Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Cox_ba12

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 10:48 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by getback Today at 9:55 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 8:06 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Empty
Live on Patrol

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............

Go down

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Empty Of all the crazy things that I have bought............

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:18 pm

this is the nuttiest.

This isn't going to work is it?  I mean the fuel draw from the auxiliary tank isn't going to happen.

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Trashe12

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Trashe11

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Trashe13

Looks like a 450QZ (Oct 1965) with a high compression head. Found on the PT-19 trainer.

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Trashe14

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Trashe15
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Empty Re: Of all the crazy things that I have bought............

Post  Admin Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:41 pm

Definitely looks like you got a QZ .049! The engines were also sold separately, and kits were also sold to convert a Babe Bee into a QZ. Everything looks original, right down to the 3 finned high-comp. head. What you need to check for is the #6 non-SPI cylinder.

I can't see that tank setup working, not unless there's something more going on inside that backplate.

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Qz_adv10

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Cox_qz10
I have to fix this crooked scan...

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Of all the crazy things that I have bought............ Empty Re: Of all the crazy things that I have bought............

Post  Marleysky Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 pm

Well, once you remove the engine from the firewall you will be able to see if there possibility was another engine installed originally that required an external tank. When that engine failed, it was replaced by the BB and the tank was left inside the fuse. It does show like it has been run. Maybe they just used the Bee tank and plugged one nipple with the tube left on the old tank. But, no I don’t think the BB would draw fuel from the aux tank!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:04 pm

My guess is it’s an idea that a young lad conjured up.

Could have been worse and drilled a hole in the tank!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:58 pm

It "could" work if you had exhaust pressure running to the sealed auxiliary tank. That's a pretty big tank. Not sure I'd want to be spinning long enough to run that out No!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:12 pm

When I saw the engine on the first post a few days ago, I figured the only way that would work is if the person drilled out the backplate and inserted a tube into the backplate that went down to the bottom outside of the tank.

The Tubular Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:33 pm

Yes, this one is going to be fun to fix-up.

Thinking that I will graft in pieces on the wing to repair then sand down and use the last of my lustrekote yellow to paint. Same on the fuselage and paint Corsair blue, then add tail feathers. But, I'm keeping that weird tank and fuel line. One of a kind.

Trying to nail down what it is. Looks like a Musciano Scientific hollow log Little Mercury or a L'il Bipe minus the top wing.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:44 pm

I'll go agains the odds here on teh tank question. I will say that it will run well. Reason I say that is I had read before online somewhere of what you have pictured. The way was to hook it up as it currently is. You then fill the tank(s) through the fuel nipple that is not hooked up. Once the original 5cc tank was full, the excess fuel would follow the line and continue filling the auxillary tank. The reason I remember reading to do it this way was to eliminate any air / bubbles in the fuel so as not to cause erratic running. I will try to find the article later this evening.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:00 pm

I think this was the thread I was reffering to earlier. These guys were the Cox and 1/2a gurus I started reading about, so I would take things they talk about as true. Anyways, the link is below, and what I was talking about starts on post #5 by ptulmer. Hope you enjoy the little read.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/1-2-1-8-airplanes-70/2921662-can-i-install-larger-fuel-tank-cox-049-a.html

And don't worry, combatpigg never had any issues with drilling holes in Cox tanks to run external tanks. These guys were classic! And some of teh stuff they flew was nuts for speed!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:36 pm

Guru may be a bit strong.

Nobody suggested he purchase a cheap horseshoe backplate for an extended run time. And the fix suggested for his head coming loose was to crank it down harder, all he needed to do was replace the work hardened head shim.

There are more Cox experts here than anywhere else I have seen. I am not one of them!

A lot of times people relate experiences or fixes they did back in the day, right or wrong. Problem with that is a first time reader takes that as gospel and runs with it.

The Kavan extenders were a good idea, but are a pain to seal and cause more problems than they help.

I would like to see that vent tube aux tank work in real life. In theory it could work I suppose, but it would be very problematic in a control line setup. Vibration causes foaming and fuel sloshes around. I just don’t think there is enough vacuum present to draw fuel from the internal tank and keep drawing it from the fill tube across 4” of fuel line from an auxiliary tank. You will get bubbles regardless.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:04 am

Well in theory it may work but what Ron said is true too about the foaming and i didnt see were they said anything about using something for it as Armor All . Babe Bee .049 Bee interesting to know if it would though ! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down