Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

FAA to require registration of all unmanned aircraft Cox_ba12

FAA to require registration of all unmanned aircraft Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:24 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Today at 11:48 am

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Today at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Today at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:12 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 8:57 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

FAA to require registration of all unmanned aircraft Empty
Live on Patrol

FAA to require registration of all unmanned aircraft

Go down

Thinking FAA to require registration of all unmanned aircraft

Post  fredvon4 Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:08 am

I encourage every one to please read the FAA request for comments at

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-4378-0022

Then consider this information

I have commented many times on these things, mostly Amateur radio related with the FCC

Always astounds me how many have and opinion but fail to read the proposal, the agencies intent, or the current law, and try to answer the specific questions they seek information or opinions for

Clear to me the Congress told the FAA to start enforcing that which is already law, well defined, and tested:

REF tested: Administrator v. Pirker, NTSB Order No. EA-5730, at 12 (Nov. 17, 2014) (affirming that the statutory definition of aircraft is clear and unambiguous and “includes any air aircraft, manned or unmanned, large or small.”). Because UAS, including model aircraft, are aircraft, they are subject to FAA regulation, including the statutory requirements regarding registration set forth in 49 U.S.C. 44101(a), and further prescribed in regulation at 14 CFR part 47.

I encourage every one to comment before Nov 6th.

I do for a fact know they have teams reviewing and sorting the comments. A few years back, twice I had to retrieve quite a bit of data from them for a report I did as an Army Test and Evaluation Command (ATEC) Test Officer.

Read their specific questions and try to answer or opine relating to the question

You may opine that they should do nothing but it is worthless writing

I have read a cross section (55) of the 325+ comments...most are worthless

It would help a lot if most aero modelers would focus on the massive effort it would take to register every modeler much less each and every aircraft. Many of us have over 20 model airplanes.
How would they ever know how many scratch built aircraft there exists?
How much is this going to cost me/us?
Is there a negative impact to the business and suppliers of kit, ARFs, parts, and associated hobby supplies?
How many adult citizens will not be aware due to a significant part of the population (IIRC it is 18%) does not use the internet?
What are the impacts if I decide to NOT comply and register my models?
Question #2 begs the question how are we to transfer ownership from swap meet or e-bay etc. used aircraft?
Question #4 is a big area we can educate the members on by describing a class of model, it's use, quantity constructed in a year or lifetime and how many destroyed during trimming , testing or flying

I think the best we can do is inform the members just how massive, expensive, and unworkable registration of ALL unmanned aircraft is

In 2012, Congress confirmed that UAS, including those used for recreation or hobby purposes, are aircraft consistent with the statutory definition set forth in 49 U.S.C. 40102(a)(6). See Public Law 112-95, sec. 331(Cool, 336 (defining an unmanned aircraft as “an aircraft that is that is operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft,” and model aircraft as “an unmanned aircraft that is capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere, flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft, and flown for hobby or recreational purposes”

These members need to know there are millions of citizens with millions of unmanned aircraft.

Our focus; control line flight is just a meager proportion of the universe of all unmanned aircraft. But we must insist (in numbers) that tethered flight air craft should be exempt

Hell dime store $1.89 hand launched gliders would require registration unless we respond well to question #4
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: FAA to require registration of all unmanned aircraft

Post  getback Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:21 am

well this sucks ,, Fred is the Comment Now button where you need to complain on this page ? http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=FAA-2015-4378-0022
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:42 am

Yes you can comment from the blue comment button top right

You might be interested in the other 300+ comments and there are links to see them too on the page
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:29 pm

So who owns the airspace over my dads 450 acre farm? The FAA has control from AVL? I though if we were below 400' there isn't a problem. What about model rockets? The old Estes Comanche III would go to 2200'.

I say good luck getting them to register every dime store foam glider. All this is is a revenue generator for the FAA. Large migratory birds cause more damage to aircraft than any drone would.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:13 pm

Most RC and none are all flown well under 400ft unless its a glider in a thermal.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Unfortunately it was bound to happen, almost like gun control...it's sad that modern society would rather regulate than educate.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:34 pm

Yep, you will have to register your frisbee!!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:49 pm

The should fly under 400 AGL is an AMA safety recommendation within 3 miles of an airport. Out side that you must (AMA recommendation) fly no higher than you can see the craft...again not enforceable nor any penalty (other than being kicked out of the AMA)

AMA safety rules are not civilly or criminally binding on any citizen in the USA

The FAA requires notification of the airfield operators for flights above 400 AGL within 5 miles of the airport and of course they frequently set Notice to Airmen (NOTAMs) that are civilly and criminally enforceable; such as no fly zones

The reality is, away from an airport there is no restriction on altitude in the National Air Space (NAS)

The courts have decided decades ago that the NAS can be as low as necessary to conduct safe flight operations and upheld the taking of property when a landing pattern put loud military aircraft under 200 feet over a dairy farmers property disturbing the owners and livestock.  In the case the government was compelled to compensate the farmer. Still it was precedent setting

Recently folks claim the right to shoot down overflying craft on their property...unless you have a lot of witnesses and proof the drone was trespassing, you will get in big federal trouble thinking you OWN the airspace above your property

Of course al this is a distraction

The government seek to register all UN MANNED AIRCRAFT and the current definition includes every model we use for hobby purposes

Please read the FAA docket I linked to above, then read a few of the comments

If this doesn't concern you ...well what can I say...we get the government we vote for

sarcastically...by a whole lot of uninformed/ignorant voters

Last edited by fredvon4 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:11 pm

well looks like more immigrants to Australia then Australia lol!
at least we have none of this flim flam just we have to fly under 400ft because we have a nearby airport equipped with radar and a nearby R.A.A.F base with f18s and blackhawks
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down