Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Cox_ba12

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:51 pm

» Tired of it all…
by 706jim Today at 10:03 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:58 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Empty
Live on Patrol

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid)

Go down

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Empty My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid)

Post  OVERLORD Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:20 am

This is my new free flight airplane. It's a delta wing made from a drawing found on Outerzone:

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10791

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Delta_10

The plane is mainly build with Coroplast sheet apart from the wooden bulkheads and wing stiffeners.

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5411

The plane is powered by a Pee Wee mounted at the back and a 3 blade 3.125x2.5 prop. The knob of the needle valve is just at the same level of the wing. in order to turn the needle easisly, I attached a piece of music wire with a blob of époxy.

Hey René, this is the trade engine you sent me !!

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5412

I started the build with the fuselage. The bottom and sides were cut in 1 piece out of a sign board and then folded and glued with 2 balsa bulkheads + one in the nose and the motor mount. The nose was left long enough to be cut to size after glueing.

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) P1261310

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5228

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5227

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5229

The wing and tail fin were cut out of a thinner blue sheet I found at our local DIY for 1 EUR.

The wing panel is kept straight by some sort of wooden stiffeners that also provide stability I think. After cutting and 3 coats of dope, they were painted in red PU paint. The elevons are kept in place by 2 retainers glued on the tips. The elevon angle given on the plan is exact the one that is needed.

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5230

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5413

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5414

The canopy was cut out of a hand soap bottle and glued on. The area covered by the canopy was first coloured black with a pen.

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5417

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5415

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5416

The nose cone is a piece of leading edge, doped and painted black. This picture was taken after glide testing.

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5418

And the plane does fly!!

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Instan13
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Empty Re: My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid)

Post  Marleysky Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:42 am

Greetings! Yes, that little PeeWee does look good on your plane. Glad to see you get her up in the air! Very nice build using coroplast.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Empty Re: My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid)

Post  rsv1cox Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:30 am

Another good one Lieven.

Enjoyed the re-purposed Palmolive container.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:06 pm

Would there be any weight savings using Dollartree foam board instead of coroplast?
ticomareado
ticomareado
Account Under Review

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:49 pm

Thanks for your comments. I don't know Dollartree foam board  Foam board might be lighter but know that weight is not an issue. This plane weights complete 170g. A Pee Wee can pull up more airplane weight than that.

The video I recorded yesterday;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeG-ZJmXCAU
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:02 am

Looks like it would make a nice model for single channel or multi RC, too. Perhaps then lighter weight foamboard might have an advantage to offset the weight of the radio equipment?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:28 am

Great little plane and flys well ! I see after the power cut it took to straight flight why is that ? Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:51 pm

The model was designed for single channel RC with a rubber band escapement.

Eric, the plane glides back to earth in a straight line because there isn't anything to create a right hand turn. I've read that by altering the position of an elevon, a right hand turn can be created but I don't know which elevon to alter and to give more or less lift. During glide testing, I increased the angle of 1 elevon to see what that did but the model kept on gliding straight. I also added a weight to the right wing but that didn't make any difference either.

I now only rely on a fast descend to prevent the plane from flying too far away.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Thanks OVERLORD for the explanation, I should have read more closely the Outerzone description. Since it is rudder only, to make it turn as a free flight would be rudder offset during glide and engine side (offset) thrust to moderate turn under power. (May be more sensitive rudder one way than the other due to engine torque.)

Following is a translation of the German text in the plan:

Das Wochenend-Modell - einfach zu bauen und leicht zu fliegen
The Weekend Model - easy to build and easy to fly

Modellentwurf: Hartwig Eßl, Spannweite 498 mm, Rumpflänge 580 mm
Model design: Hartwig Essl, wingspan 498 mm, hull length 580 mm

Fernsteuerung: 1-2-Kanal-Kleinstempfänger
Remote control: 1-2-channel micro receiver

Motor: 0,33 ccm (COX PEE WEE Oder COX TEE DEE 020)
Engine: 0.33 cc (COX PEE WEE OR COX TEE DEE 020)

MT-Bauplan-Nr.569 - Maßstab 1:1
MT-Plan No. 569 - scale 1:1

Verlag für Technik und Handwerk, Baden-Baden
Publishing house for technology and crafts, Baden-Baden

(Text by the engine)
Richtung der motorachse geht aus dem text hervor
Direction of the motor axis is apparent from the text

I think that one could even power it with a Wen Mac Mark II engine (the one with glow plug head and no spring starter assembly, weight 1.1 oz.)

Interestingly, the plan only shows the elevon construction on one side. It would make sense on both sides. Perhaps it was intended to be on only one side depended on to counteract engine torque for straight flight with a gentle climb, then compensate with rudder during glide? Without the engine article, comment next to the engine leaves one clueless.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:48 am

Yes George, it's too bad that the article that appeared in the magazine is not available. Détails about engine running direction and maybe other things good to know are explained. It caught my eye as well that the elevon is drawn only on 1 side. But I think you need them on both sides. There is no photo of the plane except this one:

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Delta_11

It can be found on an eBay page of a chap who sells the plan.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/Bauplan-X-12-Modellbauplan-Kleines-Delta-Modell-Modellbau/170986554137?hash=item27cf97c319:g:NKQAAOSwSdZWctwV

The picture is not very clear but there are definitely 2 longitudinal stiffeners in the wing, so I suppose there are 2 elevons as well.

Maybe the easiest thing to do is to fix a tiny trim tab on the rudder for right turn during gliding.

VTH still exists. I ordered a Graupner boat plan from them a few years ago.

https://www.vth.de/

OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:41 am

This is the flight of the video drawn on a Google Maps picture. On the picture is a scale of 50m. the distance without the circles is about 300m.

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Delta_12
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun May 05, 2019 5:44 am

Because a plane always looks nicer with wheels when not flying, I made a dummy landing gear for the X-12. It was made from 10mm wide aluminium and clamps onto the fuselage. The wheels are the ones Bernie sells per 10 pcs. The axle is just a bicycle spoke that fits the wheel holes well. The wheel retainers are cut off insulation bits from an electrical cable.

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5529

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5528

My latest free flight plane: a PeeWee powered jet fighter (don't miss the vid) Imgp5527
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 05, 2019 8:44 pm

Looks good Lieven, nice flight too. Pee Wee could use a little tuning for a better run however, it was perfect for where you were.

I like the free flights!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon May 06, 2019 6:26 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Looks good Lieven, nice flight too. Pee Wee could use a little tuning for a better run however, it was perfect for where you were.

I like the free flights!

Thanks. The flight in the video was the first and only descent flight of the plane with the 3 blade 3.125 prop. I've tried that prop several times now and I find that this prop doesn't match the PeeWee. The RPM is not constant, erratic and there is no power. They're  a waste of money. The Thimble Drome 4.5 props work very well. After many trials and craches, I changed the 3 blade for a 4.75 Super prop and all rpm problems were gone instantly. Luckily, the plane is very sturdy and can absorb some abuse. I'd like to build a scale model from scratch but the initial tests with a new built plane frighten me a lot. I recorded vids where the plane goes up and straight down again with running engine or where it circles at 1m above the ground before crashing.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down