ready to take-on another project.. but I love a challenge. I like the feeling of wanting to work "steadily" on a model. It doesn't always happen that way. This is a bit different; being a car. I've never had a petrol-powered model-car.. and this is my chance to actually design/build one.

It's a lot easier to set-up a "tether-car" circuit.. than it is to fly a model airplane.

Last night I made some "mods" to the car. I have a "to-do" list.. and took care of one of those items.. plus a few other things that needed some attention.

The "non-powered" 1/8" dia. music-wire outboard axle slides-into the back of the engine-mount. I designed it that way so that the outboard-axle would be on-center with the engine's crankshaft/inboard drive-wheel. There was a "through-hole" that needed a plug installed to prevent the outboard-axle from sliding in "too far".. which could block the reed-valve engines' air-intake. That was a simple matter.. by inserting (w/CA glue..) a 1/8" hardwood dowel into the hole slightly.. and cutting it off "flush".

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Outboa22
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Outboa23

Then I beefed-up the fuel-tank area.. and cut two different types of material to cushion the tank.

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Fuel_t10
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Fuel_t11
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Fuel_t12
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Fuel_t13
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Fuel_t14

Then I bored a series of holes for the addition of "weight" (if needed..) A while back; I bought some round "Pine-Car" weights that can be inserted into the holes and glued-in,

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Weight11

I still need to "rig" the chassis for a tether.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Empty Riviera dashboard and steering wheel

Post  Mark Diedrichs Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Hello friends, I'm still looking for the dash and steering wheel, I have Riviera chrome parts I would trade. 64 front bumper, 65 rear bumper and 64 tail lights. Thanks Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  DrCox Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:13 am

Mark Diedrichs wrote:Hello friends, I'm still looking for the dash and steering wheel, I have Riviera chrome parts I would trade. 64 front bumper, 65 rear bumper and 64 tail lights. Thanks Mark

Mark, I may have missed it however; I went through the 4 pages of this thread and could not find a request, within this thread, of what model car, dash and steering wheel you are searching for.
DrCox
DrCox
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:29 pm

Oops, It's for the Riviera. Thanks Doc!! Mark
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed May 01, 2019 3:27 pm

How about a fourth category.  A real car carrying a Cox car with an engine and body that won't start or run.

After a frustrating day of trying to get two Cox Mercedes engines and three Enya engines to run I gave up. Walked over to my rebuilt MG and hit the starter, started even before I released the key.  This with a constant depression carburetor and a three week lay-up.  No choke.

Brits rule.

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Tether15
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Tether16
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Tether14

I would post my MG build log but it would run several pages.  You know me and pictures.

Entered and immediately withdrawn for obvious reasons.  

Maybe with enough time and patience I will get that POE (piece of excellence) Cox Mercedes together enough to run on June first, but I doubt it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Wed May 01, 2019 3:41 pm

......and we have a WHINER ! !  OR IS THAT WINER?  Bob, you crack me up! Love the CL MG.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed May 01, 2019 6:18 pm

Marleysky wrote:......and we have a WHINER ! !  OR IS THAT WINER?  Bob, you crack me up! Love the CL MG.

I literally laughed-out-loud.. Yes Robert.. British Leland rules! Do you remember the "Tom Connelly" dealership on US Rt. 1 in Norwood, MA? They were a N.E. US British-Leland dealer/service location. I worked there in the early/mid 1980's.. but it was a GM "Pontiac" dealer at that time. Tom Connolly was a decent man to work for. In those years that I worked for him; he had also bought a small Saab dealership in Medfield, MA ("Hillcrest Saab") and moved it to Norwood. "Tony Camara" was service manager of the Tom Connolly dealerships.. while I was employed there. Tony was my boss.. and a very well-liked/respected man.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed May 01, 2019 7:36 pm

I too vote we have a winner. But, I want to see a video of that one please. Very Happy
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 02, 2019 7:20 am

lol! lol! Good one Bob , if Mark was there he could bee the driver , thats a real Bunitch that the Mers. didnt go , i was looking forward to the run . I guess you didnt test the engine before installing ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Frizzen Sat May 11, 2019 10:16 pm

Gentlemen, these entries are looking awesome!

Now i just want to see the "control line" MG started in gear and run wide open until the carb bowls are empty. Uh, you know, for 'science'.

Frizzen
Frizzen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat May 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Funny Bob,

I have faith that a guy who has restored as many cars as you have can get a Cox engine with 2 moving parts to start.

If you are still messing around with omega type fuels with low nitro and oil it’s time to purchase a couple quarts of Sig Champion 25-35%

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun May 12, 2019 6:37 am

I don't remember the Tom Connelly dealership roddie, but I did buy my wife's 1969 Mustang at Garten Ford in Fall River. I still have the original bill of sale but the Mustang is long gone.

Wouldn't need a driver Eric, just lock the steering wheel and let it chug around a circle at idle about 750 rpm and you know these old tractor engines have a bunch of low end torque. Oh, oh Ron's going to catch me on this one as it has the 1500 CC engine not the MG four bangers of the twenties. Smile

I could get that Mercedes to run in less than a minute if I just installed one of my known good Cox runners. But that's to easy.

Thanks guys for sharing my joke.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 13, 2019 3:23 pm

One more comment and I will let this thing go.

Just for grins I let this MG idle around a circle with the steering wheel locked at about 7/8ths, but with me at the wheel.  After just three loops I was really dizzy and quit.  

No way I'm ever riding a Merry-go-round again. Sad

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Tue May 14, 2019 6:32 pm

If it has a cox engine it might make a full circle....???
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 Empty Work interferes

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 26, 2019 11:09 pm

If you have been around long enough you will know that my job takes me away more than half the year. Of course this time it’s happening right when the contest starts. I want to stay true to the original date so I would like to have all submissions in by 1 June. I will do my best to have a poll set up while I am away, but if not it will give you more time to make a decision.

I will post a separate thread for submissions only closer to the 1 June date. I count nine entries so far, still room for more. I know you guys have cars, all it takes is a picture and a few mins of your time!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs Mon May 27, 2019 4:09 pm

Ron, First of all a big thanks for taking on the car contest!!! Yes I will be participating. Hope everybody else does too. MarkThe Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 20190511
The Cars are the Stars Contest. - Page 4 20171110
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next