Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

FAA Registration Cox_ba12

FAA Registration Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 6:43 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:48 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 10:15 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:26 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:43 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Mon May 13, 2024 7:37 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

FAA Registration Empty
Live on Patrol

FAA Registration

Go down

FAA Registration Empty FAA Registration

Post  YakNine Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:13 pm

I got an Email from the AMA today about FAA Registration I really haven't been paying attention to this because I thought that it was over turned in court. I only fly CL so am I exempt because we technically are not unmanned?TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

FAA Registration Empty Re: FAA Registration

Post  Jason_WI Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:28 pm

It got overturned in court because the FAA made a ruling. With the FAAs motto being “We’re not happy until you’re not happy” they had that same ruling written into a bill that was passed by both house and the senate and Trump signed it into law. So now registration is required again. AMA has done nothing to curb this. I don’t think they were invited to the last summit. It was all Amazon, eBay, and military contractors.

With OCAs Crazy Eyes Green New Deal air travel will be banned in ten years and we can have our sky’s back for models. Crazy Eyes Crazy Eyes Crazy Eyes
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:17 pm

When I looked at the earlier FAA verbiage that got overturned, without putting on "lawyer glasses", it "appeared" that "tethered drone" included Control Line aircraft. Yet a few was saying that on a local level, the inspectors did not consider CL to be a drone because there was no radio control and in free flight controlled by radio.

CL is technically not remotely piloted because there is a definite man airplane link through the handle, cables and aircraft control system (bellcrank, pushrod and elevator horn).

However, if one has an RC transmitter controlling the throttle and may be retracting landing gear and flaps, then may have to opt.

I did it when it was free (refunded $5 on my credit card). But in a year, 3 years will pass and I will have to renew again.

So, I'm covered. Others may do as they please, but if it means getting into trouble with our "toy" airplanes, no citation is worth the hassle over a $5 fee. Place to fight it is through our representatives, municipal, county, state, and federal.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Jason_WI wrote:It got overturned in court because the FAA made a ruling. With the FAAs motto being “We’re not happy until you’re not happy” they had that same ruling written into a bill that was passed by both house and the senate and Trump signed it into law. So now registration is required again. AMA has done nothing to curb this. I don’t think they were invited to the last summit. It was all Amazon, eBay, and military contractors.

With OCAs Crazy Eyes Green New Deal air travel will be banned in ten years and we can have our sky’s back for models. Crazy Eyes Crazy Eyes Crazy Eyes

Now thats funny!!! Good one!!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave P. Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:25 pm

I think I read somewhere recently that Canada just made it law that drone pilots must be licensed.  Any of our neighbors to the North know anything?

I'll bet it's only a matter of time before the FAA requires similar licensing in the US.  As it is, if I remember right, if you are a licensed pilot of full-scale aircraft in the US now, and are found to be in violation of any of the FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations) concerning unmanned aircraft, including not having your aircraft properly marked with your FAA number, your license can be suspended or even revoked.  That part got my attention.
Dave P.
Dave P.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:08 pm

I'm in Canada.  I don't totally understand it all.  It is constantly changing.  Under 250 g. is no problem.  250g to 1 KG had some much more strict rules, then over 1kg was even worse.  Now it seems that it is just anything over 250g is the same.  It will be in force in June, so there is still back and forth.  Any MAAC (AMA clone) club can run the way it is now plus any minor changes TC (Transport Canada) decides to add.  So far it looks like just adding your MAAC # and the MAAC email and phone# to your plane.  Yes even control line planes.  Off of a MAAC field things change drastically.  So much so, that I am not sure I can fly in my back yard.  (over Lake Erie) without that license.  There is also a $10 license fee, and $5 for the plane/drone.  You must notify TC of transfer of your plane (imagine swap meets)  I am not sure if the $5 model fee would be for all your planes.  I have maybe 50 of different sorts.  Surface vehicles are exempt though.  I won't get too excited till June though, because things are not set in stone-yet.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

I live 2 miles from the Trump National Golf Club where the potus spends a lot of time in the summer and am right in the no fly zone.I always wondered if I put up my Lil Wizard if I would get whacked with a death Ray maybe as long as I use Dacron lines and not stainless lines I might survive. TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

FAA Registration Empty RE: FAA Registration

Post  66 Malibu Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 pm

At the local Flying Club East of Atlanta, the FBI and Homeland Security made several visits a while back and banned all flying of drones or helicopters for flight security reasons.
The club is at least 25 miles from Hartsfield Airport and the air traffic overhead is at least a mile high or more. It didn't matter to the Feds that no air vehicle that's ever been at the club could fly that high. The Club President was ordered to stop NOW !!!
Since a large percentage of the club was flying drones, (only a few were bigger than toys) the club membership dropped off and it became an airplane only club again.
Next action was to shut the club down for good if no compliance.

FYI, Steve...
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:04 am

Am I to understand the gov is regulating control line models again ?
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:40 am

chevyiron420 wrote:Am I to understand the gov is regulating control line models again ?
I think what the problem is for us is that CL is such a small part of the AMA's membership they probably won't put forwrd the effort to have us seperated from the RC guys. I believe last summer the Middlesex Modelers held one of their contests at the Garden State Circle Burners Field because their field was in the no fly zone when POTUS was at his golf club, their field is owned by the town I don't know who made the call, the FAA , Secret Service, AMA, or the town Of Middlesex, or even the club for that matter, but I believe that is why they went to the GSCB field because it is outside the no fly zone. I guess a call to my district Vice President is in order.TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:26 am

[quote="YakNine"]
chevyiron420 wrote:I guess a call to my district Vice President is in order.TJ
May not also hurt to visit the city council when they have their meetings, and meet with your city council representative. Develop a rapport with them. Hand Shake Let them, who have influence over the city emergency responders deal with the Feds. Plus, if you have kids involved, that could have a positive influence on the city council. You're helping to keep kids out of trouble. Clapping
Just a few thoughts. Computer Issues Popcorn Airplane
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 pm

https://www.modelaircraft.org/faa-uas-frequently-asked-questions

Q: Do only drones and multirotor operators need to register?

A: Anyone who flies a model that can freely navigate in the air and uses a remote control device (e.g. RC transmitter) is required to register. This includes drones, traditional fixed wing model aircraft, model helicopters, and other remote controlled model aircraft.

If you exclusively fly models weighing under a half pound  (250 grams or .55 pounds), indoors, control line, or free flight models - you do not need to register.

Q: I only fly CL, FF, or indoors - do I need to register?

A: No. If you exclusively fly indoors, FF, or CL you do not need to register.
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Does anyone have any stories about someone flying an R/C model without "zee proper paperz" (but otherwise prudently and safely) being confronted by "zee Luftmodel Gestapo" ?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:12 pm

Don't know about any FAA inspectors showing up at a modelling field to examine registrations, but here's one that FAA got someone cited $55,000 US for alleged drone violations.

https://www.dailysignal.com/2016/06/12/he-flew-a-drone-to-take-photos-for-a-friend-now-hes-facing-55k-in-government-fines/
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  YakNine Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 am

thanks for posting that TL No wording like that was in the E-mail that the AMA sent out 2 days ago, but it is now up on their website . I work under the authority of the FRA which is the Railroad equivalent of the FAA and if I know anything about dealing with Govt. agencies paperwork is everything !!! Smile TJ
YakNine
YakNine
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:47 am

Also Flying RC electric Foamies , we dutifully sent our $5 in and got a number…. We fly RC a few miles from a large joint services military base, and they’ve "checked” on us before … I personally can’t see where this would apply to Control line planes , but you know how bureaucrats love their paperwork … and our $5 … Laughing
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down